PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Oil Leak

netknut
10-23-2010, 06:45 PM
2009 super Z with 29HP Kawasaki. After 35 hours the engine has developed an oil leak where the drain tube attaches to the engine block. The nut is tight but a drip forms every few hours when parked in the shop. Oil was changed at 10 hours and the oil level is just about down to the add mark on the stick.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mowerconsultant
10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Take it to the dealer and show them, they will likely need to replace the drain tube assembly.

Pj

STCL01
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I had the same problem. I pulled the oil drain tube and used some teflon tape to stop the leak. Be careful not to overtighten the tube into the block. I have see threads where there were cracks in the block in this area for whatever reason. You will want to make sure that yours is not cracked.

3Bladz
10-27-2010, 10:01 PM
The last few Kawasakis I have had, all did the same thing. I think an o-ring fixed them. The other day I noticed on my dealers demo, it was leaking too.

netknut
12-08-2010, 06:54 AM
The dealer provided me with a replacement drain tube and indicated they have had several from the factory with the same problem.

I found that the O ring on the failing drain tube was not seated at all! The new drain tube seated properly, however , the 'T' on the tube ended up at about a 45 degree angle rather that vertical.

It appears that the tubes are not machined to allow for both proper seating of the O ring and vertical positioning of the down spout on the tube.