PDA

View Full Version : Another good reason to use LED-Sun Power

Let There Be Light
10-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Here's a few pics of my son's job installing true solar power to operate lighting completely off grid. We're blessed with lot's of sun which makes this possible. I'll have some final pictures and specs shortly. Thanks for looking.

Mark B
10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Just a curious questIon. Did you design it kinda like James did is his? I think could be a great thing to set you apart from the competition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pro-Scapes
10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Steve I know your in a very dry climate ( i lived in vegas for 7 yrs and miss it terribly) but how do you think these terminals will hold up to rusting and corrosion or are you simply doing a spray coating similar to what they use on automotive and marine batteries ?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Solar powered systems are certainly getting to be more feasible as Solar component costs come down but it is still an expensive way of getting power to a lighting system. If there is line voltage available anywhere in the vicinity of the installation you are much farther ahead to tap into that.

The four fairly large scale solar - LED sign lighting systems I installed this year were almost 200% more costly than the same lighting system would have been were it 'plugged in' (remember we are in the North and the projects required year round, nightly illumination)

The opportunity to learn and install these systems was very valuable, but because of the base costs of them, I do not expect to get too many serious inquiries here.

Let There Be Light
10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Steve I know your in a very dry climate ( i lived in vegas for 7 yrs and miss it terribly) but how do you think these terminals will hold up to rusting and corrosion or are you simply doing a spray coating similar to what they use on automotive and marine batteries ?

This was just a quick pic early in the installation, all terminals then are silicone sealed.

Let There Be Light
10-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Solar powered systems are certainly getting to be more feasible as Solar component costs come down but it is still an expensive way of getting power to a lighting system. If there is line voltage available anywhere in the vicinity of the installation you are much farther ahead to tap into that.

The four fairly large scale solar - LED sign lighting systems I installed this year were almost 200% more costly than the same lighting system would have been were it 'plugged in' (remember we are in the North and the projects required year round, nightly illumination)

The opportunity to learn and install these systems was very valuable, but because of the base costs of them, I do not expect to get too many serious inquiries here.

For this particular project, there was no line voltage to tap into, hence a pure solar system. Our wholesale cost of the panel, controller, deep cycle battery, box, pole, and concrete was in the $600 range so certainly more than a conventional transformer set up.

worx
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
What size system can you power with the components you are showing in this set up and where did you buy them?

Let There Be Light
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
What size system can you power with the components you are showing in this set up and where did you buy them?

The system shown is actually over-kill. It is a 30 watt panel charging a 12 volt deep cycle 35 amp battery. Two 3-watt MR-16 LEDS are used. Here in AZ, there are a lot of solar companies supplying. My solar guy is a fellow chamber member. My recommendation is to find a local solar company that can help out with your particular requirements. THX

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Just to compare, the solar sign lighting projects that I did this year used 2 x 250W PV Panels, custom mounts, 12' tall 4" dia poles, custom anchor plates, core drilled 1" threaded bar anchors into granite, Steel All weather insulated battery boxes, Top of the line digital MPT charge controllers, 2 x 120A AGM batteries, 8 Ga cable, - powering 9 x 5.4w LED lamps in BK fixtures on custom stems anchored into granite.

Being located in the sunny south makes things much easier when it comes to Solar systems. We are at 45 Degrees North Latitude here and have to plan for average daily sunlight hours as low as 2.5 in January.

Let There Be Light
10-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Just to compare, the solar sign lighting projects that I did this year used 2 x 250W PV Panels, custom mounts, 12' tall 4" dia poles, custom anchor plates, core drilled 1" threaded bar anchors into granite, Steel All weather insulated battery boxes, Top of the line digital MPT charge controllers, 2 x 120A AGM batteries, 8 Ga cable, - powering 9 x 5.4w LED lamps in BK fixtures on custom stems anchored into granite.

Being located in the sunny south makes things much easier when it comes to Solar systems. We are at 45 Degrees North Latitude here and have to plan for average daily sunlight hours as low as 2.5 in January.

We are blessed with lots of sun...too much in the summer :))

seolatlanta
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Very cool work. Thank you guys for pushing the envelope and learning and doing as much as you can.

Very pro!!