PDA

View Full Version : does $2.15 per 1000 sf. seem a lot of money

ant
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Does $2.15 per pound of N Seem like a lot of money for liquid fert?
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That is very high IMO

With a top quality granular you should be well under $1 per k
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I paid around $1.25/lb of granular N and guys in here said I paid way too much for that.
You are at almost a buck more......the math is there.

ted putnam
10-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

payup Convenience costs more

naughty62
10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
$1.60 /gallon . 1.6lb N /gallon .Delivery charges can kill ya . And If the fert. has pass through several hand it can get spendy.Finding a close by source that will sell or deliver less than semi load can be difficult .

ant
10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

you are 100% right. i could remember liquid was lot cheaper,,.

rcreech
10-26-2010, 09:37 PM

I agree that convenience can cost more and sometimes is worth it...but you have to know where the line is.

The cost of Ant's liquid is almost 100% higher then a high quality granular with 50% SCU.

ant
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
and to to it off i got a price today 28-0-0 at 12.00 gal.. thats over $3 for a pound of N.. i am better off sticking with the 25-0-0 at 7 a gal.
what you paying? i love to stick with liquid.. its sweet ..no clean up..

rcreech
10-26-2010, 09:57 PM
and to to it off i got a price today 28-0-0 at 12.00 gal.. thats over $3 for a pound of N.. i am better off sticking with the 25-0-0 at 7 a gal.
what you paying? i love to stick with liquid.. its sweet ..no clean up..

And that is with no slow release. :cry:

Right now 28-0-0 is right at $300 a ton (bulk). That is $1.60/gallon and 1 gallon contains a little over 3# of N. That is roughly $.53 some cents a lb.

Are you looking at bulk pricing? Your price would actually be $4/lb or over $2200 a ton.

I have never used liquid on turf, but can't you "melt" urea down? I would think it would be cheaper to buy it dry and blend your own. Don't know...just thinking out loud.

VARMIT COMMISSION
10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Melt 46-0-0 UFLEXX down along with some straight 46-0-0 and ya got a quick green up and the longevity of UFLEXX. Guy's around here do it every spring until temps. get above 85 then pull the urea and run just UFLEXX.

ted putnam
10-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Melt 46-0-0 UFLEXX down along with some straight 46-0-0 and ya got a quick green up and the longevity of UFLEXX. Guy's around here do it every spring until temps. get above 85 then pull the urea and run just UFLEXX.

This is how I would try it to begin with as well. I'm not sure how it would work through a Z-spray which is what I think ant is looking for but as long as it was mixed well before pumping into the Z, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
However...UFLEXX or UMAXX should not be confused with "slow release". They have stabilizers added to keep the N from volatilizing and leaching so more of the N is available for a longer period before these 2 processes make it unavailable but it does not make the N release at a "slower" rate.

rcreech
10-27-2010, 06:28 AM
I understand wanting convenience and not wanting to clean up, but if you do a 10K lawn you can blow it off for a lot less then $10-12.
That is the premium u are paying for liquid.
On larger lawns it would b even more.

It just sounds like a lot to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

ant
10-27-2010, 08:45 AM
You are right. Btw there is slow release in it. Coron 70% crn.
Posted via Mobile Device

5starlandscaping
10-28-2010, 01:30 AM
I agree with varment commission on mixing the nitrogen. Maybe you could mix in some potassium as well.

rcreech
10-28-2010, 06:07 AM
I was actully talk n about the 28-0-0.

Does it have a slow release in it?
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
10-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

coulldnt you melt 46-0-0 down for under $1

humble1
10-29-2010, 11:15 PM
coulldnt you melt 46-0-0 down for under $1

I should read the other posts before I enter my 2 cents

ant
10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I am new to this whole liquid app.thing. I would not know where to begin

Posted via Mobile Device

Neal Wolbert
10-29-2010, 11:26 PM
So far, no one has mentioned anything but nitrogen. Does anyone apply the 20 or more macro and micro-nutrients lawns want/need to thrive or are all of you just to control growth and get a little green to satisfy your market? Just saying...

Neal

Neal Wolbert
10-30-2010, 01:17 AM
So far, no one has mentioned anything but nitrogen. Does anyone apply the 20 or more macro and micro-nutrients lawns want/need to thrive or are all of you just to control growth and get a little green to satisfy your market? Just saying...

Neal

rcreech
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Neal

Why put the money into micro's if the lawns are not defecient?

VERY rarely are there micro defeciencies, especially in a lawn situation (atleast here in OH).

Every once in a while I may hit a lawn with Fe if they are having a party or wedding but that is about it!

I could go on and on here but moral of the story is...more isn't always better, why add it if you don't need it and finally.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Do you add micros?
If so, do you see a response?

ted putnam
10-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Neal

Being in a warm season turf area, I don't apply the N in the Fall that the cool season guys do. However, I do apply micros (among other things) in the spring and have noticed thicker, healthier appearing turf.

rcreech
10-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Ted,

Almost all turf here looks good and healthy here in the spring. I have seen lawns right beside mine that don't treat in April look just as good. Now give them a few weeks after they "wake up" then there is a big difference!

My point is...turf is coming out of dormancy and has cool and wet conditions (which is what cool season grasses love).

Does the grass just look good and thick in the spring or is it because of the micros you are applying?

I would have to do a side by side to answer for me but also the customer would have to be willing to pay the extra.

If doesn't need it I am not paying for it and will stick to the N. If a customer isn't removing the clippings (we have adequate P and K and pH is rarely an issue) then technically N is all you need here.

pieperlc
10-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with creech, micros are rarely needed. A little iron in the mix never hurts but past that
everything gets too pricey for most of us lawn care guys to put down on a regular basis.

teejet
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Enlighten us what do you use that contains that many micros/macros?