PDA

View Full Version : Homemade trailer cage

Chilehead
10-18-2010, 11:22 PM
My trailer currently does not have a cage, and I could use one for extra storage. Considering that the structural components of most cages is angle iron (tubular if high-end), I had considered constructing one out of some unused bed frame rails I have. Yes, I actually have about 8 rails I will never use, but acquired over the years from people I know who were going to throw them away. Now I may have a use for them. Is this doable?

Gravel Rat
10-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Keep in mind bed frames are usually high strength steel you won't beable to drill it. To cut them it will be with a carbon blade (zip disk) everything will have to be welded.

Chilehead
10-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to get around welding anything (I never have).

bmxdude
10-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Harborfrieghts having a sale (when aren't they though)
And i got a 90 amp flux welder for like 95$ and used it to weld ladder racks for my trailer.
It might be handy for you to pick one up and learn to weld?

knox gsl
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Tractor Supply sells the boxes for trailers cheap, but I think I would buy a small welder first and have another tool on hand.

gasracer
10-19-2010, 09:02 PM
There is a lot of work that goes into a Landscape cage. I bought one from my local lawn shop for $275. I had my welder attach it to some plates and then bolted it to the trailer so when I want to go to a larger trailer or sale it can be removed.If you are just wanting a storage box for the front of your trailer TSC sales all types and sizes.Some people around here use truck bed boxes on there trailer.

Chilehead
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Harborfrieghts having a sale (when aren't they though)
And i got a 90 amp flux welder for like 95$ and used it to weld ladder racks for my trailer.
It might be handy for you to pick one up and learn to weld?

I agree, I need to learn how to weld (and I want to also). People have told me that stick and arc welding is easy as pie. MIG and TIG takes some more practice from what I hear.

gasracer
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I agree, I need to learn how to weld (and I want to also). People have told me that stick and arc welding is easy as pie. MIG and TIG takes some more practice from what I hear.

Mig is control and Tig is a pure art form..

Chilehead
10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Mig is control and Tig is a pure art form..

I'd really like to learn TIG. I am an avid cyclist, and would love to build my own high-end steel frame out of something like Columbus' Foco, or Reynold's 853 tubing. Then again, my dream frame would not be welded--it would be lugged.