PDA

View Full Version : A stander w/ a way to do leaves

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
10-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Been considering a new stander but need this machine to do double duty in the fall. Anyone know of any stander that can do it it all or or these machines just for cutting grass? I'm using a Toro w/b w/ a trac vac mounted on the deck w/ a 44 gal. can.

grassman177
10-30-2010, 08:54 AM
i dont like bagging with my standers(wright) as there is too much blowout up front.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
10-30-2010, 09:06 AM
yeah, alittle blow out, i've found w/ heavy leaf loads it's best to pre-mulch

Lawn Pawn
10-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I use my Wright 36 fixed deck with a Gobbler for small lawns and quick pick-ups. I'm VERY happy with how it picks up DRY material.... even pine needles.

Down-side is it's VERY limited capacity. I would not want to be without it for the quick pick-me-ups! For the heavy duty work I have a 445 AWS John Deere with a three bag Power-Flo.

flatlander42
10-30-2010, 10:31 AM
have this guy make you one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=303084

topsites
10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Obviously you need a Leaf Stander, go talk to your dealer.

yeah, alittle blow out, i've found w/ heavy leaf loads it's best to pre-mulch

Pre-mulching...
Is that anything like pre-cutting, pre-driving or pre-fueling?
Personally I like pre-showering the best, although pre-crapping takes a close second.

Next thing you know we'll be...
Hey wait!
I get it!

Next time I walk up to a girl, I'll just plant a kiss right smack on there, nice as can be, out of the blue and all.
Then before she smacks me I say "WAIT, I was just pre-kissing."

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
10-30-2010, 11:40 AM
lil early to be drinkin Topsites, wait, no it ain't. Pre-mulching as in running over the big fat fluffy leasves (open chute) then sucking thru the trac-vac, thusly, mulchin them again. Doubling the barrel capacity.

topsites
10-30-2010, 12:48 PM
lil early to be drinkin Topsites, wait, no it ain't. Pre-mulching as in running over the big fat fluffy leasves (open chute) then sucking thru the trac-vac, thusly, mulchin them again. Doubling the barrel capacity.

So the first time over you weren't really mulching them?

It's all good, I use the pre expression myself but just felt the need to expose it for the silly expression that it is.

jbell36
10-30-2010, 01:20 PM
i would convert the trac vac that is on your walk behind to your stander...we are doing the same thing at this very moment, called trac vac and it's going to cost 500 to get the stuff i need to do it

MnLefty
10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Get one of these...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203570&stc=1&d=1288488176

flatlander42
10-31-2010, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=MnLefty;3773895]Get one of these...

QUOTE]

The video on that website don't work. Is there another link?

demhustler
10-31-2010, 12:47 PM
wouldn't be mount on caster wheel frame make more sense? (or use existing caster sulky for mount frame... easy one-man on/off, no counterweights, etc ...

MnLefty
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
The video on that website don't work. Is there another link?

The guy who built it does have some other videos, but hasn't been able to devote the time to the website yet... He's an LCO himself with 22 years in the business, and has been working on this design for 6 years or so, since he got his first WS. I will be shooting a bit of video when our units go into operation this week.

wouldn't be mount on caster wheel frame make more sense? (or use existing caster sulky for mount frame... easy one-man on/off, no counterweights, etc ...

If you look in my first picture, the black mounts go to the existing caster mounts and the hopper slides into the mounts. The blower/boot also attaches similar to a side bagger so it's a simple pull the pin and take it off. The guy who built it is about 130lbs and he took it off by himself in under a minute.

He does have weights that mount no drill to the brackets of the front casters, but he has not been using them. It looks like it would be unbalanced, but it has not been an issue.

The bar rising above the hopper is the back "latch"... pull it up out of the holes, pull back toward the machine and the entire back of the hopper hinges open and everything dumps freely... all done by the operator from the platform.

The nice thing about it is there are really no moving/wear parts. There is no impeller, the blower just forces the side discharge up the chute.

