PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's time for a new truck?

soloscaperman
10-23-2010, 11:39 PM
My friend loves Fords and keeps rubbing in the New technology that Ford has out. I gotta say I am very impressed with the power from the Eco boost engine for the F150!! I just look at my competitors and they all have new trucks. Is this technology proven? I just can't imagine the power that Ford put in this V6 with the turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF66aVPhPfc

h2oskier
10-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Have you ever seen a ford that just came out with out being proven any good? Didn't think so. Explorer 02 crap bad transmission, superduty 03 crap bad fuel system for the 6.0, and let us not forget the ford feista. That was a joke.

FLAhaulboy
10-24-2010, 01:12 AM
I have driven a 2010 Ford F150 (V8) Lariat 4x4 (4 door) several times this year and it is a AWESOME truck. A few pro/cons:

Pro:

Backup camera (awesome)
Power everything, extremely comfortable.
A/C & heat in the seats.
Awesome GPS, & weather system & Sirius.
Many other great pros.
Con:

I think the steering wheel (diameter) is to small.
Terrible mpg.
Thought it was a little wobbly when going 93 mph, of course, the race track was probably uneven (Interstate).
Price brand new, I could get one at cost though.

soloscaperman
10-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Well I'm at that point where soon I have to start pouring money in the truck. Since I got the truck from California and put it through the rough use including snow plowing she is rusting on the body where the extended cab is under area. The motor has 240,000 and it's still original including the head gaskets! I need a defroster unit, and some small little things.

Stillwater
10-24-2010, 05:16 AM
mabey a new to you truck but its never time for a new truck

JB1
10-24-2010, 08:52 AM
maybe , put up a poll on here.

Mowingman
10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I agree. At today's prices, it is never time for a "NEW" truck. Maybe a nice used one.

mabey a new to you truck but its never time for a new truck

stan the man
10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
all i get is ford i have 1999 f250 sd xlt 125000 miles and 2008 f250 sd 25000 miles and this year 2010. f450 dump 2000 miles now on it i am using it for my leave box right and i have now any problem with them ford and i do plow a lot with them 125 accounts

ShooterK2
10-24-2010, 01:32 PM
If you're like me, you just want the truck that will get the job done for the least amount of money, while lasting the longest. I mean, the object of a business is to pocket the most coin, while spending the least, right? For me, that truck has always been Chevy. My current truck, a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 5.3 liter V8, automatic transmission, has been rode hard and put up wet all it's life, pulled loads that a half-ton should never see, and still runs and drives perfectly, and it has 262,000 miles on it. It doesn't use a drop of oil. I've replaced the fuel pump and both power window motors. That's it. I fully expect another 100,000 miles out of this truck.

My previous truck, a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.3 liter V6 and a 5 speed manual trans, had 385,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it still ran and drove great. I did put a set of bearings in the bottom end at about 325,000 miles, but no top end work, and it still didn't use a noticeable amount of oil.

I'm 38 years old, and had Chevy trucks all my life. They've never let me down. Of course you have to work on them sooner or later, as with any truck if you drive it enough, and I've found Chevrolet's to be the easiest to work on of any other brand of full-size trucks I've owned (Dodge, Ford).

I agree with buying used. Those mid-nineties Chevys with a single cab and long bed can usually be found in the $1500 range, still running good. These are excellent buys! That long bed will haul a lot of mulch, and the truck will pull anything any other half-ton will pull.

I routinely see Chevys with 300,000 plus miles, still on the road, still working. I hardly ever see that kind of mileage out of the others. I'm not saying they never get there, but I just don't see a Ford or a Dodge with a gas engine with that kind of mileage very often at all. It's very rare, in my experience.

Like I said, other trucks may have more "features" and what-not, but if you want to make money, and have your truck work for you a lot longer, you can't beat a good used Chevy.

turtle
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm on my second used F-150 and the words I seem to hear the most when it goes in for repairs is "Oh ya, that's a common Ford problem!". But on the plus side parts are very reasonably priced, not that it matters if it spends most of its time broken down. My fathers and most of my friends are Chevy guys, but it seems like GM trucks have alot of computer/electronic hiccups so I'm a lil nervous about them.

