PDA

View Full Version : When to stop aerating?

Schuley
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Is there a good rule of thumb as to when to stop aerating? Im in Wisconsin. Lately i've been told that you can do it up untill the snow flies, other people have told me that you should stop in the middle of October. I'm a little confused but can't find anything that gets more specific than "Fall is a good time to aerate" Well......is late fall considered "fall"? We just got some rain after about a month of not getting any, and i've had a couple calls for aerating. I'll probably do them, but just out of curiosity I was wondering when to stop?

Schuley
10-25-2010, 09:53 AM
P.S. I already did a search, but couldn't really find what i'm looking for....

willretire@40
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I have heard that you want the grass to start growing before the first frost. So I would say up until 2-3 weeks before expected first frost.

Mowbizz
10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think aerating can actually hurt anything, as long as the ground is not frozen...do your "couple of calls" and don't worry about being too late, I say. Then again, there's always Spring...

MarcSmith
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
you can aerate any time until frozen ground. juts don't count on much seed growing if you overseed. we are starting to get up against the wall her ein VA DC time wise for seed.

knox gsl
10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I haven't even started any aeration here, but after a long dry spell we are getting a few days of rain this week. I think I'll be plugging some holes come Friday. We don't expect the first real heavy frost for another month so I should be ok.

MOW ED
10-25-2010, 06:51 PM
The grass should be growing for aeration to be beneficial. What is the point of aerating a lawn that will not benefit from the increased space from coring it. I aerated my last lawn in late September. Believe it or not the grass is still growing here but I am not aerating anymore. Its leaf season. I don't know how long your season lasts in southern WI but I am thinking you are close to the end of your growing season.
I personally wouldn't aerate anymore but its up to you. Good Luck.