PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

jkoehler
10-28-2010, 11:32 AM
I am still a little new.......I was asked to spray Pre on a baseball field. I noticed that he had Rye down and has had it down for about three weeks now. I guess my question is will it be ok to spray? The label does list Rye but, I just wanted to double check.

thanks

rcreech
10-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I am still a little new.......I was asked to spray Pre on a baseball field. I noticed that he had Rye down and has had it down for about three weeks now. I guess my question is will it be ok to spray? The label does list Rye but, I just wanted to double check.

thanks

I guess I would have to ask what are you spraying for? What product would you be using?

Typically you do not want to apply any herbicides (especially a pre) to "new turf" as you want to wait until it has been mowed atleast a time or two.

There is a new product that you can use though over the top of new turf and it works awesome. Check out Tenacity!

jkoehler
10-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Just spraying Pre-M. The coach did tell me he has mowed three times already.

rcreech
10-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't put down pre in the fall...but if he has already mowed it 3 times you should be good to go!

If he has already mowed it three times I would also guess that is has been planted a little longer then three weeks.

It usually takes 3-7 days to germination and a lot of it can take up to 10-14 days depending on the watering/rain.

Lets see what others say on here, but when I am doing spring seedings I delay my pre until they have mowed a couple times and we are good to go.

jkoehler
10-28-2010, 01:15 PM
That's what I thought.....Mowed three times and only planted 3 weeks ago didn't sound right to me.

Puttinggreens
10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
rcreech,

Hopefully Tenacity finally gets the residential label this year.

rcreech
10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
rcreech,

Hopefully Tenacity finally gets the residential label this year.

Mesitrione is a wonderful product!

We have been using it on the ag side now for 5 years and results are awesome!

I heard that it can be used on res now but I have not seen it on the label for myself. Would have to check on that.

I know it can be used on sod, and I think Golf and sports fields.

Can't wait to have it at our fingertips.

RigglePLC
10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Creech is right. Exactly why does he want to sprya it so soon. Get your license and apply your crabgrass control in spring.
NOW if he wants to prevent Poa--that is another matter. Aug 15 is the proper date--but...

AnotherOkie
10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I had this link saved in my favorites. Can't confirm facts, but seems legit. I've used barricade after 60'ish days with good results.

<http://grove.ufl.edu/~turf/weeds/overseed.html>