PDA

View Full Version : Case VS. Deere VS. Bobcat

justin_farmer
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
New to this site, been searching the archives for discussions as to which to buy....Case, Deere, Bobcat. Our Scat Trak 1750D is needing to move on. We are demoing a Slightly used 2008 Case 440 series 2 w/cab. We can buy a new hold over Deere 320 w/cab for nearly the same money, but there is not one available to demo, we would have to buy without trying. Looks like the service would be very easy on the Deere, just don't know anything about them. I just looked into a S205 Bobcat, but haven't drove one yet, and the dealer is farther away. Case and Deere are within 8 miles.

Uses are loading commodities into feed wagon, some dirt work, and scraping and loading hundreds of tons of manure. 600+ hours/year. Manure work is done in tight quarters. Also loading and moving 2000lb. bales of bedding and hay.

We are used to hand/foot controls, but I get along fine with the H-pattern hand controls in the 440. Its my dad who can't get the hang of them.

Give me some Thoughts/Opinions?

dave esterns
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
well, these are all alright machines. we have a dairy farm and run our s185 about a thousand hours a year. it has 7400 hours on it and is still going strong. i would recommend a series 3 case 440 over a series 2, they had a few problems with the earlier ones but it would probably still be ok. a 440 is a lot tougher and has a lot more power than a s205, and is more for digging in the dirt. a 205 would have more reach for dumping in a spreader. im pretty sure the deere would be WAY longer than a 440 or 205 so that might be a problem in your close quarters.

coastallandscapesolutions
10-27-2010, 11:32 AM
All are good pieces of equipment and do a good job. We switched from Bobcat to Caterpillar a few years ago and have been very happy. However, 30% of your decision should also be how the dealer is going to take care of you when you have a problem. Will they give you a loaner if yours goes down? What kind of parts inventory do they carry and if ordering a part, how long should you expect to be waiting. There are a lot of good machines out there, some do some things better then others and vise a versa. There are also a lot of new things coming out at GIE this week so it should be interesting to see them. Best of luck!

zak406
10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
i have used deere and bobcat. Out of the two i liked the bobcat better. However like the previous poster like cat more than any of the ones listed

coastallandscapesolutions
10-29-2010, 09:02 AM
As for Bobcat I do have 3 A300's and would not trade them for anything. They are one of a kind. All the others are Cat's. Hands down my choice.

Wayne 55
10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Being a operating engineer and running all sorts of equipment hands down would be Cat. Second in my opinion is New Holland. I too like foot controlls but do like the one hand joystick Cat has. Another true option to look into is going with tracks over tires. Less damage to ground and all around better controll and stability. The thing about New Holland that is better in my opinion is keeping the bucket a little further out in front when fully raised. Do yourself a huge favor and test drive them. If they dont have "loaners" dont buy it. Everything is great when it is new so buying one you got to look down the road and see what it will turn into and what sort of return you can get in trade in value.

3ipka
11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Case by far. Have had my 430 for 5 years now and compared to rental bobcats, gehl's and, new hollands that i have ran in the past, not one has even tempted me to switch from my case.