PDA

View Full Version : White Fly Alert PBC, FL

Buck_wheat
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I am starting to see evidence of a major (fig) white fly invassion in NE Palm Beach County with activity as far South as Central Palm Beach County, FL.

Mostly hedges under 8'; no trees yet.

I am doing a quick "Safari" drench to affected plantings on my properties;

I treated the trees using Coretect Tablets (slow release imidachloropid & nutrients) beginning last May... they show no evidence of White Fly... yet.

Here's hoping for rapidly dropping temperatures.

cgaengineer
10-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I have been seeing them around here for about 2 months. Saw some damage to some boxwoods on Friday from them...
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
We havent had them yet over here, least what I can tell. I hear they do a number on Ficus.

Buck_wheat
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Just completed my BMP and found out new species has invaded. Attacking Gumbo Limbo, Arboragola, boxwoods palm Trees including Coconuts and other ornamentals. They are seeing them in Dade right now but they are moving up.

There's a workshop coming at your local extension (November in PBC) that will discuss them.

cpel2004
10-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I have been seeing them around here for about 2 months. Saw some damage to some boxwoods on Friday from them...
Posted via Mobile Device

Its a different type of whitefly than you experience in GA.

cgaengineer
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Its a different type of whitefly than you experience in GA.

Oh ree ree?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
You talking about these guys?

http://www.naturescontrol.com/image/whitefly.jpg

If so we have them here and they particularly like dwarf holy's and privet hedges.
Posted via Mobile Device

olive123
10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
these are a species specific whitefly that only attacks ficus. We are having a huge problem in s fla with them. Benjamina get them BAD. They must be treated preventatively to control them properly.

olive123
10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
wow just looked it up ...great another headache for pcos in s fla

RoyalTree
10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
The ficus whitefly is always causing havoc around these parts the last couple of years.

The new gumbo limbo white fly as i believe it is called is different. So far we have only seen it in pockets and not over the whole area like the ficus white fly. The gumbo limbo white fly is 4-5 times the size of the ficus white fly and is very docile and slow. It is however attacking just about everything. I went to a yard yesterday where they had it on cordylines, atleast 10 different palms, birds of paradise and many others. This seems like it will be easier to controll because they dont seem to spread as fast and are easier to notice. They literaly left the whole palms covered in white like the sprayed xmas trees.

Buck_wheat
10-28-2010, 06:34 AM
The ficus whitefly is always causing havoc around these parts the last couple of years.

The new gumbo limbo white fly as i believe it is called is different. So far we have only seen it in pockets and not over the whole area like the ficus white fly. The gumbo limbo white fly is 4-5 times the size of the ficus white fly and is very docile and slow. It is however attacking just about everything. I went to a yard yesterday where they had it on cordylines, atleast 10 different palms, birds of paradise and many others. This seems like it will be easier to controll because they dont seem to spread as fast and are easier to notice. They literaly left the whole palms covered in white like the sprayed xmas trees.

Too bad not big enough to hit with bird shot; We are seeing them in small pockets in the Boynton/Green Acres & Lake Worth area now so they must be Sout of there too, mainly East and just West of 95. Phukers ate my last yellow coconut tree Ive been nursing for 5 years hoping to get nuts offn it.

I suppose were looking at Imadachloripid or Safari drenches for longer term systemic control, I don't know for sure yet, theres a workshop comming up in 2 weeks at the extension.

For now when I find them, I spot treat using Orethene (oh everybody knows I treated :laugh:) I'm hoping for a break in the weather (cooler weather seems to start slowing them down & killing them off) before I have to jack it up.

To the other guy... there are different genus of whitefly with specific tastes, for example the 'fig" whitefly loves ficus and you really don't see them on other plantings... North of us (the cotton belt) they have white fly that love cotton and west different ones that love potato, corn, etc. You don't hear much of these because they aren't attacking lawns & gardens... but they are there.

You may thank our USDA agents in Port Miami for failing to properly inspect and quaranteen ornamental crops coming in from Asia (I believe mostly Burma).

Buckwheat sings "They've done it before and they'll do it again... yes they'll do it again".

