PDA

View Full Version : AOLP Lighting Design Awards

elegance_alex
10-26-2010, 01:04 PM
We've all been working hard all summer to design and create the most beautiful lighting designs possible... now's your chance to be recognized for it! The AOLP has an awesome program - The Design Awards - and any member of the AOLP can enter. This year there's the SUPER bonus - the winners may be published in a prominent landscape magazine! The deadline is approaching....

Have a look at the entry packet at the AOLP website

http://www.aolponline.org/awards/11/2011_AOLP_Lighting_Awards_Packet.pdf

niteliters
10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
This program is well worth your involvement. a couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to be recognized by the membership for a sculpture I had done a lighting design/installation for at our local hostpital. Today that award hangs in the hospital with their other national awards for service etc. That has generated much buzz and some work for our company. Don't forget, you need to be a member to enter.

NightScenes
10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
I also have had great response to an AOLP lighting award I won for a commercial project a couple of years ago. I will definately be entering a few things in this year's awards!!

Prolightscaper
10-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Are there different categories for LED and halogen?

Who does the judging?

elegance_alex
10-26-2010, 11:56 PM
There are three types of awards in the 2011 AOLP Lighting Design Awards.

1) Lighting Awards of Merit (online voting by all AOLP membership - "blind entry" - entrant is not identified until winners are announced)
2) The Industry Achievement Award (Selected by the Awards Committee) and
3) The Janet Lennox Moyer Award (Selected by Jan Moyer, based on her written criteria)

Within the Awards of Merit, there are 5 categories:

Residential: Lighting designs created and installed on residential property for a
residential client

Commercial: Lighting designs created and installed on commercial property for a
commercial client

Water Features/Statuary: Lighting designed to enhance a water feature or statuary
subject, either residential or commercial

Outdoor Living: Lighting designed for the purpose of enhancing an outdoor living
space, either residential or commercial

Rookie: Lighting design in any category submitted by a designer who has three years
or less experience in design and installation

Best of Show: In addition to the categories, the membership will vote for ONE entry
to be recognized as the best of all entries, and may be selected from any category.

Chair - AOLP Design Awards Committee

AOLP
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
there are no different categories for LED/ halogen...line or low voltage. There's more involved than entering a picture. Will try to put some of that info here but could also be seen on the website.

elegance_alex
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Use the AOLP Application to enter.
All instructions are here, as well as my contact information in case you have questions.

niteliters
11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Use the AOLP Application to enter.
All instructions are here, as well as my contact information in case you have questions.

you have until 11/15/10 to get your entries in. ALL materials need to be in office by then so probably mailed by the 11th to be safe. If you're not a member and want to be call today!!! Best of luck to all those entering

elegance_alex
11-01-2010, 12:52 PM
To clarify - there is a "no publication" clause. In order to protect the anonymity of the entries - so judging is fair and unbiased - we ask that you please pull down any publication of the photos you are entering. This includes taking photos of your entry down from your own website, anything on Facebook, any forums (including LawnSite), etc.. This is just during the term of the voting. Winners will be announced at the AOLP Conference Feb 1-5 in Scottsdale, AZ. There is a lovely Awards dinner and plaques are awarded with ceremony. Thank you for your entries!

elegance_alex
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
You CAN send your new membership or renewal together with your entry! It all goes to the same address - just make sure you enclose your membership application!

Prolightscaper
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
To clarify - there is a "no publication" clause. In order to protect the anonymity of the entries - so judging is fair and unbiased - we ask that you please pull down any publication of the photos you are entering. This includes taking photos of your entry down from your own website, anything on Facebook, any forums (including LawnSite), etc.. This is just during the term of the voting. Winners will be announced at the AOLP Conference Feb 1-5 in Scottsdale, AZ. There is a lovely Awards dinner and plaques are awarded with ceremony. Thank you for your entries!

This is like putting tooth paste back in the tube

Once photos have been published they have been seen by many and are public. Some could have been up for yrs or so.

The judges are the members who are avid outdoor lighters that check message bds., websites, facebook etc. probably daily.

How can you guarantee fair judging and anonymity with the abolishing of this rule?

Sounds like trouble on the horizon.

elegance_alex
11-02-2010, 01:15 AM
We are doing our best to make a fair and open judging environment. The Lighting Awards Committee determined, after much deliberation, that in a modern world of open media and advanced communications, we (the AOLP volunteers or staff) cannot be responsible for policing the world wide web, individual entrants' websites or this (or any other) forum.

We sincerely hope that each individual will take it upon him/her self to be honest and responsible and remove publication when and if they choose to compete in this venue.

