PDA

View Full Version : How can it be?

Prolightscaper
10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
And its not a mistake. I came across an oddity today so I took advantage of it. It's for the purchase of a consumable used in this business.

The cost just happened to catch my eye on the shelf tag and with a little calculation in my head I figured it had to be a mistake.

I called someone over who worked there and she confirmed the price was valid and correct. Problem, only a small qty on the shelf. I checked the quality and it was good. No problem as she directed me to the special order desk and asked me how much I cared to purchase . I told her and she said no problem (she quickly called the manufacturer placed the order and promised me 7-10 days for delivery) and then told me that I could save 10% with a house acct which I could apply for on the spot. Took about 15 minutes and I was given a 7 thousand dollar credit line on the spot. While I was filling out the app she brought me a hot chocolate.

Could it get any better. As I'm placing the order and signing for it with my new acct. the lady comes back and gives me an Igloo water cooler complete with cup dispenser and says thanks, the 10% discount applies to all future purchases over 500 that you use your house acct. with.

Now this store is not a store that is wholesale to the trade only. I normally reserve these types of purchases to those suppliers that cater to contractors only. This was just so wrong and I'll tell you why.

My normal supplier could not come close to what I paid for this product. In fact I could have purchased 10K dollars of it from them and it still would have been less at this open to the public non specialized store. I could have purchased 1 pc and the price was the same with them. ten percent with the house acct and 500 dollar purchase only sweetens the deal.

what I'm getting to is what is going on here. Things are topsy turvy when a consumer can go into a store and buy a much smaller qty of similar product for less than what a trade pro can for for much larger purchases.

Again we are talking about quality product with proper listings not inferior lower grade product.

This same store had an MR-16 LED at a cost that I could also not touch from my supplier. I don't know of the quality but it was so cheap that I picked one up to check it out.

It really has got to have you wonder what is going on.

Mayor_tx
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Are you talking about the MR-16 at Home Depot that I keep seeing?

How does it look outside?

David Gretzmier
10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I think when talking about awesome deals, if you truly want informed opinions, it is easier to get specific advice when you are specific about which store and which product. Otherwise we are just guessing "why".

I have no problem mentioning I buy wire from Lowe's or Home Depot. I buy grease king connectors there. wire cutters, strippers, etc. They have excellent 120v fixtures, both indoor and outdoor, but the cheapest, fastest dying 12v fixtures.

name names and we will all be better informed. :weightlifter:

Prolightscaper
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I think when talking about awesome deals, if you truly want informed opinions, it is easier to get specific advice when you are specific about which store and which product. Otherwise we are just guessing "why".

I have no problem mentioning I buy wire from Lowe's or Home Depot. I buy grease king connectors there. wire cutters, strippers, etc. They have excellent 120v fixtures, both indoor and outdoor, but the cheapest, fastest dying 12v fixtures.

name names and we will all be better informed. :weightlifter:

I think I gave sufficient info to figure out what I'm talking about. It is not necessary to give specifics on an open message bd especially when it has to do with pricing and suppliers who are not sponsors here.

Everybody is also saying to be respectful to the sponsors. It seems I'm damned if i do damned if I don't.

The point is there is a problem with the system of supply to the contractor (specifier) and it probably isn't a secret to most here.

Nothing will come of it because contractors are the most disrespected cog in the wheel but in my humble opinion the most important.

Prolightscaper
10-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Are you talking about the MR-16 at Home Depot that I keep seeing?

How does it look outside?

No I haven't checked that one out but it's probably a good idea that somebody does. Tommy made reference to it in another post. I've been aware of it but I haven't tried that one yet. I just figure that if the ones i've been getting from suppliers to the trade are not good then how can the one from home depot be.

Never known till it's tried though .

irrig8r
10-26-2010, 01:49 AM
You're not talking about Philips Long Life halogen MR16s are you? I saw what appeared to be a good price on 3 packs and single lamps of those, but I'm not sure of the quality...

I think it's the other side of the coin of being able to comparison via the Internet... it comes with globalization and retailers desperate to survive... But is it a "race to the bottom"?

Pro-Scapes
10-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Funny this thread came up.

I noticed this too. I went to get 1000 ft of 12/2 uf from my local supplier and wqas given the price. The big box store to the general public was VERY close to the same. Its a sad but true reality but with copper constantly on the move still day by day it seems to vary on who is charging what.

My guess is your consumable is wire and you took advantage of how the big boys will stack up the discounts. Im guessing that because no pro in his right mind would buy fixtures from the big box stores and you mentioned the LED secondary

MarcSmith
10-26-2010, 10:46 AM
its all about purchasing power... the big box stores have it... and if you think that you'll get the same deal purchasing from your supplier that a big box store gets you are delusional...

money and quantitiy. the big box stores can mark down the stuff and make it up on volume or appliances or nails or some other object in the store.

David Gretzmier
10-28-2010, 01:09 AM
2nd the wire statement. my local Lowe's 2 weeks ago priced 12-2 cheaper than my local supply place and pretty much lower than what everyone quoted me 2 months ago for bulk wire. either copper went down in the chicago mercantile exchange, or Lowe's got a great deal on 500ft spools...