PDA

View Full Version : Sport 48" w/Honda Question

etabbert
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm in the process of purchasing my first Zero Turn mower and I have a question regarding the Sport 48" Honda. I'm cutting about an acre of lawn that has a slight slope near my walkout weekly. I went to my local Hustler dealer to purchase the Sport, based on all the info on this site, but he said that I needed to bump up to the Fastrak Series, at a cost of $1600 dollars. My question is whether the sport EZT pumps are sufficient enough to do the job? The Exmark dealer is trying to talk me into the 42" Quest for $200 dollars more, but I like the low profile of the sport. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mowerconsultant
10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
How steep in the slope?
Can you post a picture?

etabbert
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
This is back of my property that I would be cutting. I'm concerned that I might need to go one step up from the Sport Honda. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

etabbert
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I just posted the pictures of my back yard, hope this helps!

mowerconsultant
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I am not seeing anything in these pictures that the Sport cant handle.

soonermike
11-02-2010, 03:17 AM
I agree with Mowerconsultant. I have that exact model and have some slopes on my yard. The only issue I have is when I mow low and get to my thick bermuda it tends to bog down and I have to go slooooow. BTW I have mulching blades so I think that is the reason it is bogging down. When I mow higher the grass is better able to be deposited.

etabbert
11-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I talked to my Hustler dealer again and told him that you didn't see anything that the Hustler Sport couldn't handle. He apologized for making me think that, but it wasn't the property that I was cutting that concerned him, it was that I tow a cyclone rake 3-4 times a year during the fall season to clean up the leafs. Should I be concerned about this or will the Hustler Sport with the Honda handle it? I pull the cyclone rake with my 16 year old 14HP simplicity with no problem, I just don't want to take a chance with the sport if you think there could be a problem. I can post a picture of the cyclone rake if it would help. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

etabbert
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Here is what I would be pulling 3-4 times during the heavy fall season. The Hustler dealer was concerned about this unit being towed with the Hustler Sport with the Honda engine. Do you think that this might be a problem?

mowerconsultant
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I am not sure if you would have a issue with that collection unit or not, I dont know the weight or the tongue weight of it.
Here is our "official" limits for towing and tongue weight for the Sport.

Tongue weight >50 lbs.
Operator + Tow not to exceed 300 lbs.

etabbert
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Do you have the Honda engine? I am torn between the Fastrack 48 Kaw and the Sport 48 Honda. How long have you had your Sport?

etabbert
11-08-2010, 05:33 PM
What about the Fastrak 48 with the 19HP Kaw? What is the limits on it. I really wanting to stay in the Hustler line because of all the feedback I've seen on this forum. I just don't want to exceed the Sport limits when I can step up to the next level to make sure that the unit I purcase will last. Thanks in advance for you assistance.

mowerconsultant
11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
What about the Fastrak 48 with the 19HP Kaw? What is the limits on it. I really wanting to stay in the Hustler line because of all the feedback I've seen on this forum. I just don't want to exceed the Sport limits when I can step up to the next level to make sure that the unit I purcase will last. Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Here is the towing information.

FasTrak 48/54/60
FasTrak Super Duty 48/54/60

Tongue weight = 50 lbs.
Tow = 150 lbs. (rolling weight)

karman
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Several questions re: these three units. For all, please assume Honda or Kawasaki engines. Many advance thanks.

1. What's a ballpark price difference between the Sport 42, Sport 48, Mini 42 and FasTrak 48?

2. At HustlerTurf.com, the accessories for the Mini 42 show a 3.5 bushel catcher, but under the FasTrak 48, it says "Mini FasTrakTM catcher holds 6 bushels." Which is correct or are there catcher options?

3. What's a ballpark price for the 3.5 bushel, 6.0 bushel (if valid), and 8.0 bushel catcher units?

4. How do the Honda engines on the Sport and Mini compare to the Kawasaki on the FT48? I'm surprised there's no Honda option on the FT48.

5. Are there any "hidden" differences b/w a 42" deck and a 48" deck? E.g. different height wheels, better cut in unlevel areas (tire hits low spot - lawn gets scalped), etc?

6. Are all Hustler units now a 2-hand operation? Many years ago I operated a unit that had the two arms come up through the center and T-off in the middle. This made it easy for 1-handed control (except for super tight turns).