When I demo'ed, we put it side by side and it outperformed our Walkers. A cleaner finish and obviously a quicker more efficient mower. After a half hour I ordered 2 without hesitation.

shooterm
10-31-2010, 02:39 PM
I guess I've never run a stander but it looks like a pinch point standing between the bagger and stander.

yardmanlee
10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
if you have a leaf loader for the truck. make a leaf plow for the stander

Martinson9
10-31-2010, 07:08 PM
if you have a leaf loader for the truck. make a leaf plow for the stander

I like the leaf plow idea. However, for those of us that have to pay to dump it's better if they can be mulched first. We have a 22 cubic yard leaf trailer. One time we did 3 yards without mulching or bagging (with a Z) and filled it up. If we mulch first, then bag with a Z we can usually go all day and do 10 plus lawns. Takes about the same amount of time and saves a ton of money

This year we did such a good job of ongoing leaf mulching that our final cleanups will be done with a Grass Gobbler and Leaf Gobbler. We probably won't use the Z's with DFS baggers much.

yardmanlee
10-31-2010, 09:36 PM
find some local farmers in the area, I have about 3 or 4 that I take too when I get all that I need, plus ask some of the nurseries that sell or make their own compost

Puddle of Oil
11-01-2010, 12:43 AM
or if you want something bigger...................http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199631&highlight=stander+cyclone+rake

MOW ED
11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow that stander outfit is something else. Can you take the EB8000 off and use it for leaf cleans or is it solidly mounted? I can hear that thing now, it must be one loud SOB with 2 motors screaming but with the cfm flowing thru that bp I can see how it can almost pull a vacuum. Interesting design.

MnLefty
11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
The blower is mounted to the plate/bracket pretty securely. After you pull the discharge chute you can take the blower/bracket/deck boot off as one piece.

The cost of another blower is worth it compared to the hassle of removing the blower from the mount, re-attaching the control arm, etc...

It's loud for the operator, but in the grand scheme of things it's not terrible to be around, no different than a two or three man crews with blowers singing near a guy on a mower.

The designer told me he used it for spring cleanups with a JRCO rake on the front and in dry grass with no leaves he had good pickup without the blower. My guys are dying to get these out in use. Hard to say for sure because he hasn't even measured the hopper, but it clearly holds more than the 9.5 box on a Walker, maybe more like 12-13?

It not only outperformed our Walkers side by side, it picked up a healthy share of the really fine grindings that the Walker left behind. Our plan of action will be to mulch 1x ahead of these with another machine then pickup with this to reduce volume. When I demo'ed we ran on some SERIOUS leaves... a double cut left it virtually perfect, but it obviously filled up quick.

flatlander42
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
How big of a hose is that? Looks like 8"+.

Craig3
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
The blower is mounted to the plate/bracket pretty securely. After you pull the discharge chute you can take the blower/bracket/deck boot off as one piece.

The cost of another blower is worth it compared to the hassle of removing the blower from the mount, re-attaching the control arm, etc...

It's loud for the operator, but in the grand scheme of things it's not terrible to be around, no different than a two or three man crews with blowers singing near a guy on a mower.

The designer told me he used it for spring cleanups with a JRCO rake on the front and in dry grass with no leaves he had good pickup without the blower. My guys are dying to get these out in use. Hard to say for sure because he hasn't even measured the hopper, but it clearly holds more than the 9.5 box on a Walker, maybe more like 12-13?

It not only outperformed our Walkers side by side, it picked up a healthy share of the really fine grindings that the Walker left behind. Our plan of action will be to mulch 1x ahead of these with another machine then pickup with this to reduce volume. When I demo'ed we ran on some SERIOUS leaves... a double cut left it virtually perfect, but it obviously filled up quick.

do you guys have mulch kits on your standers? I'm just using a mulch plate atm and have quite a bit of blowout...do the mulch kits lower that any?

Martinson9
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
do you guys have mulch kits on your standers? I'm just using a mulch plate atm and have quite a bit of blowout...do the mulch kits lower that any?

I can't speak specifically of the Wright's. However, we have Toro Grandstand's and the mulch kits work great. We took them off for final cleanups and I noticed quite a bit of blow by on the front right when we had filled up a Grass Gobbler and were mulching that way.

We have very little, if any, blow by with a mulch kit.

unit28
11-01-2010, 11:15 PM
That's a beast!
As many large properties as I do in
Minnesota this is an ideal set up.

I could se where I would use the mower to windrow leaves, and come back with the CR and be gone quicker.
Use double g's to mulch and then throw on the CR.

I run an attached box as well that gets way heavy and hits stuff on the curves if not careful. But with a test run, it was easy to see how to get passed that. If any thing else, see about regular hydro fluid changes as it will cause the fluid to get hot and degrade, cavitate and lead to some serious failures.

you'd be hard pressed to see it get any better than this one, as i don't see how it could.

