PDA

View Full Version : Hey Smart People--- Knowledge needed

Turf Dawg
10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Treated grass clippings in compost pile.

I remember reading a post on here the other day that mentioned not putting clippings treated with a certain herbicide into a compost pile. Why is this? I do mostly maintenance and collect a lot of clippings with my Walker mower and it all goes in a big pile in the pasture. The stuff from 07 is ready to use. I do not turn these piles or add anything to them, I just let mother nature take her course. How long does the herbicides that say not to use in a compost piles hang around, does it hurt to use it in non food areas?

lukemelo216
10-27-2010, 12:16 AM
it depends on what your using. You need to read the product label at that time. Most herbicides are fine but there are a few out now that you can not compost them. I know there is a new product in development that is like one app fert but for weed control and that can not be used in compost. The other product i am thinking of is a pretty common product but i just cant think of it at the moment.

Do you do weed control or is that subbed out or do the property owners have it done through someone else? I know it would be challenging but if your not doing the apps I would discuss with them whos spraying and ask for a product label so you can do research.

mark123
10-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Your probably thinking of clopyralid and picloram.

lukemelo216
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
nope thats not it........

mark123
10-27-2010, 01:26 AM
nope thats not it........
Those are two products that contaminate compost. I was replying to the OP.

greendoctor
10-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Treated grass clippings in compost pile.

I remember reading a post on here the other day that mentioned not putting clippings treated with a certain herbicide into a compost pile. Why is this? I do mostly maintenance and collect a lot of clippings with my Walker mower and it all goes in a big pile in the pasture. The stuff from 07 is ready to use. I do not turn these piles or add anything to them, I just let mother nature take her course. How long does the herbicides that say not to use in a compost piles hang around, does it hurt to use it in non food areas?

I would not trust anything previously treated with clopyralid. Clopyralid is indefinitely persistent in compost and will affect most plants that are asters, legumes, polygoniums and some other species. Many ornamental flowers are related to asters. Would not want clopyralid near annual flowers or leguminous shade trees. Also on my no list is metsulfuron. A herbicide that will kill weeds at a 1/4 oz per acre is serious.

cjoverma
10-27-2010, 02:21 AM
it was probably imprellis, and yes DO NOT compost these clippings, great product though.

Turf Dawg
10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I have treated my clients properties for a few years now. I was just wondering why some products would not break down after a couple of years in a pile. Really the only thing I use, besides fert, is Prodiamine in mid Feb, Pendi in June, Pendi in Sept, some Speedzone Southern in spring, Celcius and some MSMA.

cgaengineer
10-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Dicamba is one chem that will hang around in grass clippings and can be transferred to non target plants when used as a mulch but I dont think this is the chemical you are talking about because I remember reading about one at some point in time and dicamba was not it.

ICT Bill
10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
I would not trust anything previously treated with clopyralid. Clopyralid is indefinitely persistent in compost and will affect most plants that are asters, legumes, polygoniums and some other species. Many ornamental flowers are related to asters. Would not want clopyralid near annual flowers or leguminous shade trees. Also on my no list is metsulfuron. A herbicide that will kill weeds at a 1/4 oz per acre is serious.

It has been banned in New Zealand, Australia and several EU countries because it does not break down in the compost, some countries take composting very seriously

nik
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Aminopyralid is a cousin of clopyralid and you get the same issue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those ingredients. Its taking the clippings and doing something with them, against the product's labeling that makes it an issue.

Clopyralid takes 18 months to break down, give or take a couple months depending on where you live. That is with the sun, water, temperature and soil microbes all doing their thing. Put it into a compost pile and you lose that combo. The product remains stable for much longer. If you had a couple years to compost it you'd likely be ok.