PDA

View Full Version : Wow Do I Wish I Didnt Buy A Trac Vac

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 05:59 PM
So you might remember my post about my Trac Vac 655 pro taking 22 days to come in after they told the dealer 7-10 days, and how I hoped the machine wasn't as slow as their delivery.

When it finally arrived at the distributer, the mower mounts werent there and they didnt want to send it out until all the parts arived.

So I get the machine, WRONG DECK BOOT! Now its well into October so I tell the dealer I'll modify the brackets and when the correct shoot comes in he can send it back. NOOOOO that wont work, Trac Vac wont refund the dealers money on a modified shoot that they screwed up. So I attach this thing with springs while I wait for the correct one.

2nd shoot comes in, not only do the mounts STILL not line up but when I wire tie the piece of junk onto the deck, the blades hit the bottom of the shoot. So now its damaged so I modify the thing so the blades dont hit while the dealer calls trac vac for a third shoot.

I am not to the worst part yet. I start using it with this modified shoot which which works fine now, and what an absolute JOKE. This thing has SAT on the jobsite while we work around it with blowers! My helper and I made so much fun of this thing. At least it softend the $2700 blow to get a laugh out of it. The machine itself may be fine but it has No where near the ability to handle the volume of a 61 inch cut which it was reccommended for. Trac vac says 60-72" for the 655 pro model. It might work in the 40 range if you go slow.

With the 61" Ferris you get up to about half of walking speed in Maple leaves and it sounds like someone stuffed a pillow into the vacuum motor.

Its big downfall is the discharge shoot. There is a massive 8" intake with the 6" discharge it cant handle the volume. Plus there are baffles to fill the garbage cans evenly which further slow the discharge rate.

At this point Im thinking, Oh well I need the larger 11 hp trailer vac version, its puzzling that they recommend this model for my machine but surely I can work out something to trade up this week old machine for a larger model without losing my shirt too much, because this just isnt going to work.

I tell the dealer this same thing who remember is still working on finding the correct shoot for the mower. so at this point Im starting to think the dealer is ready to just cut his losses in terms of me as a customer. So I call Trac-Vac today to see what they think.

HAHAa My check has already been cashed. They could care less. "Its a dealer issue" he says. As far as the performance he says "Well ya, you cant just mow, you gotta slow down" I had already gone over the 2 mile per hour pillow refference used above so I explained again, I cant go slow enough. The machine is overwhelmed by my mower. He says "yeah, I use mine in 3rd gear". Im not kidding he actualy said that.

I even told him I want to trade up for the larger 1080. I didnt say give me my money back. I would be paying to upgrade to something I can use. I asked if there would be any help or consideration for myself or the dealer on Trac Vacs part or am I at a dead end here.

"Well, its a dealer issue, call them" Thanks guys, great service!

Anyone want to buy a trac vac? Low hours.......

flatlander42
10-29-2010, 06:10 PM
oh wow.....You think the trade up would not be that much of a Problem.....:S

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Not if I paid for it. I just dont want to get half of what i paid for the piece of junk I have now. Really? You dont mind when people sell you junk?

flatlander42
10-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm on your side here.....you must have read my comment the wrong way.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
oh, ya I dont get it.

flatlander42
10-29-2010, 06:19 PM
there I fixed it.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 06:33 PM
OH I forgot. At one point this Trac Vac guy said, "uhh, I guess they work different on different mowers" LOL

flatlander42
10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
But it must work with mowers with gears....LOL......Did the mower he used come from Hoeme Depot?

grassman177
10-29-2010, 06:41 PM
sounds like a piece of crap to me

another guy on here had serious issues with another bagger company, PECO, and it makes me wonder what these companies have up their butts.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Interesting. Id like to find that thread. I was thinking of switching to peco. I have one on an old scag I took on trade. Its a much heavier duty unit.

kubotafan
10-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I use a cyclone rake with my Kubota G1800-S and a 54" deck and have been very happy with it. They are a great company to deal with.

flatlander42
10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
This is from the Cyclone Rake website.......maybe Trac-Vac needs some advice?

