PDA

View Full Version : hort oiled

Toughweed
10-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Was given half of a 55 gallon drum of lesco Horton oil yesterday. He said it is about 5 years old. Is it good to use or should I trash it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Toughweed
10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Horticulture oil..... this phone changes half of what I type.
Posted via Mobile Device

ICT Bill
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Horticulture oil..... this phone changes half of what I type.
Posted via Mobile Device

how does it smell? It is probably okay but I would test it on something that is totally stressed and another plant that is in pretty good shape and see if it takes it does any damage

Just remember not to use it when plants are heat or water stressed or in the heat of the day and never over 85 degrees

nik
11-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Pour some in a jar or other see-through container. Give it a shake and see if stays in suspension. Small amounts of moisture and knock an oil out of suspension. And then it is impossible to get back in.

Most oils are intended to be used within the year they are made. They usually don't sit well. Some can, and do, go that long.

I would also find out what color the oil is supposed to be. If it is darker than that or has what looks like algae growing in it then you don't want to be using it.

How well do you trust your "supplier"? Do you know how that drum was stored for the last 5 years? Inside or outside? What are the chances other stuff was put in there accidentally.

Many things can happen to adulterate that oil, especially after 5 years. A full never opened container that was stored indoors would be one thing. Free product can turn into something real expensive, especially if you end up burning foliage.

Just something to consider.