PDA

View Full Version : lifecycle of grubs

bobbygedd
08-17-2002, 09:52 PM
can anyone give me a brief lifecycle schedule on grubs? it is my understanding, but i am not an "expert" that it works like this: the grubs hatch in late summer, feed, then go deep below the surface where they spend the winter. in late spring, they surface(without doing damage) and leave the lawn, the beatle lays its eggs in early summer, and the cycle starts again. this is what i was told by a distributor. is this how it works? if not, how then?

1grnlwn
08-17-2002, 11:17 PM
That is correct.

Mark

grassguy_
08-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Basically you have it in a nutshell, however certain grub species will vary slightly as to hatch time and activity levels. Depending on which species you are trying to control will depend somewhat on when to apply control. With some products you will have a larger window to apply and get full control. Severe infestations may cause some spring damage due to the population levels but most damae is done with the late summer/ early fall feeding not in the spring even though homeowners will dig them up while doing some plantings in the spring.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Also it can take 3 years to rid them. You really only kill durring one part of the life cycle.

KenH
08-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I HAVE seen grubs do damage in the spring before they emerge.....

bobbygedd
08-18-2002, 11:12 PM
ken, i have also seen spring grub damage. what im trying to get through my customers head is this: if u have grubs, and they are causing damage, it is no mystery, u simply dig, and u find them. this guy swears the grubs are eating his lawn in april and may, and the damage isnt obvious until july and august. his lawn is one of the best around, and then, coincidentally with the arrival of 100 degree temps(he doesnt water, ever), the lawn turns to **** and he says its the result of grubs eating his lawn in april and may. im trying to make sure i got my info correct, and others backing me. thanks

grassguy_
08-19-2002, 08:38 PM
bobbygedd, you may want to check for a billbug problem. Occasionally grubs will be heavy enough to inflict some spring damage before going inot their molting process, but billbug will inflict some servere damage in spring that really doesn't become appearant until the heat onslaught of July and early August. The reason for this is that the initial plant that is damaged by the billbug will usually try and start new growth from the rhysomes that are still capable of starting a plant. If the lawn is lucky enough to get moisture through the season then the damage can repair itself without much noticeable damage, however when you get to the point where the soil temperatures rise and the soil moisture becomes depleted then these "daughter plants" will die off . This will leave small areas dieing sporadically through the lawn almost masking as grub damage. Billbug is probably one of the most underrated damaging turf dudes out there, don't underestimate him.

Tony Harrell
08-24-2002, 08:14 AM
I was sitting under a shade tree in my yard last weekend and saw japanese beetles flying to the ground and then disappearing. Upon closer inspection, they didn't actually disappear (haha). They are a nuisance but it was cool to see how they burrow into the ground without a trace.