With the Cyclone Rake's 12-Month Risk-Free Trial Offer, you can see for yourself how easy property care can be. Use any Cyclone Rake on your property for twelve months to be sure it lives up to your expectations. If you're not completely satisfied, we'll take it back and return everything you paid, including shipping costs for customers in the contiguous United States or contiguous Canada.

With the Cyclone Rake's risk-free trial, you've got nothing to lose. Except for the hard work.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 07:30 PM
wow thats a riot. Im sure this thread will kill several trac vac sales.

jay12
10-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I had one two years ago, it was about as bad, I couldnt go five feet with a 60" exmark and it was stopped up, so we tried to pile them up and use it like a vaccum it was almost as bad, worst investment I ever made, I have resulted to mulching kits and plenty of time, its not great but its the only thing I can get to work without a problem. Trac Vac is a bad idea for our mowers for sure.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-29-2010, 07:53 PM
unbelievable! Wish I would have heard these things BEFORE i bought it. Thats my own stupid fault.

mybowtie
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
I was the unfortunate one that was working with 4 seasons with this POS.
When he said he couldnt go slow enough he couldnt move 3 feet without it clogging up. That and the clip that holds the discharge shute on broke within 5 minutes and we had to use a tie down strap to keep it from blowing off and hitting you in the back. ;). Ended up wasteing more time unclogging and putting the discharge chute back on.

djagusch
10-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I have one of these on a scag and it works great. Can you go full speed in thick leaves? No but after you actually figure out what works and what doesn't it suits its purpose.
I would give a bit more time until you write it off. I haven't tried a vac that can go full speed in thick leaves yet. If you have please let me know what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device

22mike88
10-29-2010, 10:03 PM
that sucks sorry to here that. I had a dealer do somthing like that to me and i never went back again sold the toro mower and bought a walker. Now i deal with somone else and they are great.

scagrider22
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck, it sounds like the trac vac is more trouble than its worth! I dont know if ferris has its own vac system but that may be a better way to go. I run exmarks with ultra vacs and they work great, Ive had peco in the past and Im way happier with the ultravac.

ashs inc
10-29-2010, 10:29 PM
put some meg mos on your mower

Sammy
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
My Trac-Vac works fine. Like djagusch said, you can't run it at full out top end.

jbell36
10-30-2010, 12:23 AM
that's funny, we bought one two years ago and when i opened the packaging i couldn't see how it was going to mount onto the mower but i figured it was all there...nope, they sent me the wrong mount, so i called and he kinda messed up on the phone, he was like "it was for a gravely right?" and i was like no, it's a john deere, then he said "ohhh, ya i was wrong, it says john deere right here"...straight up lied about it on the phone, they obvioulsy sent the wrong one and he caught himself in a lie...so i had to buy the part off of one of my friends who had the same setup who doesn't use it anymore, needless to say the mount was completely different

other than that i would say the machine as a whole works pretty well, it does do a good job of chopping up the leaves and decreasing volume, mowing with the trac vac on does better than just using the hose because you have the mowing blades chopping them up additionally. i'm happy with it although if i had to do it over again i would probably have just gone with a 16 hp leaf loader...the exmark ultravac is another option, that with a leaf loader would be a great combination

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
10-30-2010, 02:22 AM
Cyclone rake all the way! I can go at a good pace and neve stop that thing up! They are the best thing for larger properties in my opinion!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-30-2010, 04:46 AM
I use a Brinly 33 yard collection system and the only time it gets clogged up is if a stick gets caught in the hose. Like everybody else said, I can't go charging through leaves but I can certainly go fast enough to get the job done. Mine has a 8 HP Briggs I/C engine on it (piece of crap, started leaking oil like crazy at the output shaft at 100 hrs) and I can hear when the engine starts getting dragged down by the leaves and then I slow down. Other than the engine I'm 100% happy.

mybowtie
10-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I have one of these on a scag and it works great. Can you go full speed in thick leaves? No but after you actually figure out what works and what doesn't it suits its purpose.
I would give a bit more time until you write it off. I haven't tried a vac that can go full speed in thick leaves yet. If you have please let me know what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device

Full speed?? Cant even go at a snails pace let alone half stick. We even tried chewin up the leaves with my toro w/gator blades first, then go over them with the tracrap. Still clogged within seconds. Only time we went full speed, was to put the POS back on the trailer. We NEVER said it should be able to work full speed.
But it should work going very slow, and not clog within 5 feet.

