PDA

View Full Version : bermuda plugs

bug-guy
10-31-2010, 11:07 AM
i know it's not the best time of year, but a friend gave me 70 trays of bermuda plugs hoping for a long fall and an easy winter!! florida anything could happen,(last year we had a freeze by now). any suggestions?

RAlmaroad
10-31-2010, 11:35 AM
More than likely, you are going to be OK. However a little insurance will give you peace of mind. Make sure that you give those plugs a little phosphate and potassium sulfate or nitrate to help with root development. A freeze if mostly cold air moving over a wet surface so a good thick layer of pine straw that you can easily remove in the spring would be nice or a good thick layer of spagnum peat moss that will break down and move into the soil would also be good. Try to water at least once a week twice would be better. We put down St. Augustine almost all year round and this is how I manage it. Never lost too much to freeze untill last winter but these measures prevented widespread loss. Of course it depend on how close you are to the coast. Good Luck

bug-guy
10-31-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks, i watered 2X everyday for 2 weeks 7-10 min (inground sys). i put down a 9-0-24 at plugging and 21-0-0 2 wks later. there is alot of phosphate in the soil here in fla. but i plan on a 8-10-10 this week

Ric
10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Bug Guy

From Florida's Panhandle to the Keys, Florida is a long state and has many climate zones. Here in the center part of South Florida we are having great success with Bermuda Seed. To be quite honest I have never seen Bermuda plugs. I have seen Sprigs, Sod and Seed but never plugs. Is this 419 or some other Hybrid???? Seeding common Bermuda has a limited window of a higher ground temperature for real good germination.

One of the advantages of Bermuda is most Cultivars will go dormant during times of stress and bounce back under favorable conditions.

RAlmaroad
10-31-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks, i watered 2X everyday for 2 weeks 7-10 min (inground sys). i put down a 9-0-24 at plugging and 21-0-0 2 wks later. there is alot of phosphate in the soil here in fla. but i plan on a 8-10-10 this week

Our soil samples always come back without a need for any phosphate. Every sample is the same and has been for the last 5 years. 15-0-15. Seems like a lie. Anyway, I put down some 20-20-20 late fall on existing lawns and even put down some 8-15-36 after about 10 days on the last sod installation. Things look great or best ever. I truly think it was because of the phosphate. That 8-15-36 is a great winterizer with the low Nitrogen. Our St. Augustine does not every go completely dormant and really should have a early December Potassium feed, but I wait. Just adding this for anyone's benefit.

bug-guy
10-31-2010, 02:04 PM
ric To be quite honest I have never seen Bermuda plugs. I have seen Sprigs, Sod and Seed but never plugs. Is this 419 or some other Hybrid????

we have a guy here who grows st aug plugs and my friend talked him into getting a pallet of bermuda for plugs. he did and my 70 trays were the left over not needed by my friend. they are not common, i will get the type next week.

RAlmaroad Our soil samples always come back without a need for any phosphate. Every sample is the same and has been for the last 5 years.

same here. they say we don't need any as most P comes from fla. but it's a great starter fert. we have regs that require low to 0 P, so most fert is 2 or less. alot of us believe that come several yrs down the road there will be a Phostphate deficiency due to these regs. right now they worry about run off and alge blooms in the gulf of mexico and othe bodies of water.

Ric
10-31-2010, 02:44 PM
RAlmaroad

same here. they say we don't need any as most P comes from fla. but it's a great starter fert. we have regs that require low to 0 P, so most fert is 2 or less. alot of us believe that come several yrs down the road there will be a Phostphate deficiency due to these regs. right now they worry about run off and alge blooms in the gulf of mexico and othe bodies of water.

Bug Guy

We have P in our soil But a lot of times it is soil bound and unavailable. In the case of starter plugs I would recommend you apply a regular High P starter fertilizer. You can also apply Acid Forming Fertilizer and break some P lose.

bug-guy
10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
yea, i think i'm going to spray some 20-20-20 with some chelated micro mix

RAlmaroad
10-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Bug Guy

We have P in our soil But a lot of times it is soil bound and unavailable. In the case of starter plugs I would recommend you apply a regular High P starter fertilizer. You can also apply Acid Forming Fertilizer and break some P lose.

Yes, this is so true Ric. I use ammonium sulfate 21-0-0. Even do a low 10-12lb of sulfur/K during May. The soil test are the same 7.1 on some lawns, 7.0 on another; always the same. I now have a Rittenhouse pH meter that I'm going to test against litmus paper. But for the $6/test, those techs are going to set on their can and do token analysis. I finished with them. This year, I'm taking my test and sending them to another independent lab. Any suggestions.
Another analysis (Soil Test) feature is how some micros are still in the soil when they can't possible be there when sand will not hold hardly anything. We overdress regularly with fresh soil because of so much rain or irrigation which breaks down what little we have and within a year white sand is seen.(About 6 weeks ago we had 10" of rain in a single day and it was dry enough to mow the next day) True. I did.
I've been around labs, universities, even done my own test in the early years and now I truly believe that there are some jerks collecting a check for nothing. A lot like ALL politicians.
Anyway,Starter fertilize is good stuff especially for sod and sprigs.

bug-guy
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
i ran into the grower and he told me they are Celebration Bermuda plugs.
sounds good, any input???

joe

Ric
11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
i ran into the grower and he told me they are Celebration Bermuda plugs.
sounds good, any input???

joe

Bug Guy

Bethel Farms is one of the largest if not the largest sod grower in the South. They supply every Home Depot in Warm Season Country. Here is a Link to their Website about Celebration Bermuda. However remember they are trying to sell it so they aren't telling the down side if any.

http://www.bethelfarms.com/turf-celebration.php

bug-guy
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks ric
i was already there. i know of a private school, a golf course and the new high school here have it also
we'll see

joe