PDA

View Full Version : maintain knockout roses

pdenney11
10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I have been taking care of a new account this year that has 15 knockout rose bushes. No one has ever pruned or trimmed these things back and they are out of control. They are blocking windows and just look like a huge mess. I have never pruned or taken care of any roses because I personally do not like them and would never grow them in my own yard. I would appreciate if you guys could give me some tips on how and when to prune these plants. Also any fertilizing tips you might have.

MarcSmith
10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
KO roses are by far much easier to care for than tea roses. KO roses take rejuvenation pruning very well. every two years we prune ours back to 6-12" total height.

but like all roses they are very susceptible to diseases. clean your pruners often..

White Gardens
10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I like as much height, and fullness out of my roses so I wait until spring to prune them. I just look at each cane and cut where it is appropriate.

MarcSmith
10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
we try to keep ours pretty low...from a security standpoint, generally trees limbed up to 8 feet, and shrubs kept at 3-4 feet and lower... but keeping the KO lower keeps em nice and dense makes for a nice showing in grouped plantings...

integrityman
10-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Prune in the late winter or very early spring. I use hedge trimmers and they do just fine with a good cut back.

MarcSmith
10-21-2010, 07:23 PM
use pruners, may take 5 minutes longer but its better for the plant...

pdenney11
10-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys for all the good information.
Posted via Mobile Device

starry night
10-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Definitely pruners (to thin them out.) Also a wise old nurseryman once told me that with almost all roses there will be a certain amount of winter dieback whether you leave them for the winter or trim them in the Fall. So it makes sense to trim them when the winter cold is over. However, if some branches were very tall, you might want to trim them some now so there is less chance of broken branches from snow load and then finish trimming at the end of winter.

Johnny test
10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Knock Out roses are supposed to be the lowest maintenance, most disease resistant(besides the ginko), biggest bang (bloom from spring till frost) for the buck plant that money can buy..(35.00 3gal double).

At the nursery I have seen 1500 Hybrid T's start to get "Powdery Mildew" and "Black spot" have 500 knock-outs 5 feet away and never get the first sign of PM or BS. And get half the Jap. beetles. The T's and knockouts are definitely not the same. Biggest thing to remember is to never water the leaves..If you keep dead heading, they will bloom big-time trough the first two frosts..

The biggest negative I have had from customers is why it ended up growing so big when the tag said 4x4. Oh, and singles suck doubles are much better. (singles get less peddles of course, but also have a lighter color foliage which looks similar to stress related issues) I just don't like them.

grassyfras
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a customer that wants me to trim them this fall to about a foot high. Any special way to trim each cane?

corey4671
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
we have two in front of our house. we cut them down to the ground every year around thanksgiving and they come back as strong as ever every year.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't trim them this fall. You leave fresh cut wounds exposed to below freezing conditions over winter. Wait till late winter/early spring then cut back the canes by 1/3 to 1/2. Then during the season, after the first wave of blooms, deadhead back to the first 5 leaf pair and you will get a GREAT rebloom. Did it myself, and mine are still blooming here despite a few frosts already.

jimjohn1
10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Try the new Home Run Rose. Same guy that developed the Knock Out has come up with a better plant. When your Knock outs start showing less blooms prune with your hedge trimmer and a couple weeks later they are in their glory again.

Johnny test
10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Try the new Home Run Rose. Same guy that developed the Knock Out has come up with a better plant. When your Knock outs start showing less blooms prune with your hedge trimmer and a couple weeks later they are in their glory again.

The Home Run is not a rose.. If you are trying to compare it to a rose it would compare to a single and again singles-----> "not so much"...

Oh. and they are "not" new they might be in your town/nursery.They have been out for at least 4 years now.. If I was going to buy anything similar to a single it would be the single white knock-out (just because it's white) they have been out for three years now? First year was more like a test..

jwsland
10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I agree with the above posts. I have used my hedge trimmers before but usually use pruners. Early spring is the best time but I have done them in late fall before. You can indeed take them down pretty far in most cases. Knock outs are great plants!

jimjohn1
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
The Home Run is not a rose.. If you are trying to compare it to a rose it would compare to a single and again singles-----> "not so much"...

Oh. and they are "not" new they might be in your town/nursery.They have been out for at least 4 years now.. If I was going to buy anything similar to a single it would be the single white knock-out (just because it's white) they have been out for three years now? First year was more like a test..

So what if they are not new. And what do mean they are not a rose? Check it out..do some research. HOME RUN ROSE:

The Yard Barber, Inc.
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
yeah look on www.home-run-rose.com

Johnny test
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
So what if they are not new. And what do mean they are not a rose? Check it out..do some research. HOME RUN ROSE:

So what? what you mean so what? So the comment above is false, thats what!!!

And it is not a rose..and the nurseries cant give them away...Do some research...:rolleyes:

Just because one of it's parents is a rose does not make it a rose. And because only one is a rose means that technically it is not a rose...

And he said its better,Lol

MarcSmith
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
actually both parents were roses...

Family: Rosaceae
Genus: Rosa
Cultivar: Home Run

FATHER
Cultivar: Knockout

MOTHER
Cultivar: Baby Love

Johnny test
10-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh well*trucewhiteflag*

5starlandscaping
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Im not a fan of knockouts. If not pruned properly they can look like crap and most LCO,s dont trim them correctly so they usually look bad on most properties. I agree with above post... prune them late winter/early spring and make sure to trim them back several times the rest of the year with hedge trimmers to keep them full and so they dont get leggy. It would also help to apply a 2-1-1 ratio of shrub fertilizer with alteast 50% slow release in the spring and early fall to keep them healthy.