Charles
10-30-2010, 09:24 AM
I have an easy vac. You can't use it when the leaves are the least bit damp/wet without it clogging. One of the best engines I had with it was the 8 hp commercial grade Vanguard. That thing would blow the doors off the back. Rarely did it clog. So when that blew. I went and bought a 11 hp Honda. Must not have nearly the torque that the Vanguard has because it clogs a lot even with dry leaves. So now I realize I should have gotten 13hp+ when going with a Honda. Some types of leaves clog more than others. Then you have to consider the depth of the leaves. The wetness of the leaves. I wait a few days or more after rains before using the easy vac. I use a 60 inch deck.

flatlander42
10-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I search "easy vac" on Google and it only shows a lot of vaccume cleaners! Do you have any link for them?

Charles
10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
I bought it over 10 years ago. I don't know if they make them anymore.

flatlander42
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
oh, ok.........

Charles
10-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Has a 36 bushel container

4 seasons lawn&land
10-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

What size deck though? Its obvious what is happening on my machine, the volume of material is completely overwhelming the machine. Its not even slow. Its non functional. Forget about speed, less than walking pace

Charles
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
What size deck though? Its obvious what is happening on my machine, the volume of material is completely overwhelming the machine. Its not even slow. Its non functional. Forget about speed, less than walking pace

Are you using high lift blades? Sharp blades? Can you adjust the baffles? I can adjust the baffle on mine to do less blocking

4 seasons lawn&land
10-30-2010, 03:01 PM
theyre high lift and sharp.

The baffles are stationary steel.

djagusch
10-30-2010, 03:13 PM

60" deck. Through thick stuff you need to slow down but its better than anything I have tried. Try starting the mower on transport hieght then lower it down. It sounds like it clogs right away which can happen when the deck starts up with a lot of leaves. Also in thick stuff you can have the deck in transport height and bag pretty well and then make the second pass at reg height.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
10-30-2010, 04:34 PM
60" deck. Through thick stuff you need to slow down but its better than anything I have tried. Try starting the mower on transport hieght then lower it down. It sounds like it clogs right away which can happen when the deck starts up with a lot of leaves. Also in thick stuff you can have the deck in transport height and bag pretty well and then make the second pass at reg height.
Posted via Mobile Device

He already said he cant go any slower and he tried mulching the leaves first. :hammerhead:

BrunoT
10-30-2010, 04:55 PM
This is why I could never pull the trigger on one of these aftermarket rigs. You pay first, THEN get to try and see if it actually works well with your machine.

If I were vaccuming up leaves with a 61" deck that means there are a lot of them so I'd probably think about a dedicated bagging machine like the Walker or Exmark Navigator. By the time you pay for the trac vac setup it's nearly as expensive.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-30-2010, 05:20 PM
How stupid will I look taking the thing back on Monday? Keep in mind I dont even have a correct boot for it. Technically I didnt get what I ordered. It still works the same crappy way it would with the right boot but maybe I win by default lol

QualityLawnCare4u
10-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I almost bought one of these thing and I am glad I didn't! My Exmarks with the ultr vac would suck up anything I throwed at it with very few clogs unless the leaves were extremely thick and wet.

MarcSmith
10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
by the time you buy a ztr and then a bagger, might as well spend the money up front on a walker/navigator type machine...

scagrider22
10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
by the time you buy a ztr and then a bagger, might as well spend the money up front on a walker/navigator type machine...

And go 5mph? No thanks! My Lazer bags great at almost full speed, and it doesnt leave those god awful looking 3rd wheel stripes.

punt66
10-30-2010, 05:59 PM
And go 5mph? No thanks! My Lazer bags great at almost full speed, and it doesnt leave those god awful looking 3rd wheel stripes.

Yup, my ferris with the vac clears the leaves in no time. Huige time saver.