Buck_wheat
10-28-2010, 06:42 AM
You talking about these guys?

http://www.naturescontrol.com/image/whitefly.jpg

If so we have them here and they particularly like dwarf holy's and privet hedges.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are all different kinds of genus of whitefly with specific tastes, for example the 'fig" whitefly loves ficus and you really don't see them on other plantings... North of us by you, (the cotton belt) they have white fly that love cotton and west different ones that love potato, corn, etc. You don't hear much of these because they aren't attacking lawns & gardens... but they are there.

The good news is we'll be treating them... if the customer has money left after paying for Oslamabama's health care program & stimulus bills.

cgaengineer
10-28-2010, 07:06 AM
The good news is we'll be treating them... if the customer has money left after paying for Oslamabama's health care program & stimulus bills.

What are you talking about, that's a great program! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Gumbo_Limbo_Spiraling_Whitefly.pdf

If you look at page 4 there is a list of Chemicals recommended for Professional Yard Boys. There are only 5 Systemic insecticides listed. Acephate and Imidacloprid are both Caution label off patent inexpensive products. Two different Chemical Families so different modes of action applied in different ways. But Very Cost effective now that we have Generics. I am not going into each chemical and how they either Do or Don't trans-locate etc etc. But you should pay attention to this list and try and mark each chemical as to whether it controls SUCKING and/or CHEWING insects.

White Flies are a????

A.) Sucking Insect.

B.) Chewing Insect.

C.) Crazy Insect.

D.) Lazy Yard Boy who doesn't know.

Buck_wheat
10-28-2010, 06:53 PM

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/Gumbo_Limbo_Spiraling_Whitefly.pdf

If you look at page 4 there is a list of Chemicals recommended for Professional Yard Boys. There are only 5 Systemic insecticides listed. Acephate and Imidacloprid are both Caution label off patent inexpensive products. Two different Chemical Families so different modes of action applied in different ways. But Very Cost effective now that we have Generics. I am not going into each chemical and how they either Do or Don't trans-locate etc etc. But you should pay attention to this list and try and mark each chemical as to whether it controls SUCKING and/or CHEWING insects.

White Flies are a????

A.) Sucking Insect.

B.) Chewing Insect.

C.) Crazy Insect.

D.) Lazy Yard Boy who doesn't know.

To those FL men who are following this thread, you may say WTF after reading this post. If you search through all of Dick... err ric's posts you will find a pattern;

Anyway, onto you pappy

Thank you; I am well aware of this. I generally treat whitefly systemically; and actually according to the PB extension's seminar on WHITEFLY earlier this year, prophalactically with soil / foliar drenches or "bark" drenches (trees) in advance of their active season is best (did you attend?).

I prefer shallow basal injection out to the drip line in concentrations according to the label or even direct trunk injection if the subject is too close to the water for a leaf / bark drench or basal injection. I have had very good results with this approach. None of the plantings I treated this spring are showing signs of whitefly today. It turns out to be the best solution (according to the whitefly seminar I took in the beginning of this year offered by the PB extension and well attended by apparently everyone other than yourself since I didn't see any 70 year old curmudgeons there).

With the cool weather coming, systemic may not be as effective in the long run (of course you'll know better). Long range weather forecasts for this winter are that it will be dry and colder than normal given the effects of a shifting El-Nino wind pattern. They don't seem to do well in cold weather so having my customers pay for treatments that don't provide long term efficacy is criminal, but usual and customary for types like you in this industry.

After contacting the extension, I decided to control them with a topical and spot application of Orethene, which I believe kills sucking insects (perhaps you'll share your opinion on this also). while the Orethene does produce an unpleasant odor, it has an effect on controlling the whitefly.

My observations are that it kills them on contact and according to the label the product will have efficacy for 10-15 days for emerging larvae. Not too many beneficial insects are eradicated with this approach and in any pest management situation, collateral damage is inevitable (sort of when you send your crews out to apply chemicals and they don't even know what they are). The point is to minimize it.

My clients are comforted by the fact their ornamental are being treated and the infestation controlled until a more appropriate and longer term systemic solution can be applied, and that they are not being ripped off by guys like you.

That more appropriate treatment could be a dinotefuran soil/bark drench or an imadaclorypid slow release tablet (Coretect) or basal injection of either. Since I plan on attending the November seminar on whitefly, I'll know better after that. I'm convinced you won't be there since you already know everything, I mean I hope you do attend, I'd like to meet you, I really mean that, but I think you are gutless in a face to face environment.

