PDA

View Full Version : Diy leaf loader

sms8921
10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi guys, Im not sure if someone has already posted about this or not...I consider myself a small operation, I man only me. Like many others on this site the convenience of a leaf loader makes some of us drool with envy but the price tag turns your stomach!! Well today I decided to pull double duty on one of my machines.

I recently purchased a walk behind leaf blower from home depot. New deal if you get a card there it is no interest for 12mo. pretty sweet! (I no its not a billy goat or anything name brand but it does and excellent job.) I have many customers wanting their leaves removed and for me my main mower is a JD 48" walk behind mower with a side bagger that isnt the funnest thing to empty 50 times while doing leaves.

So...I went back to home depot got some sheet metal and built a 6" adapter of the intake of the wb blower. I then reduced that to 4" and connected a 10' piece of flexible pipe on that. Then I put another 6 to 4 reducer on the port that blows the air out, with a 10' flexible pipe on that end too. Some of you will probably laugh at me and say it is a ticking time bomb but I did many tests and this machine has very high suction and will pull just about anything in and spit it out. I built this machine for all under 450 dollars.
So guys after your done blowing the yard put on your two attachment pipes and load your truck or trailer!!!! I am a diy-er and I no you other diy-ers will appreciate this. Pics to follow it is raining here dont have a garage to take the pic in. Thanks

flatlander42
10-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd like to see these pics!

93Chevy
10-23-2010, 06:50 PM
I would also like to see pics. Sounds like a good idea for a small solo operation while watching your expenses.

Richard Martin
10-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Some of you will probably laugh at me and say it is a ticking time bomb but I did many tests and this machine has very high suction and will pull just about anything in and spit it out.

So you did impact tests and all of that good stuff? It is a ticking time bomb and I can't think of many things that are much more hazardous than what you're doing. There are blowers with impellers that are built to take this kind of abuse. Your little Chinese blower isn't even close.

LushGreenLawn
10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Those Chinese blowers nowadays have impellers made of high density plastic. The downside? They do not show up in an x-ray...

yardguy28
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
i sure wouldn't trust a blower motor as a suction devise. a blower motor and a vacuum motor might be the same thing for all i know but thats just it, i don't know. i wouldn't think the impellars on a blower would work well for sucking up and shredding leaves. certainly not like my trac vac does.

not to mention the attachments don't seem safe either.

i suppose it depends on how small of an operation you are and what type of properties you are doing.

all i use to do leaves on most properties is my 52" grandstand and a side bagger. i empty the bagger 3 times at most. i use the trac vac 2 times a week. it's hooked to my 36" wb for a few backyards i can't get the 52" in.

just put the catcher on your jd and start mowing. leave it on until you've made one pass over everything, empty the bagger and you should be able to get everything else on the second pass. sometimes it takes a third pass if the leaves are thick.

93Chevy
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
just put the catcher on your jd and start mowing. leave it on until you've made one pass over everything, empty the bagger and you should be able to get everything else on the second pass. sometimes it takes a third pass if the leaves are thick.

I started doing this earlier this month as per your advice a few months ago, and wow, what a difference. I don't have to unload the catcher 4621 times every lawn anymore.

yardguy28
10-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I started doing this earlier this month as per your advice a few months ago, and wow, what a difference. I don't have to unload the catcher 4621 times every lawn anymore.

it really works nice i think......

its made me wish i never purchased that trac vac. so far this year i just use it in the few backyards i have and i maintain my neighborhood common areas and they don't have grass to mow just mulch beds so i blow the leaves into piles and suck them up with the trac vac alone.

demhustler
10-23-2010, 10:08 PM
blower and vac (or loaders) impellers are different
pict: take a guess: which one for blow (air), which for sucking, choing and spitting (blowing) debrees with minimal clogg-in ?...

demhustler
10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
anyway, show some pics

bradseabridge
10-23-2010, 10:24 PM
My giant vac has the one on the right!

chefdrp
10-24-2010, 08:55 AM
I did this last year. I got to thinking about it being a time bomb. I was using an 11.5 HP Lesco Green Giant bower. It has a cast impeller and i didnt want it to blow up if i sucked in a rock or something. I found a nice used 16 HP Lesco loader with a sweet swing arm. Look around for a loader. Be safe.

