PDA

View Full Version : Resources I must have

BLC1
10-20-2010, 10:31 PM
What are some good resources to keep educating myself over the winter. What websites, books, etc do I need to look at?

Ric
10-20-2010, 10:36 PM
BLC

Check into Purdue University's On Line Turf Management program if they still offer it.

GravyTrain
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Is this the link you were referring to? If so, I know what I'll be doing starting this weekend.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/index.html

Ric
10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Is this the link you were referring to? If so, I know what I'll be doing starting this weekend.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/index.html

Gravy Train

Yep that looks like the program I have heard so much about. Purdue is a 1st Class University and I would say go for it. HOWEVER Check out Georgia A&M for the same type of program but geared more toward Warm Season Turf.

BikePilot
10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Dumb question but what is Georgia A&M? This question is not with a smarta$$ tone. Thanks

Ric
10-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Dumb question but what is Georgia A&M? This question is not with a smarta$$ tone. Thanks

BikePilot

My Bad. I believe U of G which is a Land Grant University is in fact a A & M school as were all Land Grant University at first.

I am not sure if U of G or Georgia Tech is the University offering the online Turf course. In fact I am not sure if the program is still being offered. I was posting from memory like 99% of my posts.

BLC1
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I clicked on the link and I didn't notice any online programs. Did I overlook it?

BLC1
10-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Did you guys find it? I feel like I'm just missing it or something.

cgaengineer
10-26-2010, 03:22 PM
UGA does offer an online course for turf, its about $700.

http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/idl/courses/view-courses/crop-and-soil-sciences-crss

Not sure if they will require the prerequisites or not, hopefully not. I will actually call them in a few minutes and post back my findings.

Grandview
10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Two good reads. "The Rain Maker" by Jeff Fox and "Nine Steps to a Successful Entrepreneur" by Marty Grunder. Anything by Marty Grunder.

rcreech
10-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Two good reads. "The Rain Maker" by Jeff Fox and "Nine Steps to a Successful Entrepreneur" by Marty Grunder. Anything by Marty Grunder.

Marty's book is totally awesome! Marty Grunder is on top of his game!

Grandview
10-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I think Marty is coming out with another book. It is about net working. I will buy it as soon as it comes out. I read and keep all his articles from Landscape Management magazine. His book is part of our home school curriculum.

BLC1
10-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I ordered Marty's book last night.

What are some good resources specific to turf and fert & squirt?

rcreech
10-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I ordered Marty's book last night.

What are some good resources specific to turf and fert & squirt?

You will love his book!

It is really the simple things that Marty talks about that keep a business going.

For people on here that have not read his book...I would highly recommend it!

I am not a big reader at all...infact can't stand reading books, and I literally didn't want to put his book down.

DaytonBioLawns
10-28-2010, 11:32 PM
The Grunder family lives right down the street from me! lol.... He is a pretty powerful man. I would have to say that I want to be like him in a few years...

Even President Bush went to his house. Any man that made it in this industry to get recognized by THE PRESIDENT is successful. I like his stuff too, but I base my success off of everything in help books with a grain of salt. My real role model is my grandfather, whom is another very successful businessman in the Centerville/Sugarcreek area of OH.

BLC1
02-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I have been reading martys book. I like it so far.

Do you guys have any resources that would be specific to learning more about fert & squirt?

Ric
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I have been reading martys book. I like it so far.

Do you guys have any resources that would be specific to learning more about fert & squirt?

"WESTERN FERTILIZER HANDBOOK" by California Fertilizer Association

"DESTRUCTIVE TURFGRASS INSECTS" BIOLOGY, DIANOSIS AND CONTROL by Daniel Potter

"MANAGEMENT OF TURFGRASS DISEASES" by J M Vargas, Jr