PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat for leaf removal

geminibuddy
10-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Working at a condo with a covered parking area with a wall down the "long side" that collects leaves against base of wall and under cars. Also has open parking area. Tons of leaves on property- including pin oaks. ugh. Anyway, I cannot simply "blow them to the street" and am being asked to bag leaves and remove. The prior company received lots of complaints from dust on cars, etc. so I am being very conscious for these clients. However, after having done this twice at 6 hours each time with blowing, brooming, and bagging, I am considering buying the Billy Goat leaf vacuum. Recommendation/opinions?

Chevy z71
10-24-2010, 06:47 PM
i think the little wonder hpv would work better then the billy goat one.

ringahding
10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Good luck getting no "DUST" on anything...just blow off the cars and reassure the client this is part of the clean up "PROCESS" sell....sell....sell..
BILLY GOAT OR LIL WONDER...don't matter both will get the JOB done...

geminibuddy
10-24-2010, 07:17 PM
First of all, I have never operated one of these. I just went to the Little Wonder website- do you think it allows you to line the collection bag on the machine with a heavy garbage bag so that I would be able to collect directly into the garbage bag? That would seem very handy. Also, I have no idea on pricing these, but I am not afraid of buying quality, particularly if it is going to save me so many man hours. Any feedback from owners of these? I would be most grateful.

geminibuddy
10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
You are so correct on telling them that dust is part of the process. Here is the "plan" I am using to success right now- I have had one lady in particular that was concerned about her Honda Accord accumulating dust on the windshield. :nono: I remained pleasant and told her I would take good care of her. I simply go to her unit and knock on the door when I am fixing to blow around her area so that she can move her car. She seems happy and it makes me look proactive. :weightlifter:

The other method I do is simply to quickly rake most of the leaves out from the carport area so that they don't scatter everywhere/in the air over the cars and it seems that the prior company was not concientious at all- it just takes a little effort and once the clients saw the effort from me at least trying to minimize it and then blowing the cars off(whether it worked 100% or not) it was appreciated.

stan the man
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
anything you do you are going to have dust. the one thing i can say is handheld vacuum by echo.dust is little less

geminibuddy
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree that anything will leave dust. :) I have them complain regardless- but we try.

The main question remains with "What is the best system for leaves in a parking lot that I have to remove from property weekly"?

Thanks for the replies!!

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
You need one of these or to build something like this:
Just passes it at this site
http://www.municipalequipment.com/leaves.html

geminibuddy
10-24-2010, 10:56 PM
wow- a bit large for my usage but an interesting concept. Thanks for the diagram.

I should never had mentioned "dust". HA!!

2low4NH
10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a parker vac with a heavy bag very little dust but the bag fills super fast. I stopped using mine but the regular mesh bags will blow a lot of dust everywhere.

wild willy
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
get a cyclone rake and double your usage, clean the areas you need and use it as a truck loader for other jobs. I'm sold on it and getting the new 10 inch model next year!!

geminibuddy
10-26-2010, 09:52 AM
The cyclone rake is probably a great product (I have never used one) but does not appear to be the best for my application. I have to be able to get into the carport areas and around vehicles and the cyclone looks like it is more suited for open areas- plus a mower tow.

Based on the replies, I am debating a Billy goat vac, the Little Wonder vac, and one dealer suggested a smaller model snapper vac.

Suggestions? Advantages of one over the other? Anyone ever use the Snapper? One thing I am running into is dealer availability on the Little Wonder product.

ddixonlawncare
10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
The cyclone rake is probably a great product (I have never used one) but does not appear to be the best for my application. I have to be able to get into the carport areas and around vehicles and the cyclone looks like it is more suited for open areas- plus a mower tow.

Based on the replies, I am debating a Billy goat vac, the Little Wonder vac, and one dealer suggested a smaller model snapper vac.

Suggestions? Advantages of one over the other? Anyone ever use the Snapper? One thing I am running into is dealer availability on the Little Wonder product.

I have a little wonder hpv vac that i use for parking lots and tight areas where there is no grass or wind is a concern. It will suck up leaves, pine combs, coke cans, trash you name it. The process takes a little longer but it does suck up everything in its path. It also has a height adjustment which comes in handy. They retail new from 1500.00-2000.00. I found mine on ebay about 5 years ago and it has been very dependable. We also use it to clean up our hedge trimming jobs as well. Hope this helps

LewisLawn
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I second the HPV by Little Wonder I have been told that others do not shred the leaves as well. I bought mine about 4 or 5 yrs ago when they ran about 900 not self propelled. Most of my properties are residential and confined areas fenced in etc...previously I would vacuum the leaves then mow because I would make an enormous mess now I have Gator Blades and an OCDC and after mowing quickly vaccum off the property works for me until I can get a bagger for ZTR previously I had a WB w/o bagger