PDA

View Full Version : advice on building grade up along foundations

northwest lawn
10-27-2010, 11:10 PM
ok guys i havent had to bid on any new work in 3 years so im a little out of it, one of my customers wants us to go through and raise the grade around the foundations of 53 houses. i figured 3 feet wide and 104 feet long is the area i would need to cover. i have access to free number two topsoil, some areas need a minimum of 3 inches and some need up to 6inches deep along the foundation but then it will be sloped away. then i must seed it. i know what has to be done and how to do and i have an idea in my head on what to charge but im looking for others opinions as well. how much topsoil should i need per house? and how long to wheel it by hand off the road approximately 4 yds from the road, there are no drive ways. thanks.

northwest lawn
10-27-2010, 11:39 PM
thats 40 yards not 4 where the dirt has to be wheeled

RigglePLC
10-28-2010, 08:32 PM
If it is 4 inches deep and three feet wide that is 104 cubic feet, each. But if slanted it would average out to half of that, 52 cubic feet per site. Divide by 27 to convert to cubic yards (about 2 cubic yards).

Labor I don't know--sounds like a major labor expense to me. Do you plan to seed in spring? What about erosion in the mean time? Try and get them to go with sod. And what about shade--will you have to reseed if site is to shady to grow grass? If seed is not watered?

And be sure you understand the reason for the job--is this a poor drainage situation?

And do not get the soil near any wood--termite or carpenter ant infestation could result.