PDA

View Full Version : Any know how to wire remote for dump trailer???

maelawncare
10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
I bought a used dump trailer last month. I have been running into quite a few things wrong with it. Chasing down wire after wire. I am now on my remote.

For some reason this guy wired up a solenoid onto the pump and remote. So that after you have the bed up, if you push the button to go down the pump runs and forces it down. This creates some problems. one the pump is running so its eating up more batter. And two since its running, if you have weight it while going back down it jerks a LOT.

Every dump i have ever used did not run the motor while going down. I think it is supposed open a valve and the weight of the bed brings it back down. But this one just runs.

How do i rewire it so that it will work the way it is supposed to?

Also, does anyone know if i can just run a 12v wire from my trailer plug to my battery to charge it? Its on a 03 7.3L f350.

ljhanson12345
10-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Also, does anyone know if i can just run a 12v wire from my trailer plug to my battery to charge it? Its on a 03 7.3L f350.

If there's a will there's a way

maelawncare
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
lol. I know theres a way. I just dont want it to ruin anything. Like if the battery on the trailer has a less charge than the ones on the truck. Will the alternator keep running and keep charging the truck batterys while trying to charge the trailer one? You would think that the factor connections to the trailer would not let it damage anything. But idk

The most important thing is to figure out the wiring on the remote first though.

hosejockey2002
10-19-2010, 10:04 PM
That pump assembly is probably designed to use power down, not gravity. I'm not sure if it can be converted.

maelawncare
10-19-2010, 10:19 PM
That pump assembly is probably designed to use power down, not gravity. I'm not sure if it can be converted.

But it is quite obvious that he added that relay himself. Here are pics of it.

CLARK LAWN
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
2 hoses means its a double acting cyl. it is designed for power down. he may have had some wire issues and replaced them.

knox gsl
10-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Yes the battery will charge off the truck. If you have a 7way RV plug then look at the end of it. You will see 6 flat pins and a hole in the middle. The pin in the 10:30 position should have 12+ volts and it should be fused at 20 amps. Most trucks this only works when the truck is running. When hooking up your trailer with a low battery chare it with jumper cables or battery charger, if not you may blow that small fuse. Also when dumping leave the truck running and it will recharge.

hawkerhino
10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes the battery will charge off the truck. If you have a 7way RV plug then look at the end of it. You will see 6 flat pins and a hole in the middle. The pin in the 10:30 position should have 12+ volts and it should be fused at 20 amps. Most trucks this only works when the truck is running. When hooking up your trailer with a low battery chare it with jumper cables or battery charger, if not you may blow that small fuse. Also when dumping leave the truck running and it will recharge.

yes the hot wire is in the 7 way plug. it only works when the key is on. also you can up the fuse to a 40amp. lots of RV pullers up it to 40amp to run slideouts in and out....

knox gsl
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
yes the hot wire is in the 7 way plug. it only works when the key is on. also you can up the fuse to a 40amp. lots of RV pullers up it to 40amp to run slideouts in and out....

I said 20amp because the truck wiring harness usually doesn't hae a large enough wire to send 40 amps through.