You are 70 years old, your major claim to fame is you have a pest control license and you haven't worked a day in your life. So what; the only legacy you'll leave after your miserable life expires shortly is that you were a jerk. You could have taught and edified individuals and raised them up, instead you come to this forum where you can anonymously degrade them to make yourself feel better about your wretched existence.

Do me a favor, I'm more interested in tracking the progress of this new infestation than I am in your BS... why don't you find another spot to enlighten the world with your supremecy.

Buck_wheat
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
What are you talking about, that's a great program! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll let the guys I lay off because I can't afford them any more know :laugh:

Ric
10-29-2010, 11:11 AM
To those FL men who are following this thread, you may say WTF after reading this post. If you search through all of Dick... err ric's posts you will find a pattern;

Anyway, onto you pappy

Thank you; I am well aware of this. I generally treat whitefly systemically; and actually according to the PB extension's seminar on WHITEFLY earlier this year, prophalactically with soil / foliar drenches or "bark" drenches (trees) in advance of their active season is best (did you attend?).

I prefer shallow basal injection out to the drip line in concentrations according to the label or even direct trunk injection if the subject is too close to the water for a leaf / bark drench or basal injection. I have had very good results with this approach. None of the plantings I treated this spring are showing signs of whitefly today. It turns out to be the best solution (according to the whitefly seminar I took in the beginning of this year offered by the PB extension and well attended by apparently everyone other than yourself since I didn't see any 70 year old curmudgeons there).

With the cool weather coming, systemic may not be as effective in the long run (of course you'll know better). Long range weather forecasts for this winter are that it will be dry and colder than normal given the effects of a shifting El-Nino wind pattern. They don't seem to do well in cold weather so having my customers pay for treatments that don't provide long term efficacy is criminal, but usual and customary for types like you in this industry.

After contacting the extension, I decided to control them with a topical and spot application of Orethene, which I believe kills sucking insects (perhaps you'll share your opinion on this also). while the Orethene does produce an unpleasant odor, it has an effect on controlling the whitefly.

My observations are that it kills them on contact and according to the label the product will have efficacy for 10-15 days for emerging larvae. Not too many beneficial insects are eradicated with this approach and in any pest management situation, collateral damage is inevitable (sort of when you send your crews out to apply chemicals and they don't even know what they are). The point is to minimize it.

My clients are comforted by the fact their ornamental are being treated and the infestation controlled until a more appropriate and longer term systemic solution can be applied, and that they are not being ripped off by guys like you.

That more appropriate treatment could be a dinotefuran soil/bark drench or an imadaclorypid slow release tablet (Coretect) or basal injection of either. Since I plan on attending the November seminar on whitefly, I'll know better after that. I'm convinced you won't be there since you already know everything, I mean I hope you do attend, I'd like to meet you, I really mean that, but I think you are gutless in a face to face environment.

You are 70 years old, your major claim to fame is you have a pest control license and you haven't worked a day in your life. So what; the only legacy you'll leave after your miserable life expires shortly is that you were a jerk. You could have taught and edified individuals and raised them up, instead you come to this forum where you can anonymously degrade them to make yourself feel better about your wretched existence.

Do me a favor, I'm more interested in tracking the progress of this new infestation than I am in your BS... why don't you find another spot to enlighten the world with your supremecy.

Buck Wheat

Help me out here, I can't quite put my finger on reading you. Are you Jealous or in Love with me that you would write the above Novel??? FYI I am Straight and currently have a girl friend, But thank you away, it is a compliment.

cgaengineer
10-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll let the guys I lay off because I can't afford them any more know :laugh:

Do that, they should agree with me...not!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck_wheat
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Buck Wheat

Help me out here, I can't quite put my finger on reading you. Are you Jealous or in Love with me that you would write the above Novel??? FYI I am Straight and currently have a girl friend, But thank you away, it is a compliment.

Jealous? Hardly, I spent 1970-76 in the Marine Corps, several of those years attached as Recon to the 3rd Marine Advisory & the 3rd SVNMC (ahh that would be Viet Nam) until the conclusion of the Easter Offensive in 1972 you probably never heard of) where I saw more courage and spirit in men that you'll ever have sitting behind your coke bottled eye glasses fondling yourself as you spew your hatred anonymously on these pages.

