PDA

View Full Version : Leaf loader intake hose.. ideal length?

Lawn-Scapes
10-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I bought a used leaf loader and it needs a new intake hose. 10' seems to be standard length but never having used a loader before... I'd like to know what you all think. Is 10' enough? 12 better? 14? Thanks!

stan the man
10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
i have 10ft and that ok to me

shovelracer
10-29-2010, 09:50 PM
The longer the better IMO. We run 20 ft and could use another 5 from time to time. Mounting height has a lot to do with it. We can pull from 15 ft away easy. Takes less man power to get the large piles done. No we don't see a loss of power, but our unit intake is slightly smaller than similar units with the same HP and fan size. Our tube is also smooth inside so less friction loss as well. Let me put it this way, the other day I watched a 10lb softball size rock enter the tube and it almost made it to the fan. Felt it drop when the rpm went down.

M&S_Lawncare
10-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Our hose is around 10' also I wish it was longer so we dont have to keep pulling the truck forward or pulling the leaves back to the hose !!!!

STIHL GUY
10-30-2010, 01:01 AM
a longer hose would make it much easier

White Gardens
10-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Regardless of how much hose you have, having an assist such as a rod with a bungy around the hose will help with the overall weight of the hose.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
I bought a new hose this year and went with 12'........glad I did......makes a big difference especially since I am solo most the time...

Mowbizz
10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I think my hose is the standard 10 feet...what I do most of the time is lay the hose on the ground and rake the leaves to it...works much faster than trying to use it like a vacuum cleaner on a carpet...less work too.... A nice wide rake makes it easy to keep feeding that sucker...I can face the inlet of the hose in different directions to "point" it at another part of the leaf pile. I work solo.