PDA

View Full Version : What to buy, what to buy, what to buy.....

sedge
10-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Getting back into the fert and squirt after a 3 year hiatus. debating on three types of transporting equipment so i thought i would ask all you "professionals"........

Equipment will be 2 boomed sprayers, 2 150 gallon holding tanks. My son is working with me. Will use a ride on for ferting after the first round for granular fert.

Will not, shalt not use hose.

Open trailer. Cheapest and least looking professionally. My wifes preference.....:laugh:. I would have signage on it.

Enclosed trailer. Middle priced, signage on it.

Cab over Isuzu. For me most professionally looking and the most expensive, about 8k for a decent used gas with flat bed. Would add sinage as well.

What ya all think.

Remember this is a new start up, so is the least cost factor more worth and the least looking professionally or is it better to go the more expensive route to help attract clients? Or?

rcreech
10-24-2010, 05:01 PM
The biggest advice I can give you and you probably already know this..is BRAND, BRAND and BRAND your name all you can.

Put your logo, phone number and website on everything.

That is the bigger then having the nicest truck and equipment IMO!

Only you know what you can afford...but I would spend as much as you feel comfortable with or a little more.

What is your budget? You are looking at several different ways but which one can you afford? If you go with a box trailer or truck I think you will get a great payback on advertising and branding.

I say...build it and they will come. You have to look at the future so I wouldn't buy on today's budget either. Figure on how much you will grow and also using your trailer/truck to sell for you (with logos/signage).

Looks ARE everything IMO, but with that said I would rather have a professional looking "open trailer" before I would have a "junky" looking box trailer or box truck.

There is a guy North of me about 20 miles and I laugh every time I see him. He has a 1980's Ford with a piece of junk skid sprayer on the back and it looks like he is using garden hose on part of it.

It is the most unprofessional looking outfit I have ever seen, but people must use him.

Start out as nice as you can afford and upgrade as you go!

Hope this helps!

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
If it were me i would go with in closed trailer or isuzu every thing is locked and out of the weather.

We have the same guy running around here old truck skid sprayer every time i see him he turns off. I don't think he is lic no name or lic number on truck.
In wv you have to have your lic # on your truck.and you never see him on the highway.

Charles Cue

sedge
10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Gonna have shirts, hats and signage all over the place. Shirts are lime green and dark green, I will post some pics when I have them done. Phone number is ###-LAWN, company name is ###-lawn.com, so any time we call some one it will show up as ###-lawn.com

Budget, cannot afford any......lol, lol. We have enough to spend on any, but of course we want the biggest bang for the buck. Also, what ever we can save i can use to hire my flyering done or more of it. i plan on flyering 5 days a week 11 months of the year. That, our quality of work, signage and word of mouth will be our advertising.

The enclosed trailer would be the only thing enclosed, if I go with the Isuzu it was going to be a flat bed, but that is something to think about it.

Thanx guys, any one else?

humble1
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
are you landscaping also or just going to do chemicals?

GravelyGuy
10-25-2010, 10:38 PM
If you already have a truck then an enclosed trailer would proabably be your best bet for starting out.

Frank Fescue
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
no one cares about your signs. theres a million "lawn..." and "turf...." out there now that it melds into one giant ball of confusion for the homeowner. if you're starting out doing lawn maintenance again, treat a few customers, offer them neighbor deals, spread the word. check for flags in lawns, drop a flier in their mailbox. putting mass signage out there isnt going to attract a single customer.

sedge
10-26-2010, 12:43 AM
are you landscaping also or just going to do chemicals?

Will do some mowing to fill the gaps until we are busy enough with the weed n feed, but no landscaping per se.

If you already have a truck then an enclosed trailer would proabably be your best bet for starting out.

Wife decided today I was going with an enclosed trailer.......;)

no one cares about your signs. theres a million "lawn..." and "turf...." out there now that it melds into one giant ball of confusion for the homeowner. if you're starting out doing lawn maintenance again, treat a few customers, offer them neighbor deals, spread the word. check for flags in lawns, drop a flier in their mailbox. putting mass signage out there isnt going to attract a single customer.

No one said they cared. Just if we are in front of them often enough and we offer quality work for a fair price, we will pick them up more so then if we do nothing.

rcreech
10-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Wife decided today I was going with an enclosed trailer.......;)

I think we are seeing who wears the pants! :laugh:

Enclosed trailer is a great way to go I am sure! It is nice to have all your "stuff" where you don't have to unload every night, it can't get stolen and stays dry.

Good Luck!