PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new engine

cmos123
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello, I have been using the Snapper mower from Sears for two years, it is not commercial and the engine is now trash. I was going to replace it with a commercial Briggs which I found for 240. They have the same shaft dimensions, but how do I know if the bolt pattern is the same? Or are they all the same? Thanks for any info you might have.

jkilov
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Nearly all makes, say Honda, Briggs, Kawasaki, Tecumseh etc. use the same bolt pattern. What you must be sure about is the crankshaft length, correctly measured from the base plate and not the output.

$240 seems kinda high for a briggs, you can get a commercial unit for $300.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Best thing to do is go to a local dealer and have them look it up! I will tell you they are NOT ALL THE SAME!!!!! i tried to do this with my old non commercial Toro rear engine rider and it didnt work out well......
The 8HP briggs motor was the orig.
Broke down so i secided to get a HONDA 8hp that was on sale (brand new!) at small engine warehouse (they have a site great fast shipping ordered friday night got to me monday morning)

The honda one was too big shaft size was correct
but the motor just wouldnt fit and the holes didnt line up!
if you have to return it you have to pay for shipping and usually a restocking fee....(that was my case) Which meant i was gonna loose $300 i would get my $200 back though

I figure i mise well just strap it on and run the tractor
forgot to put oil in it!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It was working until then! Ran and CUT!

White Gardens
10-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Shoulda drilled some new holes and made it work.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Shoulda drilled some new holes and made it work.

Hahaha! I was about to but i wasnt sure if it was gonna work so i ratchet strapped it down to see if the mower and everything worked.... It did! So then i didnt wanna touch it til something went wrong. seized up the motor Now i am trading it in for $70 towards anything at Weingartz (http://www.weingartz.com/)

cmos123
10-28-2010, 01:03 AM
I was thinking that I could just drill new holes if I have too, I will be sure to put oil in it too.

rwaters
10-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Nearly all makes, say Honda, Briggs, Kawasaki, Tecumseh etc. use the same bolt pattern. What you must be sure about is the crankshaft length, correctly measured from the base plate and not the output.

$240 seems kinda high for a briggs, you can get a commercial unit for $300.

Actually $240 is LOW for a comercial unit. Are you sure it is not a Briggs ELS with a Profesional lable on it? That is not a comercial engine even though they say it is. For that you would need a Briggs Vanguard engine.

David C.
10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Check me if I'm wrong---but Sears may have a contract with Snapper that says something to the effect

We'll stock amd sell YOUR mower but with OUR specs

Therefore, when that particular Snapper you bought from Sears breaks down----Sears wants you to go back to Sears to buy the replacement parts that they stock for THEIR mower that they sell for SNAPPER

A Snapper mower bought at Sears will have different specs---when you need a replacement bearing---you many not be able to purchase the bearing from anywhere else except Sears and their service center

See??

Replacement belts will be the same way---replacement belts for a Snapper sold at Sears will have a SEARS spec #

Engines are the same way----Sears will have a contract with Briggs(lets just say) and the anchor bolt holes on the Briggs engine will be built to fit the Sears brand Snapper---so that if you want to buy a replacement engine---say a Honda----to replace that Briggs-----the anchor holes on the new Honda you bought from another parts place won't line up with the holes drilled for the Snapper you bought from SEARS

So---what do you do??? You mount the new Honda engine on the Snapper frame and bore your own anchor holes----they you go out and buy a blade pully that will fit the crankshaft diameter for that new engine

txgrassguy
10-28-2010, 09:42 AM
First of all installing a replacement engine is more than lining up bolt holes.
The charging system, starter placement on the new engine, wiring harness may all be in a different location.
The actual bolt hole alignment is a function of that particular spec number on that motor and B&S has a cross over guide which will indicate what motor fits a particular bolt pattern.
Regarding a specific motor being available as a result of the mower being hawked by Sears, usually what happens is the retailer strikes a deal for X amount of units with a particular motor combination usually at the lowest price possible. What you get when purchasing a mower like this is limited parts availability as that particular motor combination is in the process of being phased out of service which causes parts problems later on.
Aside from the crankshaft dimensions the electrical circuit may cause some headaches as the snap connectors may not align properly. All you do here is to acquire matching connectors which are easily installed in place of the mismatched ones. DO NOT use crimp type butt connectors unless you are prepared to use anti-oxidation compounds and shrink tubing otherwise corrosion will occur on the electrical lines in addition to a possible poor contact between the butt connector and the wiring harness.
I see stuff like this all of the time, re-motored mowers with slipshod wiring and a really frustrated consumer.

cmos123
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
The engine that I am looking at is 8.50 TP Engine 7/8" x 3-5/32" Vertical Shaft CARB Compliant #121Q72-0020. It says professional grade, so I guess it is not commercial then? It does have a cast iron cylinder sleeve.

jkilov
10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Good engine, one of the best in-house Briggs, it's an improved Intek and arguably the most powerful engine on the push mower market today. Still not a Kawasaki and you can get the FJ180V for around $300.

rwaters
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
The engine that I am looking at is 8.50 TP Engine 7/8" x 3-5/32" Vertical Shaft CARB Compliant #121Q72-0020. It says professional grade, so I guess it is not commercial then? It does have a cast iron cylinder sleeve.

ah did not realize you were talking about a push mower. No that is not a commercial engine. But to get that you would need a Kawasaki, or Honda. The main things you need on a push mower are shaft length and Width, as well as the both pattern. At least you do not have wiring to deal with. Also the Briggs push mower engines are holding up nicely so I would not worry about the engine very much.

cmos123
10-31-2010, 01:54 AM
I found the engine on TulsaEngineWarehouse.com for 225, no tax and free shipping, I purchased it about two hours ago. It should be here by the middle of the week according to their shipping chart. I can't wait to install it, hopefully it all goes well.