PDA

View Full Version : Principles of Turfgrass Management

Hard Worker
10-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone who has completed this course offered through Planet would you give me some feedback? Curriculum thorough enough? Worth the time and money? Testing difficult? Any thoughts or suggestions would help. Looking for a teaching tool for employees & possibly myself.

MacLawnCo
10-30-2010, 02:24 PM
starting working through it, thinking like you, that it would be a great tool for employees (and I wanted more letters behind my name). I didnt even finish reading the materials. They are way too in-depth, especially for a brand spanking new employee. Id recommend the materials regardless, but be prepared to have your Phd when you finish the course.

Hard Worker
10-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the reply, any others out there?

Greenie
10-31-2010, 07:17 AM
I purchased the course, read it cover to cover and intended to go back and read it chapter by chapter, slowly with the intention of testing. I did go back and study it more carefully but never arranged for the test. It's good material, very detailed, but like gym memberships, it takes time and self motivation to stick to the testing and get the certificate of completion.

Hard Worker
10-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Has anyone took the test and completed the course?

cgaengineer
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
That's pretty cool, its put on by UGA.

JWTurfguy
11-01-2010, 08:46 AM
I went through the whole thing, took the test and passed and am glad I did it.

Not only will you learn alot, but the textbook makes for a great reference source later on.

txgrassguy
11-01-2010, 09:37 AM
There is nothing wrong with buttressing professional knowledge with course attendance.
Regarding this particular course I have no direct knowledge, however I applaud your interest in becoming more informed.
I have several degrees one of which is in Turfgrass Agronomy with about ten hours left on my Masters. What I have found with clients, especially the high end residential/estate management clients I have under contract, is more knowledge translates into more in-depth relationships with these types of clients which in turn translates into more money you may charge for services as the the clients feel your professional knowledge equates to the higher fee structure.

Ric
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with buttressing professional knowledge with course attendance.
Regarding this particular course I have no direct knowledge, however I applaud your interest in becoming more informed.
I have several degrees one of which is in Turfgrass Agronomy with about ten hours left on my Masters. What I have found with clients, especially the high end residential/estate management clients I have under contract, is more knowledge translates into more in-depth relationships with these types of clients which in turn translates into more money you may charge for services as the the clients feel your professional knowledge equates to the higher fee structure.

Steve

It was a Clerk in my local Circle K that talked me into attending a Plant ID Class at the local Voc Tech. That girl changed my life and I don't remember her name. I am still friends with the Voc Tech Instructor who gave the desire to go on and get my AS and BS degrees.

I agree upscale customers are educated people and appreciate dealing with educated people. This month's upscale HOA Newsletter (BTW timed just right for Snow Bird Return) has an article about irrigation and the value of top dressing with Compost to retain both water and fertilizer. By yours truly. Of course I have it edited by a English major because I know my weakness. But I am an EDUMACKATED YARD BOY thank you.

txgrassguy
11-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Ric, I haven't gotten around to the newsletter thing yet - and probably won't.

Still assembling the requested info for the due diligence on the buyout offer/process but things are looking okay for now.

Ric
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Ric, I haven't gotten around to the newsletter thing yet - and probably won't.

Still assembling the requested info for the due diligence on the buyout offer/process but things are looking okay for now.

Steve

Glad to hear your deal is going good. I remember discussing it with you a couple of months ago. Things don't always go as quick as we like.