I have an MBA in business and finance from NY University (which I completed mostly at night), I spent the the rest of the 70's and 80's as an investment banker specializing in bankruptcies and re-constructions of large companies you, in your old age, have forgotten the name of.

I CHOSE to retire in the 90's and come to SFL where I started in the tree trimming business as a worker. I love hard work and now that my green business has grown, I love teaching men the trade, maintain compliance and helping them get started in their own business, properly equiped and positively motivated.

You would also find me in the prisons teaching trade skills to young offenders about to be released so that they may return to society as productive individuals and have a life... I don't take the positions that you do, "they are all liars and thieves" Ex-Con or not. These programs have been approved by Tallahassee and grant money has been provided for their facilitation, although my time is voluntary.

I pray the legacy I leave is not one of being a lazy exploitative jerk who thought only about himself and never did a days work in his life. If even just one man I teach, does not return to prison (I'm talking DOC) get's married and has a productive life because of the influence I have had on his life, my entire life will not have been wasted.

Seventy years old with a girlfriend? Congratulations, is she family, is she over 18 and not under the influence of dangerous and controlled substances since that happens to be your area of expertise?

My main concern is tracking the onslaught of the new Whitefly genus that has invaded us, it's target crops and plantings and the best way to manage and control them not reading your repetitious degrading vitriol regarding all green workers; it's not being "straight up & honest", or "telling it like it is". It's abusive and degrading and reflects the true nature of your character.

So let this post be used to locate and track this infestation since it is to the benefit of us all.

Ric
10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Jealous? Hardly, I spent 1970-76 in the Marine Corps, several of those years attached as Recon to the 3rd Marine Advisory & the 3rd SVNMC (ahh that would be Viet Nam) until the conclusion of the Easter Offensive in 1972 you probably never heard of) where I saw more courage and spirit in men that you'll ever have sitting behind your coke bottled eye glasses fondling yourself as you spew your hatred anonymously on these pages.

I have an MBA in business and finance from NY University (which I completed mostly at night), I spent the the rest of the 70's and 80's as an investment banker specializing in bankruptcies and re-constructions of large companies you, in your old age, have forgotten the name of.

I CHOSE to retire in the 90's and come to SFL where I started in the tree trimming business as a worker. I love hard work and now that my green business has grown, I love teaching men the trade, maintain compliance and helping them get started in their own business, properly equiped and positively motivated.

You would also find me in the prisons teaching trade skills to young offenders about to be released so that they may return to society as productive individuals and have a life... I don't take the positions that you do, "they are all liars and thieves" Ex-Con or not. These programs have been approved by Tallahassee and grant money has been provided for their facilitation, although my time is voluntary.

I pray the legacy I leave is not one of being a lazy exploitative jerk who thought only about himself and never did a days work in his life. If even just one man I teach, does not return to prison (I'm talking DOC) get's married and has a productive life because of the influence I have had on his life, my entire life will not have been wasted.

Seventy years old with a girlfriend? Congratulations, is she family, is she over 18 and not under the influence of dangerous and controlled substances since that happens to be your area of expertise?

My main concern is tracking the onslaught of the new Whitefly genus that has invaded us, it's target crops and plantings and the best way to manage and control them not reading your repetitious degrading vitriol regarding all green workers; it's not being "straight up & honest", or "telling it like it is". It's abusive and degrading and reflects the true nature of your character.

So let this post be used to locate and track this infestation since it is to the benefit of us all.

Buck Wheat

QUESION ANSWERED

Thanks

cgaengineer
10-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh will you boys quit it? Thank you for your service buck_wheat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim Smith
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
LOL Ric you always make great 1st impressions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck_wheat
10-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Thank you I'm done.

If any Miami people have some field pics of the Gumbo Limbo fly and areas infested with them I'd like to see them.

:waving:

Ric
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Thank you I'm done.

If any Miami people have some field pics of the Gumbo Limbo fly and areas infested with them I'd like to see them.

:waving:

Buck Wheat

If you had stuck yourself with a fork before jumping in the fire, You would not of exploded when I Forked You.

BTW There are Pictures on the PDF file from IFAS I posted.