PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine Problem, Help please!

BikePilot
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I went out of town and came home to my St Augustine looking yellow. I have done research but haven't had time to eliminate all possibilities down to a few. The obvious possibilities are St Augustine Decline (SAD), Iron chlorosis, fungus, chinch bug damage. I am leaning toward SAD or Iron chlorosis but not really sure. Please help with recommendations. This is my personal yard so luckily not a customer but I don't want mine dying either.

ted putnam
10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Does not look like any SAD I've seen. A couple of the leaves look like they may have some lesions on them, so possible Gray leaf spot. What have temps been in your area? I have seen St Aug look like that after some pretty cool nights right before dormancy.

BikePilot
10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
In the Atlanta area. Temps at night up to this point are low 50's. I thought about spraying some Iron on the yard to eliminate Iron Chlorosis which seems to be possibility. It's not a beautiful yard by any means and is actually a great test bed. I have everything except zoysia.

cpel2004
10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
When was the last time you sharpened your blades? When was your last chemical application? Its not grey leaf spots or drugs.

Turf Dawg
10-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Looks to me like you might be starting to get some Brown Patch. Are the affected areas in irregular circular type shapes? You might give the infected areas a tug and see if it pulls easily from the ground to check for Grub problems. Brown Patch will cause the grass blades to pull from the runners easily.

RAlmaroad
10-20-2010, 03:48 AM
How much rain have you had? Could you take some photos of a larger area when it is daylight? Fungal issues now are "iffy" unless you've have them back when humidity was so high. Have you applied any fertilize lately?

BikePilot
10-20-2010, 06:04 AM
I will take some better pics soon. I last applied fert at the end of July and at the end of September I applied Barricade. The grass does pull easy from the runners but the roots do not easily come up with it. This is the only grass in my yard I am having trouble with. It is not in irregular circle shapes. My St Aug is only in areas and has done really well up to this point. It was here when I bought and I have promoted its spreading by sprigging runners in different areas. We have had no rain to speak of but I have never had this problem in the 6 years Ive been here under same conditions. I have a 36in hustler hydro walk behind and sharpen blades monthly. I only cut my yard and neighbor. Thanks

Turf Dawg
10-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I really think you have Brown Patch but I would also like to see some pics of a larger area. In my area Brown Patch generally starts to hit a few weeks ago when the night time temps really start to become cooler and the dew starts to build after dark and stays on the ground until mid morning. Brown Patch affects the area where the grass blades meet the stolons/runners so the blades start to turn to a lighter green then yellow then brown. When the blades turn yellow they will pull easily from the runners. The good thing is that the runners and roots are not affected so the grass will come back next year although the affect areas usually do not green up as fast as the rest of the lawn because the cool nights and dew in the spring can cause this to hang around. The reason I do not think it is Gray Leaf Spot is because that generally hits in the summer and starts out as small triangular shaped lesions on the grass blades. Take All Patch affects the roots of the St Augustine and will cause the blades and runners to die. It causes the roots to become hard and die and the runners will pull up from the soil.

gunsnroses
10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I really think you have Brown Patch but I would also like to see some pics of a larger area. In my area Brown Patch generally starts to hit a few weeks ago when the night time temps really start to become cooler and the dew starts to build after dark and stays on the ground until mid morning. Brown Patch affects the area where the grass blades meet the stolons/runners so the blades start to turn to a lighter green then yellow then brown. When the blades turn yellow they will pull easily from the runners. The good thing is that the runners and roots are not affected so the grass will come back next year although the affect areas usually do not green up as fast as the rest of the lawn because the cool nights and dew in the spring can cause this to hang around. The reason I do not think it is Gray Leaf Spot is because that generally hits in the summer and starts out as small triangular shaped lesions on the grass blades. Take All Patch affects the roots of the St Augustine and will cause the blades and runners to die. It causes the roots to become hard and die and the runners will pull up from the soil.

what he said

cpel2004
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
When was the last time you sharpened your blades? When was your last chemical application? Its not grey leaf spots or drugs.

Lol I was trying to say bugs not drugs, lol! Im sure its Brown Patch.

Turf Dawg
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Lol I was trying to say bugs not drugs, lol! Im sure its Brown Patch.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I was thinking when you said "drugs" that you were talking about chemicals.

