PDA

View Full Version : AOLP, your suggestions

AOLP
10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
OK, the AOLP would like suggestions from you, those who are members as well as those who are not. We would like to know what it is that you expect from us.
Let's not make this a complaint area, we want real suggestions here. We know that we are lacking in customer service and ongoing communication and we are working on those issues right now. Hopefully we will have all of that solved VERY soon.
We want to make the AOLP YOUR association, an association that you WANT to join and be a part of. An association that is responsive to your needs as a contractor, designer, distributor and manufacturer. What suggestions do you have that we can implement to make you a happy member?
Thank you in advance for your input.

Prolightscaper
10-26-2010, 09:51 PM
OK, the AOLP would like suggestions from you, those who are members as well as those who are not. We would like to know what it is that you expect from us.
Let's not make this a complaint area, we want real suggestions here. We know that we are lacking in customer service and ongoing communication and we are working on those issues right now. Hopefully we will have all of that solved VERY soon.
We want to make the AOLP YOUR association, an association that you WANT to join and be a part of. An association that is responsive to your needs as a contractor, designer, distributor and manufacturer. What suggestions do you have that we can implement to make you a happy member?
Thank you in advance for your input.

I think just by reading this bd you will see what the issues , struggles , trials and tribulations that those in this industry face everyday.

I don't see how you can keep everyone happy - contractor, designer, distributor and manufacturer. There are just too many inherent conflicts of interest at play. For instance what may be good for the contractor made not be so good for the distributor or what is good for the manufacturer may not be good for the contractor etc.

They say you try to be everything to everyone and you end up being nothing to no one.

Just my opinion but your quest to satisfy everyone is equivalent to trying to satisfy both the Arab's and Israeli's.

Viewpoint
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Conflict of interest? Isn't the interest to make more money? Contractor, designer, distributor and manufacturer are all businesses, and a business exists to make money. How is the AOLP helping us be better at what we do and giving us a conduit for access (for any of the 4 fore mentioned groups) a conflict of interest?

My main complaint about the AOLP has always been that I don't get much out of it unless I go to conference. That has changed in the last year. Due to our efforts to form a state chapter, we now have benefits at the local level (though they're only local for me...not most of you). How did this come about? Our local contractors and AOLP members saw a need and filled it. If you see the same need, take it upon yourself to fill it too. The California chapter is limited geographically now by those who are involved, to the Sacramento area. We hope to start pushing for districts in the next year to 2 years, but we need other people to get involved. We've lit the torch. We need others to run with it.

Prolightscaper
10-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Conflict of interest? Isn't the interest to make more money? Contractor, designer, distributor and manufacturer are all businesses, and a business exists to make money. How is the AOLP helping us be better at what we do and giving us a conduit for access (for any of the 4 fore mentioned groups) a conflict of interest?

My main complaint about the AOLP has always been that I don't get much out of it unless I go to conference. That has changed in the last year. Due to our efforts to form a state chapter, we now have benefits at the local level (though they're only local for me...not most of you). How did this come about? Our local contractors and AOLP members saw a need and filled it. If you see the same need, take it upon yourself to fill it too. The California chapter is limited geographically now by those who are involved, to the Sacramento area. We hope to start pushing for districts in the next year to 2 years, but we need other people to get involved. We've lit the torch. We need others to run with it.

Funny you should question conflicts of interest (in this case contractor and supplier) as I just finished posting one big one under the post that starts challenges.......... post #14

Probably will be deleted along with this post though .

Az Gardener
10-31-2010, 11:06 PM
My main complaint about the AOLP has always been that I don't get much out of it unless I go to conference.

Ditto I think at the very least an introduction package, possibly a members list, newsletter, events calender, something, anything... to remind you from time to time you are the member of a professional association.

I have never been informed of anything but the conference through this board and my due are up time to renew.

Prolightscaper
10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Ditto I think at the very least an introduction package, possibly a members list, newsletter, events calender, something, anything... to remind you from time to time you are the member of a professional association.

I have never been informed of anything but the conference through this board and my due are up time to renew.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that they have all of this and more on their website.

Terradek
11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
AZ the AOLP puts out a quarterly newsletter, has a membership listing by state and by company name. We have information regarding certifications and various events that we are involved with. Your membership package includes Manf. and Dist. discounts and other promotions. We also have information on previous conferences with photos and our Design Award Winners. We offer both face book and twitter accounts for you to stay in touch with what is going on at the AOLP. We also have a bookstore with reviewed and recommended reading. You can also order AOLP logo ware for your business. But the biggest thing we offer is the opportunity to get involved with the industry that we all are invested in. If you have a particular area of interest that you would like to get involved in we probably have a committee or subcommittee organized and working on the topic.

Az Gardener
11-02-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't want to derail the thread but my point is this. I joined at the AOLP conference here in Scottsdale 2 years ago. I never got anything... zip, zilch, nada. The only way I even knew the association was still in existence was through this board. Hopefully I just fell through the cracks, I think they changed directors shortly after that. I called and e mailed but never got a response. I just gave up after that. Lights are just a small part of my business and it just was not worth the time.

I do feel ripped off as I paid for a membership and received nothing. Hopefully they now have a system in place so this does not happen to someone else weather the executive director has been there for years or is new. That is what I think they need to do to improve the service at a minimum.

