PDA

View Full Version : changing program for next yr.

teejet
10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Rd. 1 1/4 lb. N, 1/3 lb. K, barricade, iron

Rd. 2 3/4 lb. UMAXX, 1/2 lb. SOP, barricade, iron, blanket spray

Rd. 3 spot spray summer weeds/ sedge(2 visits 3weeks apart)

Rd. 4 3/4 lb. UMAXX, 1/3lb. SOP, iron, blanket spray (non-2,4d)

Rd. 5 1 lb N, blanket spray

I don't want people to have to call me about sedges and crabgrass. I also don't want to have to call them and ask to spray for extra. Want to keep my price per app low, therefore I am thinking charging everyone for just weed control in summer. Most of my accounts are close so I could stop by twice and spot spray. If I am going to backpack weeds in the summer I would like to get paid.

Zoysia lawns will get fert on Rd.3 and lawns with little weeds would also.

teejet
10-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention what I was changing. Rd. 3 was fert and spot spray. Also lowering the nitrogen on first app. , and adding a blanket spray on Rd.4

Does anyone see any problems with this plan? What I am trying to do is reduce spot spraying to only the rd.3. I am close to most of my lawns so I plan on hitting them twice during the summer for cragrass and sedges for the price of one app.

I should have the weed control more then covered. Do you think my fert plan is up to par?

sedge
10-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Rd. 1 1/4 lb. N, 1/3 lb. K, barricade, iron

Rd. 2 3/4 lb. UMAXX, 1/2 lb. SOP, barricade, iron, blanket spray

Rd. 3 spot spray summer weeds/ sedge(2 visits 3weeks apart)

Rd. 4 3/4 lb. UMAXX, 1/3lb. SOP, iron, blanket spray (non-2,4d)

Rd. 5 1 lb N, blanket spray

I don't want people to have to call me about sedges and crabgrass. I also don't want to have to call them and ask to spray for extra. Want to keep my price per app low, therefore I am thinking charging everyone for just weed control in summer. Most of my accounts are close so I could stop by twice and spot spray. If I am going to backpack weeds in the summer I would like to get paid.

Zoysia lawns will get fert on Rd.3 and lawns with little weeds would also.

How many weeks apart?

What are you blanket spraying at each round?

teejet
10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
About 7 weeks apart. I use 3 way w/ quicksilver usually, and for the non-24D I use triclopyr and quicksilver or something similiar.

ant
10-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Teejet; what's your rate of barricade for both applications and cost per M ?
Posted via Mobile Device

teejet
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Max. rate atleast. With the majority on the second app. Cost for barricade is $13 per ac. with a split app. at max. rate.

ant
10-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I think I am switching to barricade from dimension . Always wanted to try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

teejet
10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Sorry,I double checked and that price gives me 1lb. active ingredient. I think the max is 1.5lbs. That would make it $19.5 per acre split.

lush&green
10-31-2010, 07:16 PM
No grub control?

teejet
10-31-2010, 07:28 PM
, Yes I offer grub control when giving an estimate. Less then half take it. Price is same as regular app. I think I have about 15 out of 110 that get grub control.
I use a generic merit cost about 15 per acre.

I am still a little green but how would you spot grub damage this yr. with all the lawns dead from drought?

sedge
10-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Max. rate atleast. With the majority on the second app. Cost for barricade is $13 per ac. with a split app. at max. rate.

I think I am switching to barricade from dimension . Always wanted to try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Broad leaf control on Barricade blows. What was or is your cost on the dimension?

Sorry,I double checked and that price gives me 1lb. active ingredient. I think the max is 1.5lbs. That would make it $19.5 per acre split.

, Yes I offer grub control when giving an estimate. Less then half take it. Price is same as regular app. I think I have about 15 out of 110 that get grub control.

I am still a little green but how would you spot grub damage this yr. with all the lawns dead from drought?

Guys, guys, guys, please use price per K. i don't think you or most every one else here is treating an acre. Just makes it a lot easier.

Harley-D
11-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I have never used barricade but have heard many mixed results. Can't believe the lack of N in last two rounds on cool season. I do about 2/3 my N for the year in the last two apps. 1.5 and 1.5 per k

Pythium
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes I offer grub control when giving an estimate. Less then half take it. Price is same as regular app. I think I have about 15 out of 110 that get grub control.
I use a generic merit cost about 15 per acre

$15 AN ACRE! HOLY SH*T IS THAT CHEAP. That is like $4.30 a bag. I paid 20.50 a bag this season for Imidacloprid with fert and got all giddy at the price I paid. Are you sure your math is right?

Pythium
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejet View Post

Pull the turf up and if pulls up easy and there are grubs beneath it...TADA..grubs.

fl-landscapes
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes I offer grub control when giving an estimate. Less then half take it. Price is same as regular app. I think I have about 15 out of 110 that get grub control.
I use a generic merit cost about 15 per acre

$15 AN ACRE! HOLY SH*T IS THAT CHEAP. That is like $4.30 a bag. I paid 20.50 a bag this season for Imidacloprid with fert and got all giddy at the price I paid. Are you sure your math is right?

maybe he's not talking about a fert/merit combo and only the imidacloprid generic liquid like dominion.

teejet
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, It is Dominion that I use.

Pythium
11-02-2010, 07:18 AM
I see. My big issue with the liquid is the homeowner not watering it in, in a timely manner.

ted putnam
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I see. My big issue with the liquid is the homeowner not watering it in, in a timely manner.

True. Or thoroughly enough initially. Grubs are not something I have to deal with very often much less provide a preventative for. However, when I do have to treat for them, I never use a liquid for a broadcast subterranean insect control. Of course, imidocloprid is a systemic, so it does reach the roots through absorption.

Also, I agree with sedge. Broadleaf control from prodiamine BLOWS.

RigglePLC
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I prefer to shift the blanket weed control to about midsummer and October. The October treatment eliminates dandelions for the following spring. Spot spray weeds when not doing blanket weed control. Charge extra for sedge.

You can spot grubs by pulling on the sod to see if it comes up easily. Or you can turn over a square foot of sod to check the soil. (or 6 inches square if you are in a hurry.
However, you can slso spot grubs by watching for birds pecking at the soil or watching for the distinctive holes feeding birds make. Blackbirds, starlings, crows. Also watch for skunks, armadillos, racoon feeding damage.

teejet
11-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I've only been at this a couple of years, so I haven't yet made a habit of checking for grub damage. I did find some yesterday, a large area about 60sqft.
The grass came up like blanket and there was alot of little tunnels, fine grub droppings I guess, and still a few grubbs.

cgaengineer
11-04-2010, 07:06 AM
According to UGA, Dimension is not much better, if any than Barricade at preventing broadleafs.

See page 66

http://www.commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgrass/georgiaturf/Publicat/PCRP2010/2010PCRP.pdf

Your best bet is to use barricade/dimension along with simazine.