PDA

View Full Version : Splicing commercial LED C-9

JoeTurf
10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
This is for my own use. I'm converting all of my house lights to LED. I would like to be able to cut strands that are too long when I get to an end as well as splice into a strand to get to another section of house to make a custom look and make it easier every year I put them up.

Any advice will be helpful,

Joe

David Gretzmier
10-27-2010, 11:47 PM
can't do it. there are 2 types of wiring on 120v pre-lit strands of LED's, and neither will allow you to custom fit it to your home. the voltage cannot be regulated if you remove LED's on pre-lit strands.

you can get bulk c-9 or c-7 cord, custom fit that to your home and use LED retrofit bulbs. but when you see the cost of the cord and bulbs, you may run the other way. it will be aprox 3-5 times what very good pre-lit commercial strands run.

wish I had better news for you, but it is what it is.

JoeTurf
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks but man that sucks! I know they have different connectors like 3 ways or 5 ways to hook more up and I know they have extension wire with the connectors on. This will all help but I was hoping to be able to cut a strand of lights and then either shrink wrap the end to just shorten it or wire a connector on( after its shortened) and then use the extension to shoot over to another attic window without having that whole strand bridging from one window to the other. So LED's cant be cut at all, even to shorten a length.

hotrod1965
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
You can do it.... I don't recommend it. But I'll see if I can find a resource for you on how it's done.

David Gretzmier
10-29-2010, 01:22 AM
the rectified sets cannot be done that way. they have a certain DC voltage going to each LED, usually around 3.7 volts, and like mini-lights, you cannot cut into them. doing so changes the coltage going to each socket. non rectified does not change to DC, but they as well are voltage regulated. if they have more than 1 corcuit, then yes, it is possible, like mini-lights, to tap into the strand right between where the circuits happen. but I do not reccomend this.

hotrod1965
10-30-2010, 10:36 AM
the rectified sets cannot be done that way. they have a certain DC voltage going to each LED, usually around 3.7 volts, and like mini-lights, you cannot cut into them. doing so changes the coltage going to each socket. non rectified does not change to DC, but they as well are voltage regulated. if they have more than 1 corcuit, then yes, it is possible, like mini-lights, to tap into the strand right between where the circuits happen. but I do not reccomend this.

Sure they can, there is just a trick to it. You basically have to add in a resistor to make up for the voltage loss...

Check out planet Christmas and do a search there, several people have done it.

Its not even close to worth messing with if you are installing for someone else... but for your own house I guess it might be worth taking the time.

David Gretzmier
10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
for me, adding in a resistor to make up for the voltage loss is a pretty big trick. but you are right, I suppose it could be done. I suppose you could count the bulbs you need to cut out, and there is some formula for how much voltage you have upped all the other LED's by, and then size a resistor as needed.