Thanks!

karman
11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I think I found an answer for #1, but would appreciate info on the others. I'm struggling with the 42" vs 48" option. For my yard, I don't need the extra width, but I like the idea of a 3rd blade since I'll likely mulch more times than not.

Thanks.

mowerconsultant
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I would go with a 48" 3 blade as long as you can fit it everywhere and store it.

Pj

blackandgold
12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
karman

The Mini FasTrak is not a big seller anymore since the Sport offers more for less money. The Mini FasTrak does have heavier deck hangers, a 36" deck option, and larger fuel tanks, though.

Go to Smitty's and they will give you the right reccommendations.

The Fastrak used to have a Honda, but this 18hp and 20hp engines are no longer available. Now, the Honda option is only on the Super Duty FasTrak and while supplies last on the Sport.

Sport 42 Two Blades
Honda Twin or Briggs Single Cyl Engine Options
Not much Trim on the left side of the deck but this machine is designed to fit in tight spaces- it has a high cut quality, it's easy to operate and it's the only welded deck ZTR under 3 grand worth looking at.

Sport 48 Three Blades
Same Tires as FasTrak
Fair amount of trim on left side of deck
Honda Twin or Briggs Single Cyl engine options

Honda Sports Loop Style Rear Bumper
Single Cyl Briggs Sports No Rear Bumper, Standard

Sport 54 Three Blades
26hp Briggs V Twin
Heavier Duty Rear Bumper
Much more trim on left side

Expected Prices in the KC area:

Sport 42 $2999 with Briggs
$3599 with Honda

Sport 48 $3499 with Briggs
$3999 with Honda

Sport 54 $3999 with 26 V Twin Briggs

karman
12-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks PJ & BlackandGold. I think I've been convinced to go w/ a 48". Is the Honda on the Sport (2010) and FasTrak better than the Kawasaki (currently on FasTrak and coming to Sport in 2011)?

mowerconsultant
12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks PJ & BlackandGold. I think I've been convinced to go w/ a 48". Is the Honda on the Sport (2010) and FasTrak better than the Kawasaki (currently on FasTrak and coming to Sport in 2011)?

The Honda on the Sport is different than the Honda on the FasTrak, both are great engines as is the Kawasaki on the current FasTrak and the future Sport and FasTrak models.
It really comes down to personal preference and your dealers preference.

Pj

Barneyrubble537
05-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Ay thoughts on purchasing used (or new) hustler mowers that have been sitting for 4 to 5 years. I have come across a couple of opportunities such as a 2007 mini z 42 19 kaw that has only 17 hrs which is confirmed by the dealer selling it. Original owner bought it and essentially parked it. Another opportunity is a 4 yr old land pride z52 and 20 hp honda that is new old stock from a dealer closing out. Anyway my question is are there concerns with the rotating equipment on these machines having problems from sitting idle? Both these were stored indoors. Both are around the $2500 to $2700 mark and obviously I wouldn't find something with z2800 hydros and these motors as a current model but am I looking for problems by looking at these old machines? Thanks

hustlermidwest
05-28-2014, 11:38 AM
answered on your other thread.

Brian O

Barneyrubble537
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks Brian
I apologize for multiple posts on the question , i am new at maneuvering around this site and appreciate the response

Gabbyp
05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
I just saw the post by etabbert from 2010 about using the cyclone rake. I have a Sport 42 with the Honda engine and have used this combination and had little trouble. I do know that when the cyclone bag gets full, the Sport knows it and works hard. If you vacuum dry oak/maple leaves the weight is OK but if they are wet boy is it heavy to pull. It has worked for me for 2 seasons but I am going to upgrade to a Fast Track with the heavier Hydro Gear ZT 3100 units to be on the safe side. I am intending to aerate and thatch in the fall. The Sport has been a good mower but don't push it beyond its intended use.

Gabbyp
05-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I just saw the post by etabbert from 2010 about using the cyclone rake. I have a Sport 42 with the Honda engine and have used this combination and had little trouble. I do know that when the cyclone bag gets full, the Sport knows it and works hard. If you vacuum dry oak/maple leaves the weight is OK but if they are wet boy is it heavy to pull. It has worked for me for 2 seasons but I am going to upgrade to a Fast Track with the heavier Hydro Gear ZT 3100 units to be on the safe side. I am intending to aerate and thatch in the fall. The Sport has been a good mower but don't push it beyond its intended use.