Now we know where your mind is at :laugh::laugh::laugh:

BikePilot
10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Think I should treat it with a fungicide or let it recover next year out of dormancy?

Thanks to all

lawnrx
10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm also in 30214(eagles brooke) don't worry. its going into dormancy. its not bugs or fungus. I have some St Augustine yards that i take care of and they are well into dormancy now. it will look great next year.

Tim Smith
10-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Brown patch is my guess but I have been reminded we have to start calling it large patch haha I hate the new name myself
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
10-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm also in 30214(eagles brooke) don't worry. its going into dormancy. its not bugs or fungus. I have some St Augustine yards that i take care of and they are well into dormancy now. it will look great next year.

I agree with you. Like I said in an earlier post, I start seeing that with cool nights before they go dormant. In fact I noticed it in a St Aug/zoysia/bermuda mix lawn I sprayed today.

cgaengineer
10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Atlanta is a bit far north for SA (yes it will survive, but that is not an optimal location), I have an SA lawn in Snellville that I mow that started turning yellow about 1 month ago...this lawn receives zero fertilizer, its about 1.5 acres. The SA at this location is many years old and was originally sprigged, I think you are fine and it will return to normal next season. If I remember I will snap a picture since that is one of the lawns I will be servicing tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

southernprecision
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
With St Auggie, fungus usually requires some sort of catalyst to kick it into high gear.. Lack of rain, screwed up ph, current or past insect damage... and of course drought. My method of breakdown... even if it is grey leaf or brown patch, check soil moisture. If that is good, pull on turf, if it pulls up with no resistance then look for grubs(around here they are about .25 or .5 under soil). If ground is soft but not grubs and dry soil...check for Mole crickets. Beyond that... check your fert program...take a soil sample...send off root sample for nematodes, or pray it just got pi$$ed you left it and will decide to come back next season.

cpel2004
10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
With St Auggie, fungus usually requires some sort of catalyst to kick it into high gear.. Lack of rain, screwed up ph, current or past insect damage... and of course drought. My method of breakdown... even if it is grey leaf or brown patch, check soil moisture. If that is good, pull on turf, if it pulls up with no resistance then look for grubs(around here they are about .25 or .5 under soil). If ground is soft but not grubs and dry soil...check for Mole crickets. Beyond that... check your fert program...take a soil sample...send off root sample for nematodes, or pray it just got pi$$ed you left it and will decide to come back next season.

I thought Mole Crickets were primarly attracted to Bermuda and not ST.A?

cgaengineer
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM

Probably more common to SA in FL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Antaw

Page 124 of my older Florida Lawn Handbook. Yea I had to look it up to be sure.

St Augustine grass is also damaged SOMEWHAT by Mole Crickets, But due to its more canopy type growth habit and course root system, it does not exhibit as severe a response to Mole Crickets as does Bahia.

I capitalized SOMEWHAT. I have never seen or had a problem with Mole Crickets on S A.

cpel2004
10-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Antaw

Page 124 of my older Florida Lawn Handbook. Yea I had to look it up to be sure.

I capitalized SOMEWHAT. I have never seen or had a problem with Mole Crickets on S A.

Lol, its always good to hear from you Ric. Slowly but surely I'm getting this Applicator thing down, Ric(at least the identification). Its slower than I would like but hey that's life! I wish you lived here on the east coast.

ArTurf
10-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I will take some better pics soon. I last applied fert at the end of July and at the end of September I applied Barricade. The grass does pull easy from the runners but the roots do not easily come up with it. This is the only grass in my yard I am having trouble with. It is not in irregular circle shapes. My St Aug is only in areas and has done really well up to this point. It was here when I bought and I have promoted its spreading by sprigging runners in different areas. We have had no rain to speak of but I have never had this problem in the 6 years Ive been here under same conditions. I have a 36in hustler hydro walk behind and sharpen blades monthly. I only cut my yard and neighbor. Thanks

I have seen bermuda yellowed from pre-emergent in the fall. It was so bad looking I thought it was not coming back. Not saying that is what this is but food for thought. I have pretty much stopped using pre-emergent, not for this reason just a change in philosophy.