MarcSmith
10-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I'll have to agree with ya on the speed....:)

I think any on board bagging system is going to be better than some tow behind unit...the more hoses and turns is going to affect performance...

mowerbrad
10-31-2010, 12:04 AM
I had a very similar experience. When I bought that same 655 pro model last year for the DC I had, trac-vac sent the wrong mounting brackets and deck boot for the mower the first time. They actually sent the right stuff pretty quickly, or at least the distributor sent everything quickly.

I should have known something was wrong when I ordered my machine in the first place. Once I ordered the machine, the dealer tells me that I can't back out of the purchase since it is a special order. They also told me that I if I didn't like how it performed, there was nothing I could do. After they told me that I was stuck with the trac-vac no matter what, I should have known to not go through with the purchase.

Once the trac-vac was all mounted on my mower, it would leave a clean finished appearance. At first it would leave a line of cut grass next to the deck boot. The dealer did some messing around with the baffles on the mower...that helped a little bit but it still had the problem. Then when it was still leaving the trail of grass and leaves, the dealer then told me that they would be out to look at what it does in the field, but they never called me and pretty much left me helpless. But that dealer lied so much, I couldn't believe anything that they said.

Plus the thing was not manuverable in the least. I couldn't get close to anything with that on and I had to be more careful turning around. And I wouldn't take that thing on a hill either.

I learned many things from that trac-vac experience. 1) I would never buy a trac-vac again. 2) My dealer sucked and I would never suggest them to anyone ever again...in fact I wouldn't say anything good about them. 3) OEM bagging systems are the way to go, not aftermarket.

NarNar
10-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience, that is horrible customer service.

mybowtie
10-31-2010, 08:17 PM
I have an easy vac. You can't use it when the leaves are the least bit damp/wet without it clogging. One of the best engines I had with it was the 8 hp commercial grade Vanguard. That thing would blow the doors off the back. Rarely did it clog. So when that blew. I went and bought a 11 hp Honda. Must not have nearly the torque that the Vanguard has because it clogs a lot even with dry leaves. So now I realize I should have gotten 13hp+ when going with a Honda. Some types of leaves clog more than others. Then you have to consider the depth of the leaves. The wetness of the leaves. I wait a few days or more after rains before using the easy vac. I use a 60 inch deck.

Here in the northeast, if u wait till a thet leaves are totaly dry, u would be waiting till next summer. We have to do leaves when raining here sometimes. If we wait to long they will be covered with snow.

NarNar
10-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Here in the northeast, if u wait till a thet leaves are totaly dry, u would be waiting till next summer. We have to do leaves when raining here sometimes. If we wait to long they will be covered with snow.

That is brutal. Kudos to the Northeast guys.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM

What the heck is snow?:laugh:

NarNar
10-31-2010, 11:00 PM

What is snow...:laugh: is it like mosquitos?

I can't even imagine going outside when it's 50 degrees outside.

They have "ice fishing" up there..."ice" that says it all for me.

kubotafan
11-01-2010, 06:28 AM

It is the stuff that turns boys into men!!!!

Richard Martin
11-01-2010, 07:36 AM

I thought it was that crap that turned black on the side of the road and became a huge chunk of rock hard ice in a couple of days.

punt66
11-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Snow sucks! I hate our winters. After 36 years of them i am done! Going to southeast asia for a month to sleep under coconut trees on the beach! Cant wait! Then were putting the house on the market right when we get back! Anything under 50% now hurts!

NarNar
11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I thought it was that crap that turned black on the side of the road and became a huge chunk of rock hard ice in a couple of days.

Me thinks you are right ha ha :)

I thought that was puberty :usflag: I have been to NY, MN, in middle of winters and it amazes me how everyone gets up and carry on.

mybowtie
11-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Me thinks you are right ha ha :)

I thought that was puberty :usflag: I have been to NY, MN, in middle of winters and it amazes me how everyone gets up and carry on.

