PDA

View Full Version : space filler

David Shaw
08-17-2002, 12:23 AM
I've got a job where they've got one mature Holly about 6 feet from the house and they want to keep it. I need to fill i between the house and it any suggestions?

joshua
08-19-2002, 01:57 AM
david, i'm gunna try and put this nice and simple, how big is the holly, what type, what type of soil, how much sun does the site receive, i'm assuming its all acid soil>? what are they looking for ever-green, semi-evergreen, somthing that flowers, if it flowers when would they like, spring, summer, fall, what heights are you looking at, can you prune the holly back this fall to try and match what you put in?, ect. ect. ect. the list goes on

David Shaw
08-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi Joshua,
Well the holly as about 4' x 4-41/2'. I'm not an expert on hollies I'll admit. As far as the soil, this is South East Iowa so while I have not done a test I cannot imagine that it's acid we just done generally have that here. I know you should run a test but you gotta sell the homeowner on it sometimes I just can't. They want what all home owners want low maintenance, other than that, not much specifics. It's pretty shady, I was thinking something taller that would set the bush off. There's not much room for another shrub though, I loke to stay at least a foot or two from the foundation. So Perennials how about Ligularia?Thanks David