PDA

View Full Version : Final round !!

lawn king
10-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Starting round 5 next week, it's getting cold here so the timing is good. I'm going to make a list as i go of accounts that will require some spring seeding to bring them back up to par, still waiting for some local water bans to end. Im pleased with the results of our fall seedings and many lawns have emerged from this summer (from hell) in better shape than i expected! Companys that gambled and used cheap chemicals crashed & burned in S E massachusetts!

humble1
10-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Starting round 5 next week, it's getting cold here so the timing is good. I'm going to make a list as i go of accounts that will require some spring seeding to bring them back up to par, still waiting for some local water bans to end. Im pleased with the results of our fall seedings and many lawns have emerged from this summer (from hell) in better shape than i expected! Companys that gambled and used cheap chemicals crashed & burned in S E massachusetts!

I am about 7 days from putting down lime, leaves drop early screwed me hard
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-30-2010, 02:24 PM
King...you have that Cub ride on, right?

What is the going price on that thing?
What are the drawbacks you see from it, after using it for a while?
What are some advantages (besides cost)?

I am debating this machine. If it is still in the $3,500 price range new, I could get a brand new machine for what I would spend for a 5 year old, half beat Magnum.

lawn king
10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
The XP has worked out great for me, the weed wand set up sucks and the fuel tank is small, aside from that its a great little unit for short money! I think i paid $3800. with tax. I would and probably will buy another. I was hoping the new lawn solutions spreader/sprayer would fit right into my operation, but it does not articulate, its a ZT, no thankx!

CHARLES CUE
10-30-2010, 08:29 PM
The XP has worked out great for me, the weed wand set up sucks and the fuel tank is small, aside from that its a great little unit for short money! I think i paid $3800. with tax. I would and probably will buy another. I was hoping the new lawn solutions spreader/sprayer would fit right into my operation, but it does not articulate, its a ZT, no thankx!

May i ask why a ride on has to articulate for you to be intersested.

Charles Cue

lawn king
10-31-2010, 01:14 AM
A z will not hold a slope like a fixed axle machine. The xp and hps machines can handle grades that no other spreader/sprayer can. I prefer the smooth operation of an articulating machine, but im old school. i could use a vicon on my tractor, but i use a rotary sitrex, again, old school.

CHARLES CUE
10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
A z will not hold a slope like a fixed axle machine. The xp and hps machines can handle grades that no other spreader/sprayer can. I prefer the smooth operation of an articulating machine, but im old school. i could use a vicon on my tractor, but i use a rotary sitrex, again, old school.

I looked at them at GIE show and they are wide and low to the ground .

Around here you never turn a articulating on a slop up hill they fall over. But i am talking about a skidder or a loader. Good luck with your xp.

Charles Cue

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks King - I may just look into the XP.
May I ask, what spray tips were you running and how is the machine on driftables?

lawn king
11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I have the factory Tjets on, the drift is bad in strong winds, very bad!

Young Bros
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Finishing round 4 this week & starting round 5. Usually we are finishing round 5 this time of year (damn weather!). We still have a round 6 after that. I hope it does not snow early. Have not left $ on the table yet.

indyturf
11-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Finishing round 4 this week & starting round 5. Usually we are finishing round 5 this time of year (damn weather!). We still have a round 6 after that. I hope it does not snow early. Have not left $ on the table yet.

Wow!! look on the bright side, you can wish your customers a Happy New Year when you do their last app... lol I'm running behind too because of the heat/drought we had this year. just started rd 6 today and should be finished the 1st week of Dec. Good luck getting everything finished up. it sucks to leave $$ on the table!

garydale
11-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Half through R-6 (our winterizer)
Still have 200+/- Limes (R-4) that didn't get finished this summer
Leaves as always aproblem!

Young Bros
11-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Our round 4 was over 6 million sq ft. Round 5 only 1.2 million. Round 6 only 800,000 sq ft. I will be pushing some apps to 3 1/2 weeks. Round 6 will be done around Thanksgiving or 1st week of Dec. Still have a lot of Gypsum applications we didnt have time to get done earlier. Same with some core/seeding, going to try dormant seedings this year. Oh & soil tests. Busy busy.
:)

lawn king
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
From mid twentys the top of the week to a forecast of near seventy next week, you gotta love newengland?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Young - I'd hate to leave $ on the table, but if you are fighting snowfall to get in one more app, what would your customers think seeing you spread in the snow?
Might have to leave a little $$ on the table to save face?? Thats a tough one.

JD2320
11-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Our round 4 was over 6 million sq ft. Round 5 only 1.2 million. Round 6 only 800,000 sq ft. I will be pushing some apps to 3 1/2 weeks. Round 6 will be done around Thanksgiving or 1st week of Dec. Still have a lot of Gypsum applications we didnt have time to get done earlier. Same with some core/seeding, going to try dormant seedings this year. Oh & soil tests. Busy busy.
:)

No offense but if you're that far behind maybe you need some helpers. The weather should not put you that far behind.

Is there another reason you're so far behind?

Young Bros
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
No offense but if you're that far behind maybe you need some helpers. The weather should not put you that far behind.

Is there another reason you're so far behind?

Just rain, wind (all season), & breakdowns. Hired a part time guy, just about caught up. Today the bleeder bolt came out of the '99. Fuel everywhere.
:dizzy:

JD2320
11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Just rain, wind (all season), & breakdowns. Hired a part time guy, just about caught up. Today the bleeder bolt came out of the '99. Fuel everywhere.
:dizzy:

Fire the nOOb and hire a part time Genie. You need a couple wishes!

James Cormier
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Did you finish?

I did my last 4 lawns today..boy was it cold!!

It was a tough year in central ma as well. Thank god for no snow November

humble1
12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Done with all of my accounts very end of Nov now I will hunt ducks into Jan, new boat now some much deserved down time.
Posted via Mobile Device

garydale
12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Still have aboutt 75 appl. left.
mostly lime and R-6.
Very cold here.

ted putnam
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Still have aboutt 75 appl. left.
mostly lime and R-6.
Very cold here.

Same here. 60 Limes left to do and it's colder than a well diggers azz. 20 at dawn and not hitting 32 until almost mid day.On the bright side, it should help with our overwhelming insect population next year.

grass4gas
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I've got around 25 lime apps to do. I figure 5 to 10 will still have leaves on them. It has been cold and windy yesterday and today, with more of the same the next 2 days. Tough to do clean ups with 35 mph winds. Maybe some rain late friday, better chance on Sunday.

I also have about 6 or 7 final clean ups to do next week. Hope to be done by the end of next week.

Young Bros
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
We left a lot of $ on the table. Too much snow to finish. I hope next year has less wind & rain.

scotts lawn care
12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Did you finish?

I did my last 4 lawns today..boy was it cold!!

It was a tough year in central ma as well. Thank god for no snow November

Im going to work all of next week and that will do it, i picked up a day of tractor service, rotary cutting hay fields in north scitiuate and i have approximately 45 dormant resies that are getting final clean ups this week. Should be a done deal by 12 18.