It aint that bad...well ok sometimes;)

NarNar
11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
It aint that bad...well ok sometimes;)

NY City isn't bad... Buffalo... that place blew! The people are great, the place..IT BLEW COLD DONKEY BALLS. I am just being honest!:usflag:

4 seasons lawn&land
11-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I returned the Trac Vac yesterday. Yes, they are big on the no guarantee/special order stuff but I read up on product laws the night before. It took a while to get my money back, testing the machine, going round and round with them about it. Them on the phone with trac-vac (same guy that I talked to). Little over an hour of BS. But in the end Trac Vac would not do anything for the dealer so I ended up giving them $300 off on my refund to help split the costs. The dealer said Trac Vac will never find their way into this store again. All you have to say is "implied law of merchantability", you'll get your money back.

scagrider22
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I returned the Trac Vac yesterday. Yes, they are big on the no guarantee/special order stuff but I read up on product laws the night before. It took a while to get my money back, testing the machine, going round and round with them about it. Them on the phone with trac-vac (same guy that I talked to). Little over an hour of BS. But in the end Trac Vac would not do anything for the dealer so I ended up giving them $300 off on my refund to help split the costs. The dealer said Trac Vac will never find their way into this store again. All you have to say is "implied law of merchantability", you'll get your money back.

Im glad you got your money its to bad Trac vac cant stand behind there own product and they let the two little guys lose money. Does Ferris make a collection system? If they do I would hope and assume the quality is much better.

BrunoT
11-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Good work! It's actually "implied warranty of merchantability" but that was a good idea doing your homework like that.

After the blase' couldn't-care-less attitude I've run into when shopping bagging systems at a variety of dealers, It scared me off them. They barely knew anything about them, couldn't be bothered to order one for an older mower (because that would require making a phone call to the manufacturer to get the part number), and the idea that an aftermarket unit would be available for demoing was a joke. I don't know how some of these companies stay in business. You call for info on where to buy one and the place is in another state!

I think the best strategy is to avoid collecting leaves as long as possible, and then if you must, buy a dedicated bagging machine or a proven system built to work with your brand of ZTR and sold by your dealer.

mowerbrad
11-02-2010, 11:52 PM

When I had the issues with the trac-vac I had my dealer had the worst defense for it. After doing very little to actually help, all they could say was that I had the most bada** mower out there with the best bagging system ever and there really isn't a problem...they pretty much told me that I wasn't having a problem even though they never actually saw how the thing performed.

Glad to hear that you got it worked out.

I6pwr
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Being a Trac-Vac owner, I can say this machine will pretty much digest anything I throw into it. Been using Trac Vac for years, I believe they made the units for Sears back in the late 80's.

The main problem is the price..these things for what they cost, should fetch me a drink while i'm working.:drinkup:

There is no way I would pay asking price for a new one, especially with their ridiculous prices on parts..how bout $16 for a cheap tailgate latch, or over $200 for an impeller housing.

Their customer service should rival that of Cyclone Rake, which is an excellent unit and I always enjoy speaking with them...if I ever switch sides. :cool:

I have the 880 and I bought it used..again, no chance I would pay full price, maybe half, but $2300 is just absurd.

Now, I will also say that regardless of price, my 880 will be around for a looong time, it's built very well and the frame rivals that of my tractor. Also, the big thing is here you need to match the unit to your mower and what you are going to put in it...bu tthe size of your existing mower is the main factor...you can't get a small unit for a big mower.

I would pretty much only go for the ones with the 8" hose or larger. Dry leaves are fine but wet leaves with sticks can easily clog the smaller hose, plus, the 8&10 HP models use a 6-blade impeller and had excellent airflow/suction.

Also, don't run these motors at part throttle...wide-open when using them, or you will surely have clogged hoses.

I can run my 42" deck, and the 880 (wide-open), and it will only clog if i'm at top speed...about 6 MPH. Mowing speed is fine, slower when the leaves are about 8-10" deep, yes, when they are bunched over the front bumper..I have to go slow but it will ingest about anything.

Wet leaves, you have no choice..go slow since they like to stick to the inside of the hose.

So I will say that I will never buy one new mainly because of the cust service even if I had money falling out of my ears...quality of life is more important and that includes dealing with frustrating calls.

However, because I have one used, paid $450, I don't mind an occasional part and it will last many, many years.

Trac Vac is a great unit, price is not competitive, buying new it would be a Cyclone Rake, PECO is not as well built IMO but is nice..pricey, DR is a great unit also.

Just some opinions that's all.