PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining flowerbeds

ratherbfishing3574
10-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I have several clients during the lawn season who want flower beds weeded. I will do this once to twice a season. The beds always look great for about a week, and then new weeds start to appear, and in no time beds look like crap. I have been weeding beds by hand, and going back and spraying anything i miss with round-up. Due to time it takes to pull weeds by hand + $22 for round up my clients pay a pretty penny for this service. There has got to be an easier way to keep beds looking good all year long, and not have a broke back from pulling each weed by hand. I would like to offer a monthly service for keeping beds weeded. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to keep flower beds weed free without breaking your back all year? Thanks for any advice.

Florida Gardener
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
You have two options in my opinion. 1) apply a pre-emergent at least two times per year. 2) get the flowers/ornamental plants to fill the beds in more and you will have less problems with weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Only other option than above would be to put your clients on a 2-3 week schedule for maintenance.

This works great for me as it can take up to two weeks in order for RU to work correctly. In two to three weeks, any weeds germinating won't be tall enough to pull, but rather spray.

At the end of the season I back off to almost 4 weeks after the temps start to come down.

Az Gardener
10-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Get the flowers so full the weeds can't get to the light. Do this by applying a slow release product like Osmicote (avail at H/D) and the applying a high phosphorus fertilizer every 2 weeks until the beds are to your liking then apply monthly.

SNAPPER MAN
10-30-2010, 12:44 AM
The easiest solution in my opinion is to just weed every visit. Every time my guys mow the also pull weeds, clean out flowerbeds, and trim/prune any plants that need it. This is the best way to stay on top of things.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Beds must be done as needed and they must be kept mulched with a decent mulch. No cypress, pine bark, pine nuggets, or other crap mulch. Roundup is weak as well. Finale is way more potent. Here in TX this is what I use:
Sedgehammer- Nutsedge
Sethoxydim- Pesky Bermuda & Zoysia control
Finale- Non-selective
Surfactant- Makes sethoxydim & Sedgehammer work better.

Know the common beds weeds for your area and know which weeds have roots types that are invasive and can't be controlled by pulling.

Cloud9Landscapes
10-30-2010, 03:59 AM
AMAZE by Green light is a good product. ORNAMEC works good for over the top applications for controlling grassy weeds. I weed every visit and a very thorough weeding once a month.

BShaffer
10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Freehand or snapshot during color change is a solid foundation. This twice a year spring and fall with color change should be all you need. Just use label rates. You may have some hand weeding but it will be very minimal.

Florida Gardener
10-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Some good points here:

Weekly weeding is a great idea, IF the customer is paying for it. If you don't want to have to worry about weekly weeding, snapshot or sureguard is a great way to go.

The best method is what I and Az have mentioned. Get the bed areas completely full to block out weeds. If sunlight can't touch the soil, seeds wont be able to germinate. One of the biggest problems here is so many of these so-called landscapers hack plant material and it never stays full letting weeds grow through. Combine that with all of the overwatering and you get weeds like torpedo grass growing through ornamentals which is really tough to eradicate.

BTW, Roundup will take care of pretty much any weed. Some weeds need a higher application rate, but there is no need to buy sedgehammer to get rid of sedge in ornamental beds. 2 oz./gal will eliminate most of your broadleafs/grasses/and sedges. The only weeds I have to use a higher app rate are viney weeds like virginia creeper and artillery fern is tough as well and needs a higher app rate.

ProMo
10-31-2010, 07:51 PM
I used to use surflan wich was pricey back in the day but now you can get a generic. It had every annual I used on the label as safe to spray over and never had any problems replanting in the areas that were treated.

ratherbfishing3574
10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Man I love this site. Thanks to all of you who responded I greatly appreciate your advice. I will definetly be trying out these products you guys mentioned, as well as getting clients on a scheldue.