The funny thing was I just got a notice in the mail about a month ago noting my membership was about to expire and inviting me to re up. So I guess I am somewhere in the computer.

niteliters
11-02-2010, 01:48 PM
What are/were you expecting to receive? The company I work at is a member of many associations, the home builders for expamle. we are members of 3 of them. The only time we here from them is when our dues come up and a quarterly newsletter. similar with the rotary and the chambers we belong to. We get involved, that changes. Again, what were you expecting to receive?

Az Gardener
11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
The stuff terradek listed would have been great. or the stuff you listed would have been a start. A welcome to the association letter, a calender, here are your member benefits, here is a directory of other members and associate members, here is how to volunteer, here are the board members.

Even a printed receipt from the assoc. with the address and website would have been a basic consideration. All I got was a generic hand written receipt that you get from the office supply store that does not even list who the receipts from. I gave the girl a check for several hundred dollars for the membership and the conference and that was the beginning middle and end of the relationship.

Viewpoint
11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I believe the organization as a whole has improved a great deal in the last 2 years. Give it another try (especially since the conference is back in Scottsdale in February), you may be surprised.

I also want to reiterate that being a passive member of any organization will likely yield few if any results. Getting involved and keeping the ties between members active through events at the local and national level is where you will reap the most benefit. I understand you probably didn't know how or where to get involved before due to a lack of communication, but the culture has shifted at the AOLP and I feel like your input will be welcome, good or bad now.

Az Gardener
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I am strongly considering coming to the conference mostly because of the marketing classes. That is something that crosses many boundaries so even though I don't install new systems, lighting clients are my clients, all my clients have extensive systems. I can market gardening services the same way you guys market your lights. I would much rather learn from contractors that are doing it than from marketing "experts" that are selling a service.

RLDesign
11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe the organization as a whole has improved a great deal in the last 2 years. Give it another try (especially since the conference is back in Scottsdale in February), you may be surprised.

I also want to reiterate that being a passive member of any organization will likely yield few if any results. Getting involved and keeping the ties between members active through events at the local and national level is where you will reap the most benefit. I understand you probably didn't know how or where to get involved before due to a lack of communication, but the culture has shifted at the AOLP and I feel like your input will be welcome, good or bad now.

Hello AZ and Viewpoint and Others,

I found the marketing items and contractor driven roundtable discussions to be the most helpful. It placed manufacturers in the hot seat along with end users, problems and solutions were addressed, and we all learned what was working/not working in marketing in different markets around the country. I also started my COLD certification, which started the first plant specific landscape lighting encyclopedia. I would like to know how to light something the correct way. The correct way is interpretive to personal taste, presentation, and objectives... but since we are lighting plant specimens with 3 lighting techniques there should be a large variety of helpful photos. I am lighting a 2 story pine tree with 3 techniques: LED downlights, uplights, and 2nd tier uplights. Each COLD year 1 class will be building this gallery. I know the organization is participation driven and I was a member who passed judgement without participating. The organization is better these last few years. Throughout conference and through my various AOLP communications, I found my instruction and training to be helpful and design related. Proffessional instruction from certified and trained professionals. There was no manufacture promotion for one vs. the other. I found certain contractors use certain products in certain areas, and I learned alot of about other contractors experiences from around the country. I learned more about the state of LED in one day than in my whole life. I saw photos of designs that blew my socks off. That was valuable. It is an investment in my education as a lighting designer and installer. I am proud to be a member and see value in the association. Just my thoughts. Tanek Reynolds Lighting

Tomwilllight
11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Joining a professional organization is much like a marriage. It is expensive and the payback may take years. The more you put into the relationship, the more you will get out of your commitment.

Many members of AOLP have worked endless hours to create a truly professional organization that has grown in strength and reach each year since the evolution from LVLIA to AOLP. They took the best of LVLIA - the CLVLT (Certified Low-Voltage Lighting Technician) and built on it's solid base to create the COLD (Certificate Of Lighting Design).

To support the COLD program, AOLP has focused on improving the quality of the presentations at the yearly conference. The selection of speakers have brought challenging ideas and techniques to the conference membership. The talk I heard near the end of last year's conference was almost entirely about what a "value" it was. We all left feeling like we had received new and deeper understanding new technologies and ways to approach lighting design.

You had to be there - at the conference - to get that value. Tanek got it because he was there. He put the effort into the conference and got rich rewards for that effort.

AOLP is poised to help our industry to redefine itself as an art, as well as a craft. Membership and participation in AOLP certification programs will offer you the opportunity to make yourself better at what you do.

The effort you put into the organization: attending the meetings, networking with members, meeting industry leaders at the conference, talking directly to the major manufacturers who are all in the same room and the study that comes from achieving the CLVLT and COLD certifications will pay you back many time over.

Tom Williams, Williams Landscape Lighting Design

niteliters
11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Tom brought something to my attention that I forgot about.. One way I have invested in the AOLP..Every year for the past 5 years I have gone to a members territory/home to see how they operate. That has been an invaluable tool. Doesn't matter the years they have been doing lighting design/installation. The visit has always been educating. End up with a solid friendship that is always a phone call away. only wish I had more time and $$$ to do 2 or 3 a year