PDA

View Full Version : To late to control grubs in zone 5?

BLC1
10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Is it a lost cause this time of year to try and control gurbs? I am in Zone 5. Should I try something now or wait until spring?

ICT Bill
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
wait for next year when they are active
grubs are in their 3rd instar and are tough as nails right now, they are also burrowing down in the soil so you even if you could get to them the chemicals will not have much effect

most will not be grubs next spring but will go through their lifecycle and lay eggs in spring which become new grubs in the summer

your time to treat is probably in June and July maybe august depending on the type of spring and summer you have

americanlawn
10-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I treated 3 lawns today for grubworms. Mask chafer grubs are still actively feeding here. Main reason is the soil temp is still warm (warmer than normal for this time of year).

My rule of thumb: If I find them (target pest), and the turf pulls up like a carpet -- I treat them. Most often I just treat the brown areas, but if the lawn is being watered, I'll find them in green areas too. Soil temps should drop soon so I won't have to deal with them anymore.

my 2 cents (central Iowa)

americanlawn
10-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Just checked -- 4 inch soil temps here are 54 - 60 degrees. It's not uncommon for grubs to be active in this temperature range here.

starry night
10-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I haven't measured my soil temp but I know what I see. A couple lawns this week with grubs right on top of the soil when I pulled away dead grass.
I'm not sure if masked chafer or Japanese beetle. (I wasn't inclined to be looking at their butt hairs. :) ) I treated those small areas with Dylox, the active ingredient which will work now if anything will.

CHARLES CUE
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
If the grubs are still on the surface feeding some thing like dyloxs also has season long control. Not sure but does that mean it would last till next year. or just the rest of this year?

I sprayed at the golf course this week and the grubs were still on the surface here. The skunks were still digging and we stopped and pulled back the turf and they were there.

Charles Cue

starry night
10-22-2010, 09:05 PM
....... The skunks were still digging and we stopped and pulled back the turf and they were there.

Charles Cue

The skunks were hiding under the turf?..................:laugh: I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

CHARLES CUE
10-22-2010, 09:16 PM
The skunks were hiding under the turf?..................:laugh: I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

It was day light the time i got there they must have left for lunch. there was frost that morning they must have been trying to keep warm.

Charles Cue

humble1
10-24-2010, 08:07 PM
If the grubs are still on the surface feeding some thing like dyloxs also has season long control. Not sure but does that mean it would last till next year. or just the rest of this year?

I sprayed at the golf course this week and the grubs were still on the surface here. The skunks were still digging and we stopped and pulled back the turf and they were there.

Charles Cue

Trichlorfon breaks down rapidly in fertile soil last longer in more sterile soil half life less than a month, you wont get season long control with dylox, imidicloprid gives season long control.

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Trichlorfon breaks down rapidly in fertile soil last longer in more sterile soil half life less than a month, you wont get season long control with dylox, imidicloprid gives season long control.

I didn't know i thought that i read on the label of dylox that it said season long control. But i didn't have the label in front of me.

Charles Cue

naughty62
10-25-2010, 08:49 AM
you found em ,identified em,now kill em .you Will probly need a rescue application .usually consisting of two A.I.s .They can be hard to kill right before them burrow down for winter .See your chemical guy and you may be able to tank mix your own curitive control .using a peventitive such a merit or other neonicitoids is a waste of money on lawns .