PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Calculation Spreadsheet

heygrassman
08-18-2002, 05:22 PM
I had made an offer before to provide everyone with the mulch calculation spreadsheet that I use. There have been quite a few that have requested it. I have modified this by eliminating my costing and pricing model and included a calc to include bags.

Using the spreadsheet is easy.

1) Measure your beds and note if they are circular, rectangular, or triangles. Sorry not getiing into liver shaped, etc, you are going to have to assume they are rectangular, etc.

2) Plug in the footages based on the shape :
Rectangle - length and width
Circle - Radius (measurement from center to edge)
Triangle base and height

3) Enter the desired depth of mulch
1in for top dress
4 in for new beds
etc

4) Flip to the total calc page to see how many bags or cubic feet. The model calcs the cubic footage, rounds up for loose materials and calcs 2 cubic foot bags.

Hope this helps.. if anyone finds any errors in the calcs let me know and I can fix them.

jf

Big Mow
08-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the tip HEYGRASSMAN. Sometimes out on the job, I forget some of the math I learned in school.

If your going to be sitting at the computor and figuring out a job...try this site for mulch calculations:

http://www2.yardiac.com/list_categories.asp?id=374&mode=test&tgs=480650:42988404&cart_id=

hoagie
08-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Something to remember when you're out on site w/ no computer handy and need a rough estimate...

One yard of mulch will cover 100 sq/ft spread @ 3". 200sq/ft @ 1.5" ect...

And if your a little obsessive about exact numbers like me... total area divided by 27, multiplied by the number of inches divided by 12, equals the number of cubic yards + 15% additional material to compensate for compaction.

Which is A/27 x N/12 = cu yd + Comp.

Or just use Heygrassmans spread sheet. :)

heygrassman
08-25-2002, 07:57 PM
The ultimate goal of this was for it to be.. loaded into PDA that supports Excel and be used onsite..please pass along any errors that are found I can fix them pretty readily..

jf

GarPA
08-27-2002, 12:38 AM
heygrassman....do you find this works for estimating topsoil for raised beds?? I've used the 115sq ft rule for soil and it seems that the soil doesn't go as far as the mulch

bob
08-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Okay, here's my 2 cents, http://members.aol.com/MonT714/convrsns/

thfireman
09-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Good Stuff!

I put the excel spreed sheet in my PDA and gave it a trial run today. Works like a champ. I used the computation and only had 2 shovel fulls extra. No Waste!! Great lil spreedsheet.

Thank you!:D

heygrassman
09-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Kitzy.. I have not tried it with top soil but the theory should hold the same, unless you are buying by the bag. I buy my soil by the cubic yard and from there it is a volume calc converted from yards to feet, which is exactly what the sheet does. I use the average bed height. 10'x10' New round bed with a 8" peak would have a radius of 5' and a depth of 4" (average of 0" and 8"). Let me know if that works.. I have a top soil job this week that i am going to give it a try...

Fireman.. glad I could help..

jf