PDA

View Full Version : granular fert vs liquid fert

grassmasterswilson
10-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone help me with this one? Always used granular, but with increased business and my z seems it might be easier to mix multiple products together and apply at once. What about streaking? Cost difference?

Turf Dawg
10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I hope some chime in about this because I am also wondering. I would like to know what the other person asked and also temperature, like can you still spray liquid fert in the mid to high 90's or is granular better then?

sedge
10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Liquids are fine Jan through May and Sept through Dec. can have problems June though August or missed apps do to the heat.

Liquids offer faster green up which is plus your first fert app.

I plan am thinking of going all granular, except perhaps my first fert app or round 2. Granular is faster to apply except those times you do a combo, unless it is a combo that comes in the fert already.

Your point of mixing different combos is spot on, but the number of times one does that vs the speed of granular fert makes me think that granular fert is still the way to go.

JoJo1990
10-24-2010, 03:24 PM
If you are mixing plain jane 46-0-0 urea you will have some high burn potential if applying around 1#N per 1K in the summer. If you go with a quality slow release you should be just fine. I prefer to drag a hose around with me versus loading and un-loading a ride on. The end result should be the same if you use a quality product. You just have to decide what works best for you. The only way I would switch to granular is if I had a cemetery route, big apartment or condo complex etc. This would be much faster to use a ride on!

RigglePLC
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Equipment and labor for granular is cheaper.

greendoctor
10-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Cool season grasses not on irrigation, granules are less problematic.

rcreech
10-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I would never use liquid fert and I actually sell against it for many reasons!

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Cool season grasses not on irrigation, granules are less problematic.

Why would you have problems with liquid on none irrigated cool season grass.

I have been doing it for a while and i have never had problems.

Fill us in on what we are missing.

Charles Cue

I have sprayed liquid fert/potassium /3 way and pre all at the same time worked ok but at 20 gals per acre doesn't leave much room for water.

The less water you use the more likely that chem won't be compatible with each other.

Price wise on what i was using it cost more per th. Especially with the pre. I can buy granular fet with pre cheaper than just liquid fert alone but there are different kinds of liquid fert just like granular fert.

Why not spread granular and spray all other things and you can custom mix your spray.

Charles Cue

teejet
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Nothing wrong with liquid IMO. You have uflexx, umaxx, iron, trace minerals, potash. You don't have to use just urea.

It depends on what you are putting down.

You can make liquid fert. that is better than alot of cheap granular some companies are using.

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Nothing wrong with liquid IMO. You have uflexx, umaxx, iron, trace minerals, potash. You don't have to use just urea.

It depends on what you are putting down.

You can make liquid fert. that is better than alot of cheap granular some companies are using.

Have you ever sprayed uflex out of a ride on. I was going to try it once but used up all my uflexx and didn't do it. But some how putting 75 lbs of uflexx in a 20 gal tank seems wrong and slow.

Charles Cue

ant
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
i have been messing around with liquid this year using my Z. yeaterday i sprayed 25-0-0 coron and the cost per gal. is $7 and i used 20 oz. per M which comes to something like a 1/2 lb. of n per 1000 sf. at a cost of little over $2.00 per 1000 sf.