PDA

View Full Version : Need help Front Mounting Leaf Vacuum

wheel10
10-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi all. Great site you have here. Recently I purchased a 23 horse Billy Goat leaf Vac with the intent of mounting it on the front of our F-450 Dump. We have a class III receiver there and after doing some research it appeared as though this would work.
We made a very nice bracket for the Vac to sit in and slides into the receiver. However once we put it in place it looks like it is just to shaky, mounting solely by the 2 inch receiver. It bounces and tips too much for me to feel safe driving. It's a big unit, The vac weighs 399 lbs. The bracket we made basically looks like those receiver cargo carriers you get from cabelas, etc and should be good to at least 500 lbs but it just doesn't look safe.

Any ideas on how to shore it up a bit. For those of you with front mount vacs, are you just plugged into the receiver?

I thought about welding two more receivers onto either side of the stock receiver. What are your thoughts about that. Thanks alot in advance.

Mike

godzilla
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I have my vac unit mounted on the front in a similar style to what you have. The way I stabilize it is with 2 big turnbuckles. I went out and bought the biggest ones I could find, bolted them into the front bumper and attached one to either side of the mount. Works well for me.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-20-2010, 03:07 PM
how about heavy ratchet straps

STIHL GUY
10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
i dont mean to get off topic but how does a 23HP vac only weigh 399lbs?? i have a 16HP and it weighs in around 600lbs according to the giant vac website

punt66
10-21-2010, 09:41 AM
It is illegal to mount a vac in the front. Dont say you were not warned. :drinkup:

godzilla
10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
It is illegal to mount a vac in the front. Dont say you were not warned. :drinkup:

I've heard of this, but never seen it enforced. Spoken with cops about it, was told that unless they pull you over (for something else) and start getting attitude you're not gonna get into trouble.

punt66
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I've heard of this, but never seen it enforced. Spoken with cops about it, was told that unless they pull you over (for something else) and start getting attitude you're not gonna get into trouble.

Its DOT you have to worry about. They will find much more too!