PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Rake modification

Quix
10-24-2010, 09:27 AM
This is my second year with the Cyclone Rake XL, being solo this has been a huge aset to me. Whenever I use the mower to to chop up the leaves and the unit to suck them up they are mulched up very good and allow me to stuff my leafbox. The only problem I have encountered is when I blow the leaves into a pile and use it as a loader straight into the box. The leaves dont get chopped up very much and take up too much space. The pickup hose is 6 inch diameter and it took a while to clean up the pile. Got me to thinking......what if I used a 8 inch hose, that way the impeller would have to deal with a lot more leaves faster. I bought a 10 foot section and what a difference it made! What used to take me 15 minutes to suck up is now done in 5 and the result is almost dust from the leaves. They take up about 1/4 of the space they used to. Unbelievable difference. Anyone else that uses it as a loader only sometimes should definately try this.
Dwayne

AustinLawnscape
11-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Sounds like a great solution! I'm considering doing the same with my Hasty Vac vacuum unit. If your Cyclone Rake vac unit had a flange for a 6 inch hose, how did you adapt/connect the 8 inch hose to the vac unit? Thanks Ed

wild willy
11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to put a "talon shredder" on it like the little wonder units? Billy goat is now putting this on their units. It is mounted in the middle of the impeller an looks like 3 knife points bent in a 45 deg. angle outwards from a central hub.

Quix
11-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I have the XL unit which has an 8" hose from the mower deck to the impeller. I still use the angled connector that attaches to the impeller, simply screw in the longer hose when I want to use that. It sure beats the heck out of the 6" hose from the vacuum kit. I don't use that one anymore.
Dwayne

Leclerc's Lawn service
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
thats a really good idea. i have a cyclone rake commercial type and what i did was take the blower unit off and made a mount for a two inch reciever so now i use that as a leaf vacume for cleaning up the residential jobs. it works really really good for the jobs and how big my company is right now.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Going to a larger diameter hose is great as long as the debris is dry. The reduction will be much better as long as the debris is dry too. If the debris is wet the larger diameter allows the air to slow and heavier debris will settle and be more prone to "settling in the hose" and clogging as the limited hp tries to process the heavier and more flexible debris in volumes it was not designed for. Otherwise every truckloader manufacturer would have much wider hoses on their units.