FLAhaulboy
10-26-2010, 01:29 AM
I paid off my current F150 last yr. 93,000+ miles thus far & running great. I can get a super deal on a new truck but I'd hate to have to make those NEW payments for five more yrs! I intend on keeping this truck for a long time :drinkup:. Kind of hard to justify buying a new expensive truck, when the old one is running fine. Its the "options" that I'd like to have in a new truck that the old one does not have :hammerhead: available.

360ci
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree, obviously it's up to you to decide if you want to go 'new' or 'used' in purchasing a replacement truck. As mentioned, get a truck that can do the work well, with the lowest cost, as it makes the most business sense.

I'd wait on the EcoBoost 3.5 F150. I'd much rather get the 5.0L V8 as if you tow every day with it, I don't think you'll be happy with the 3.5L mainly because if you pull trailers, it'll be in the 2500-3500rpm range consistently where high boost is made and will eat the fuel. Knowingly, the 5.0L will get better mileage and HP is the same. If you wanted it to haul a trailer once a week, and use it to get groceries and drive to A and B everyday then the EB would be the better engine choice...my opinion,.

lyube
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Never buy the first year's production of any vehicle.

soloscaperman
10-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys. I just look at my truck and realize the body isn't made to last forever. My body was made in 1987! Todays trucks the frame and body will last forever as long as you maintain it. My frame is mint since I undercoated it when I got it from California. I mean I can throw in a new motor for $3000 TBI motor nicely built but the gas mileage is around 5-8MPG. Customers think I am a low baller just because I drive an old truck. Some also may think with an old truck your not as successful.

Maybe in a few years I will look at a 5.3 Vortec Chevy around 2006 year. Add a turbo and be set.

lyube
10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys. I just look at my truck and realize the body isn't made to last forever. My body was made in 1987! Todays trucks the frame and body will last forever as long as you maintain it. My frame is mint since I undercoated it when I got it from California. I mean I can throw in a new motor for $3000 TBI motor nicely built but the gas mileage is around 5-8MPG. Customers think I am a low baller just because I drive an old truck. Some also may think with an old truck your not as successful.

Maybe in a few years I will look at a 5.3 Vortec Chevy around 2006 year. Add a turbo and be set.

Rebuild your engine and transmission, sand blast the frame and body, overhaul the interior, new tires and brakes...

drive like new without the new car price.

Stillwater
10-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Customers think I am a low baller just because I drive an old truck. Some also may think with an old truck your not as successful.

(As successful as what?)Who are these people?
I can say with assurance that this is a huge miss conception, most customers don't know or understand the term Lowballer and this line of thought comes from a degree of low self esteem, If this is the point of view you are coming from then it is a status symbol you want. The people who would view you as not successful because you are not in a shiny new trophy are people you shoulden't care about impressing in the first place. On the other hand their is nothing really wrong with wanting a status symbol as long as all your other obligations are met. If this is your goal then great get a truck. My goals were not the same, My goal was to own nice homes cars and have a ton of fluid cash at all times. I did not meet those goals by buying new trucks and equipment and having large payments go out every month for years. I met them buy having very limited debt and banking more than that was going out consistently without fail. Your net worth should be increasing every month and this should be seen in your bank statements. If your net worth will still grow despite your monthly payment and all your other bills then go for it.

turtle
10-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Customers think I am a low baller just because I drive an old truck. Some also may think with an old truck your not as successful.

I hate to say it but just as many customers will think you are overpriced if you have a new truck. If you show up in a well kept older truck think about the impression it gives about your work quality.

stan the man
10-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I hate to say it but just as many customers will think you are overpriced if you have a new truck. If you show up in a well kept older truck think about the impression it gives about your work quality.

funny you say that today i stop at one of my account to get a check for a clean up.i was in the new f450 and the neighbor said i was making to much money to have that and to another trucks. i told him the money not coming from you.

soloscaperman
10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
funny you say that today i stop at one of my account to get a check for a clean up.i was in the new f450 and the neighbor said i was making to much money to have that and to another trucks. i told him the money not coming from you.

ha ha good answer.

soloscaperman
10-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Very true. My interior in my truck looks like what it looked at the show room. I guess people see the little things. I am a neat freak from cleaning vehicles to maintaining lawns.