PDA

View Full Version : New to me Backpack gas powered

Turf Dawg
10-24-2010, 08:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Backpack-Gas-Power-Sprayer-/280465165157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414d06cb65I found this on craigslist for 125 bucks, looks and runs great. I know it is not the best made brand out there [China made] but it sprays great. The problem is that it has a shrub and tree type gun and has a lot of pressure even with the regulator turned all the way down. I would like to use it for herbicides on turf. So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of a chemlawn gun instead of a wand, but I think I would empty the 6.6 gallons out too fast.

humble1
10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Backpack-Gas-Power-Sprayer-/280465165157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414d06cb65I found this on craigslist for 125 bucks, looks and runs great. I know it is not the best made brand out there [China made] but it sprays great. The problem is that it has a shrub and tree type gun and has a lot of pressure even with the regulator turned all the way down. I would like to use it for herbicides on turf. So, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of a chemlawn gun instead of a wand, but I think I would empty the 6.6 gallons out too fast.

do a return line that would be open back to the tank, that would drop the pressure, or some type of in line pressure regulator.

GravelyGuy
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
6.6 gallons:eek: Can you walk with it on? I have a gas powered 5 gallon Echo that is HEAVY enough.

I use a fan tip in the wand that works well for covering larger areas.

CHARLES CUE
10-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't like a chem lawn gun for spot spraying if that what your going to do.

My chem lawn gun at the lowest pres i can get is 1.3 gal per th. thats just about 2.5 gals per min.

May be you could plug some of the holes ?

Ever try a AI tip in a wand instead of a flat fan ?

Charles Cue

humble1
10-24-2010, 09:29 PM

why not buy the fastpac with the wand?

Turf Dawg
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes it is pretty darn heavy. I would like to use it for blanket coverage and get 10-12k or so per tank. I was thinking of getting a wand and putting on a 3 tip boom on the end of it. I have a 2 tip boom on a 4 gallon pump backpack now with A I 11003 nozzles on it that works well, so I think if I can get the pressure down to around 40 psi instead of 220 psi the 3 tip boom would work well. It already has the bypass agitation on it so I guess I am going to have to try and get some sort of inline regulator and gauge.

GravelyGuy
10-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Doesn't the throttle help regulate the pressure? Mine has no guage, but the engine speed lets me adjust from very high pressure to just a drip.

I can get 10K out of mine.

Turf Dawg
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Doesn't the throttle help regulate the pressure? Mine has no guage, but the engine speed lets me adjust from very high pressure to just a drip.

I can get 10K out of mine.

Yes it does but that really affected the way it sprayed. It may be better with a wand and either AI or a fan tip on it though. I wish I could find a wand with the same size thread as the hose has, that way I would not have to cut the hose and mess it up [not that it would matter much]

cgaengineer
10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Solo makes a walking boom for powered sprayers. You can also purchase a regulator from Tractor Supply or TeeJet.

My Stil backpack holds 5 gallons, I never fill more than 4 gallons...too hard on my back, I can't imagine 6 gallons (48 pounds of water, plus weight of backpack).

You are probably gonna want to get your pressure down to the 40 psi or lower range if possible. Maybe Greendoctor will chime in and let you know his setup since he uses a similar machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
10-25-2010, 02:55 AM
I see you got the Chinese knock-off of the Maruyama power sprayer. I hope that guy is just spraying water. Unregulated, these machines are made to fog fruit orchards and vegetable fields. I actually have a Maruyama MS074 and a Solo 433. The Solo will be in the threads I linked to. Both of these machines came with a wand that had twin wide angle mist nozzles on the end. Good for fogging vegetables, bad for treating lawns. Right now, I run either a single nozzle fan on a wand or a 3 nozzle boom with tips spaced 20" apart. The boom is PVC, so it is easy to hold 16" above the grass and walk at a steady pace. My current regulator is a Watts 263 with stainless steel gauge and screws. This will allow you to cut the output pressure to 40 PSI or less. Note that my boom has AI11004 nozzles on it. At 40 PSI and a steady, sustainable pace, I can put down 1.25 gallons per 1000 sq ft with total accuracy and safety to surrounding vegetation. These machines weigh about 80+ lbs full. However, the weight does not bother me too much because I do not have to pump a handle, walk and hold the wand all at the same time. I can stand to use rather heavy spray guns and wands because my other hand is free to support the weight. Either that or I am just crazy.

Refer to this post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258937 , this one http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=257988 , and this one http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256048 .

Here's the regulator. Note that it is sold with GHT fittings. All of my spray equipment is standardized to 1/4" stainless steel pressure washer grade quick coupler sets. So those fittings came off, 1/4"-1/2" reducers went on and then the quick couplers. As for the hose on the machine, that is JIS 12MM thread. It is close enough to 1/4" NPT that I can thread on a 1/4" ball valve and quick coupler with some Teflon tape.

Before I had my truck mount skid and 300 ft hose, I actually sprayed an acre at 1 gallon per 1000. The mix going down was metsulfuron and Quicksilver. It took me longer to mix up each load than it did to spray it out.

If you were gong to try to apply 0.5 gallons per 1000 or 12,000 per filling, I would be looking at AI11002 tips on a boom.

Hope this helps.

Turf Dawg
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you Greendoctor for info on the regulartor.

I started thinking, yea scares me too, since I only have 125 bucks in this sprayer and it is set up to spray about 20' high or a heavy fog that I might want to try to use it for Mosquito Barrier. Some of my clients are always having their swim clubs, book clubs and parties that always need an extra mowing and stuff the day before and I thought this might be a good up-sell.

greendoctor
10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
My pleasure. Know that this set up is used in my business more often than my 100 gallon skid sprayer. I have lots of small lawns with different types of grasses with different needs. A 100 gallon load of 3 Way, urea and Pre M will not suit my needs. Custom mixes for each lawn are where I am at.