chefdrp
10-24-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=296221&highlight=chefdrp

demhustler
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I did this last year. I got to thinking about it being a time bomb. I was using an 11.5 HP Lesco Green Giant bower. It has a cast impeller and i didnt want it to blow up if i sucked in a rock or something. I found a nice used 16 HP Lesco loader with a sweet swing arm. Look around for a loader. Be safe.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=296221&highlight=chefdrp
thanks 4 link
in a nutshell, comments was : idea-good; but on blower impeller performance maximized for mowing clean air; vac(loader) mowing debris, not clogging, withstand rocks, sticks, junk, etc...

Here's a desciption of that blower....

The Lesco Green Monster line of lawn and leaf blowers use a unique, 10-blade cast aluminum impeller with integral airfoil blades that use the same principles as an airplane's wings. The impeller generates the highest airflow, horsepower for horsepower, of any blower on the market, Lesco contends.

i have Echo hendheld blow-vac at home; and we tryed bigger echo with shreder to vac some leaves from pita areas - it sucks : )))) (not leaves) can't pick-up wet or heavy leaves, strong leaves (like oak leaves) just winding on impeller;
could be ok 4 home owner, bt for pro - it's waste of time, effords and money
- sucks bad - thats would be right defenition? : ))))
impeller which can do both, probably won't be as good as dedicated blower and vac, but... http://www.hurricaneblovac.com/products.asp

Grass Shark
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
you are going to kill yourself

chefdrp
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
thats what we all told him.. And thats why i went and bought an actual loader

Mr. Mow it all
11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Holy wow!....

STIHL GUY
11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
you can buy a use loader in great working shape for pretty cheap...it will deffinitly pay off soon enough

RJR
11-20-2013, 04:45 PM
check out mines in action on the link below ... i have done about 25 fall clean ups with it...i use it for both, leaf blowing and leaf loading and so far no problems no chips bends or cracks..looks just as good as day one...what kind of impeller do you have?
c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE19NY3gS3o

Richard Martin
11-20-2013, 05:25 PM
check out mines in action on the link below ... i have done about 25 fall clean ups with it...i use it for both, leaf blowing and leaf loading and so far no problems no chips bends or cracks..looks just as good as day one...what kind of impeller do you have?
c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE19NY3gS3o

You need to make the vid public. No one can see it when it's marked Private.

RJR
11-20-2013, 06:55 PM
You need to make the vid public. No one can see it when it's marked Private.

sorry lol...now is public thanks for letting me know

jones68
11-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I feel like the blower conversion is not very efficient. This coming from a guy who used a little wonder conversion from the late '80's last year. Very similar to what you got going on. This year I picked up a used 16hp little wonder loader for $1,900 and you can't compare the speed of the 2. The loader has paid for itself in time saved this season. With the blower conversion we battled clogs in the intake tube all the time. This year with the loader we've only had 1 clog and that was me trying to see the limits of the unit trying to suck up wet green grass when we first got it set up. As fast as I can move the intake tube it will suck the leafs up. I can't believe that I waited so long to get a leaf loader now that I have one
Posted via Mobile Device

RJR
11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I feel like the blower conversion is not very efficient. This coming from a guy who used a little wonder conversion from the late '80's last year. Very similar to what you got going on. This year I picked up a used 16hp little wonder loader for $1,900 and you can't compare the speed of the 2. The loader has paid for itself in time saved this season. With the blower conversion we battled clogs in the intake tube all the time. This year with the loader we've only had 1 clog and that was me trying to see the limits of the unit trying to suck up wet green grass when we first got it set up. As fast as I can move the intake tube it will suck the leafs up. I can't believe that I waited so long to get a leaf loader now that I have one
Posted via Mobile Device

i use to have a leaf loader made by billy goat but it was only a 8hp and my set up works a little better than my loader, maybe the extra hp...it might not be as efficient as your loader but it sure beats doing it by hand...my loader has never clogged up I do sometimes get a stick sideways in the intake part of the tube like shown in the video. the pile on this video was approx. 16 long by about 20 feet wide and approx 4 feet high..i only paid $200 for the unit plus $140 to get the kit done the hose i already had..