PDA

View Full Version : ahh..got to site and yard is bare!..leaves all into beds.

mowisme
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
When I got there as per schedule to do some more leaves..Which I knew would be alot as it's every other week in fall..The yard was all done! or say somewhat done and all the leaves were into the beds but the grass was bare. two large piles out by road. I normally would have been mad as I never got any notice or e-mail to change the schedule..But..This guy is super nice guy and almost never just paid the amount due but always 5 or even 10 dollars over. After I got the two piles bagged (He perfers I take them out of there) I just did a once over the grass and was getting ready to start in the beds (his whole perimeter in back yard is surrounded by 12 ft deep beds) He comes out and said He 'heard' that leaves in the beds is good for them. His beds are all multch! anyway make long story short..I still billed him for 6 bags plus I charged $20 for the service there instead of the $40. As I only did 1/4 of what I would have been doing. Like I said..He always over paid so I took it with a grain of salt. I still made $44. Wonder what he'll want done with those leaves in spring? I think he thinks they'll be gone. They'll be hard to deal with I imagine after sitting all winter..Crazy day- but easier. Geno

sdk1959
10-22-2010, 12:17 AM
When I got there as per schedule to do some more leaves..Which I knew would be alot as it's every other week in fall..The yard was all done! or say somewhat done and all the leaves were into the beds but the grass was bare. two large piles out by road. I normally would have been mad as I never got any notice or e-mail to change the schedule..But..This guy is super nice guy and almost never just paid the amount due but always 5 or even 10 dollars over. After I got the two piles bagged (He perfers I take them out of there) I just did a once over the grass and was getting ready to start in the beds (his whole perimeter in back yard is surrounded by 12 ft deep beds) He comes out and said He 'heard' that leaves in the beds is good for them. His beds are all multch! anyway make long story short..I still billed him for 6 bags plus I charged $20 for the service there instead of the $40. As I only did 1/4 of what I would have been doing. Like I said..He always over paid so I took it with a grain of salt. I still made $44. Wonder what he'll want done with those leaves in spring? I think he thinks they'll be gone. They'll be hard to deal with I imagine after sitting all winter..Crazy day- but easier. Geno

Most of the leaves in the beds will break down and decompose by the following May, especially if there is a wet early Spring. If the leaves were mulched they would be totally gone by May.

topsites
10-22-2010, 01:40 AM
With leaves it will be more like September-October of next year before
they'll be almost totally decomposed, it takes just about a full year...

Not sure about mulching but I do know throwing lime on top of the piles speeds up the process noticeably (thou it still takes months).

So yeah for the most part they'll still be there in the spring, but what I would do is let
the customer decide what to do with them, he wanted them there so let it be his baby.
Then again he may not renew.

sdk1959
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
With leaves it will be more like September-October of next year before
they'll be almost totally decomposed, it takes just about a full year...

I disagree. I mulch leaves for my customers and they are gone come the following May. I also compost mulched leaves for my garden and all I do is wet them 1-2 times a week and turn them over once a week, the leaves start steaming (microbes at work) in the pile and they decompose to a nice compost in 4-6 weeks.

If the mulched leaves were put in very high piles a foot high or more and there was dry weather yeah, I could see the mulched leaves taking a year to completely decompose.
But a layer of mulched leaves 1-3 inches thick in the beds with normal rainfall, gone by the following May.

ALC-GregH
10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Yep, gone over the winter.

mowisme
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks..Thats good to know..but they aren't multched..He blew them in with his blower. I don't think more than 3-6 inches deep..but ALOT of area. his whole perimeter in back is surrounded with beds about 10-14 ft deep.

turtle
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I've always taken the leaves out of the beds. But I've heard that you can leave them in the beds and just mulch over them. Not sure that I would but hey Mother Nature has been doing it for thousands of years.

Craig3
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I've been told that oak leaves don't break down as quickly as other species and they will provide additional insulation for plants that are more cold sensitive. But w/e the customer wants is what they get.