PDA

View Full Version : Price/sq. ft. & Price Breaks

Peerless Lawn Care
10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I am expanding into the chemical application field this coming spring and I am trying to establish some competitive prices per 1,000 and when to offer price breaks.

Located in central MN and I want to stay competitive without bringing the industry down. Since I am a new applicator, at what level should a base my prices? How should I discount?

Any help, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

garydale
10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Call for lawn estimates from the lawn care companies near you.
That will give you some idea however, you must base your pricing on what it costs you to do the job.

mikesturf
10-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Every area has different pricing based upon how many companies are in the market and just what the homeowner is willing to pay. I am solo and I am assuming you are too. Push that point with potential customers. You are the owner and the one doing the work, not some tech that is just looking for a paycheck to buy beer for the weekend. Most everyone hates the big companies lack of caring and constant phone calls with upselling. Once I get a customer and they like the results, I ask them to forward my quote to their neighbors. There will be a small discount for them because I'm doing 2 or 3 houses in one stop-much easier to have multiple accounts at one stop.

humble1
10-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I am expanding into the chemical application field this coming spring and I am trying to establish some competitive prices per 1,000 and when to offer price breaks.

Located in central MN and I want to stay competitive without bringing the industry down. Since I am a new applicator, at what level should a base my prices? How should I discount?

Any help, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I have a spreadsheet with my cost of materials broken down into 2500 sq ft increments, then I have a seperate price for lawns in poor shape that will need more weed control. I have my time cost and profit and overhead in there. I charge more for pia lawns, or lawns w a lot of waste, like small strips. For me you don't get any break until after an acre. My min price is based on 5000 sq ft so a 1000 sq ft job pays the same as 5000 sq ft job, if the 5 k job Is a pia it gets bumped to 7500 sq ft price, if I have to break out the monkey grinder and spray a hill by back pack the 5k gets bumped to 10k price
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
You have the right idea, Peerless. Try to price slightly above the major companies--your service is worth more because you give personal service. Answer your own phone. Respond quicker. Communicate with customers more often and better. Fewer miscommunications. You probably have a database with a digital photo of each house on your computer. Only an owner operater can do that. Try to keep your service area small so nobody is more than 20 minutes from your office. If you use a cell phone, and answer the phone 24 hours a day--no big company can match that. Respond within hours not days--you will do well.
In the past I have discounted lawns by charging less per sqft if over 25,ooo sqft.