If a project has indeed been up for "years," could the designer not select another? Surely if one's design work is of top caliber, he/she will have more than one to choose from?

That said, we do, of course, understand that some people may disagree, and feel that as chair of this committee, I should personally check each individual's regular and historic postings to ensure that each individual adhere to the policies put forward in teh application materials. I respectfully decline. I feel that there are enough HONEST people with a real interest in having their work recognized, that they will make every effort to comply with this very simple request.

The judges are ALL members of the AOLP, some of whom have never read this forum. Others are busy getting their entries ready and have read the instructions.

Tell me, Prolightscaper, are you a member of the AOLP? Would you like to visit personally and make your recommendations how we could better manage the awards competition? I welcome your input. Please contact me by PM at your convenience.

Prolightscaper
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
We sincerely hope that each individual will take it upon him/her self to be honest and responsible and remove publication when and if they choose to compete in this venue.

Again my analogy about putting toothpaste back in the tube. What difference does it make to remove already publicized photos after the fact if they have already been seen and it is known who is responsible for the work?

When you are having a contest you should expect that those running it are doing more than hoping for honesty and responsibility.

When you vote tomorrow is the government hoping for honesty and responsibility from their voters?

Or are they putting systems in place to prevent fraud and not leaving much or anything to hope or chance?

Viewpoint
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
If I enter a job I installed in my first year (i'm now in my 6th) would that qualify as a "rookie" entry?!

What about entries from previous years? If I re-enter ones from last year, will they meet the "no publication" clause (if I also remove them from my website)?

Viewpoint
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
In response to the toothpaste analogy, I agree, it is hard to undo all the impressions your work has made over the years it is available. This rule is new this year, and caught me off guard...putting a damper on my plans for entering.

In the spirit in which these awards (I think) aim to be the pre-eminent lighting award of the land, they can take a page from equivalent in the automotive world...that is the Ridler award. The Ridler is considered the most prestigious honor possible for a custom car or hot rod. It is only given at the Detroit Autorama, and from www.autorama.com/casi/ridler_rules.php:

"The vehicle must make its first public showing at the Detroit Autorama. Showing the vehicle at any indoor or outdoor show or any unique part of the entry, i.e. frame, engine or body, will make it ineligible for the competition."

Thus there is no honor system relied upon, though I'd like to feel that our industry has enough integrity to uphold the honor system. Without integrity, most of us would be out of work. Just my $.02 for the Awards committee.

niteliters
11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Do we still have till 11/15?

elegance_alex
11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes. Be sure it is postmarked by that date.

niteliters
11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I heard the entries piling up. what is the deadline? I think they extended. I also heard that the rule about removing pictures from publication was relaxed. anyone know anything about that?

elegance_alex
11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
New Deadline: December 1, 2010

It has been brought to our attention that there has been some confusion regarding a statement in the 2011 AOLP Lighting Awards packet, and that this may be the reason some of you have decided not to enter the competition this year. We would like to clarify this statement now and extend the deadline for the program to allow you to reconsider submitting an entry or two.

The statement in question is… Publication of individual entries is NOT permitted before the judging is complete.

AOLP’s intention with this statement was to convey the following:
Do not publish on your own website, on industry websites, in blogs or in any social media forum that you have entered a specific project in the AOLP Lighting Awards competition for the sole purpose of getting members to vote for you.

Once you are told that you have won an award in the competition, you are not to publish/publicize this fact until after the Awards Dinner at the AOLP Conference and Expo in February 2011.

The new deadline is December 1, 2010. Make sure to have your packets postmarked by that date. This will be the last extension of the deadline.

Click here for the 2011 Lighting Awards Packet.

If you have any questions on the awards program, please contact:

AOLP Communications Director
Stacy Henninger
communications@aolponline.org

niteliters
11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.aolponline.org/awards/11/...rds_Packet.pdf

this is where we click for the awards packet, correct?

niteliters
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
sorry Alex, that site doen't go anywhere, I will let you post the site. I think it's in the first post you made in this thread

elegance_alex
11-17-2010, 08:29 PM
We've all been working hard all summer to design and create the most beautiful lighting designs possible... now's your chance to be recognized for it! The AOLP has an awesome program - The Design Awards - and any member of the AOLP can enter. This year there's the SUPER bonus - the winners may be published in a prominent landscape magazine! The deadline is approaching....

Have a look at the entry packet at the AOLP website

Try this one from my original post

elegance_alex
11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Nels Peterson has taken over as Chair of the AOLP Design Awards Committee.