Next spring I want to see it with a dethatcher up front.....:clapping:

Good luck with it.

integrityman
11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
OK- keep life simple for yourself. Buy a mulch kit and double cut. Grind til you can't find. I have a Toro 40" w/b with the mulch kit and the mulch blades and it works GREAT.

Lawn Pawn
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
OK- keep life simple for yourself. Buy a mulch kit and double cut. Grind til you can't find. I have a Toro 40" w/b with the mulch kit and the mulch blades and it works GREAT.

Personally...... I try to "read" the client as to what would make them happy for the least amount of work.
Translation.... Best value for their money.

Yes, I do talk people out of bagging, in favor of mulching being more cost effective, and many times better for their lawn. It takes some seat-of the-pants experience for me to know how much time to mulch a lawn. Changes day to day for the same lawn, do not give a price for more than a day ahead for Fall clean-ups.

Guess what I'm saying is.. bagging or mulching can be just a judgement call as to the best value. I have a machine for each and just want to make the client happy for the least amount of work.

Yes... Many times I do leave money on the table being this honest with people... and I'm OK with that.
Kinda got off topic a bit.

BrunoT
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Just found this thread. Some of you guys are really innovative. I love this setup with the towed lawn vac as well as the custom-built stand-on bagger using the backpack blower. You could fit two standers on a trailer with setups this short. One to mulch the leaves and a second to suck up what's left over.

peahlybros.
02-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Check out my post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=329139 .... We built a custom Tracvac mount for our dane. Works awesome.

LawnGuy73
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
That's a beast!
As many large properties as I do in
Minnesota this is an ideal set up.

I could se where I would use the mower to windrow leaves, and come back with the CR and be gone quicker.
Use double g's to mulch and then throw on the CR.

I run an attached box as well that gets way heavy and hits stuff on the curves if not careful. But with a test run, it was easy to see how to get passed that. If any thing else, see about regular hydro fluid changes as it will cause the fluid to get hot and degrade, cavitate and lead to some serious failures.

you'd be hard pressed to see it get any better than this one, as i don't see how it could.

Next spring I want to see it with a dethatcher up front.....:clapping:

Good luck with it.

That is awesome Unit, hell of a nice set up!

grassgobblerslawncare
03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Get one of these...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203570&stc=1&d=1288488176

that has to be the most messed up set up ive ever seen y not just get the right mower for the job!

Puddle of Oil
03-03-2011, 11:39 PM
that has to be the most messed up set up ive ever seen y not just get the right mower for the job!

because some people cant afford a 10k Z, they dont have the trailer big enough for one and there yards are too big for a giant mower.

eco.lawns
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM
How much is that piggyback-vac, I checked the website but didnt see any prices. Can it be used on a toro grandstand?

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
03-04-2011, 01:09 AM

I was thinking the same exact thing like I love the Standers but aside from mowing I dont understand why people go through so much effort with them

Badboy has a nice clamshell style leaf catcher might consider buying it and the mower this fall if the moneys right:cool2::weightlifter:

MnLefty
03-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Well please enlighten me... what is the right mower for MY job?

The simple fact is the standers are by far our best option for daily mowing during our main season, given the properties we're on. We do not bag clippings, except for a small handful of lawns. Spring and fall we need collection systems for maybe a month on each end. The previous owner has also had Walkers in the fleet. I think the Walkers are incredibly expensive both cost wise and maintenance wise to be used almost exclusively as collection systems for us, and they just don't fit our operation as daily mowers. So you tell me what makes more sense for a collection system... A $10,000+ Walker or a $2500 system that can be used with our daily mowers that cleans equally as well and is all but maintenance free?

I don't care what it looks like, it cleaned equal to or better than our Walkers side by side, and it will save me money both in initial cost and production time.

LawnGuy73
03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Well please enlighten me... what is the right mower for MY job?

The simple fact is the standers are by far our best option for daily mowing during our main season, given the properties we're on. We do not bag clippings, except for a small handful of lawns. Spring and fall we need collection systems for maybe a month on each end. The previous owner has also had Walkers in the fleet. I think the Walkers are incredibly expensive both cost wise and maintenance wise to be used almost exclusively as collection systems for us, and they just don't fit our operation as daily mowers. So you tell me what makes more sense for a collection system... A $10,000+ Walker or a $2500 system that can be used with our daily mowers that cleans equally as well and is all but maintenance free?

I don't care what it looks like, it cleaned equal to or better than our Walkers side by side, and it will save me money both in initial cost and production time.

Amen brother. :clapping: