PDA

View Full Version : Duramax ???

TNGrassCutter
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I am looking at trading my Silverado 1500 for a 2500 gmc sierra with the duramax diesel and allison trans. How many miles can I expect these motors and trannys to last? it has 150k but looks like it is in very good shape

Moto52
10-31-2010, 06:24 PM
It totally depends on how it was maintained for those 150k, a 2007 duramax just came into my buddys shop with 300,000 miles and it was original..

lawnpropm
11-05-2010, 03:43 AM
There is no telling with proper maint changing filters that kinda thing. Look out for when those injectors go you're looking at $4 K That and your other wear parts have a shorter life span than the engine it self. But I've been told at 150k miles its still not quite broke in
Posted via Mobile Device

djlunchbox
11-05-2010, 07:33 AM
There is no telling with proper maint changing filters that kinda thing. Look out for when those injectors go you're looking at $4 K That and your other wear parts have a shorter life span than the engine it self. But I've been told at 150k miles its still not quite broke in
Posted via Mobile Device

4K??! damn. is that for a new injector pump ( not sure if the 6.6L even has one) or just the injectors? is that labor too?

i ask because i am shopping for a new personal tuck now.

lawnpropm
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
No my friend that's just the injectors with labor at the dealership an injection pump is about$ 2500 installed. I think having a diesel is well worth it as long as its making money for you. They are expensive to work on tho. I wouldn't have anything else love my dmax!
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
11-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I had a friend telling me the other day he knew someone who had the Duramax and they were having injector issues. They start leaking and you see fuel in the oil.

lawnpropm
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Yea u will notice trouble when they going bad. You will either get blue smoke out the tail pipe that's constant or you will catch hell trying to start it. Poor fella just so happen when mine went bad they were on recall I believe. Your truck had to be within a certain year and less than 120k miles I believe. Tell your friend to check with the nearest dealer
Posted via Mobile Device

djlunchbox
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
that is insane! i will make sure whatever d-max i get will be under 120k! lol. anyone know the details on that recall?

lawnpropm
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Not sure exactly I know this.much c I went thru it all the pump wasn't under warranty but the injectors killed the pump. U would be surprised the what the psi need to be on the fuel to crank these trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

mybowtie
11-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Go to thedieselplace.com you will find what yrs had the injector issues. I think..but not sure that it was 05 and older....

westcoh
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
The first gen lb7 duramax had the injector issues, which was 01-03.

mybowtie
11-07-2010, 05:06 PM
The first gen lb7 duramax had the injector issues, which was 01-03.

I knew someone would know....Thanks:drinkup:

lyube
11-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I've been driving an 03 Duramax quad cab Chevy w/ the allison.

Good truck, rides nice. Pulls strong. I'd look for one with under 100k if I could and do a carfax on it.

Picture Perfect Landscape
11-21-2010, 11:50 PM
its the lb7 that had the most injector problems which is 2001-early 2004. LLY 2004.5-2005 also had some injector problems just not as much. The injectors are easy to fix yourself if you have patience, are organized, and have some sort of "mechanical intuition." And assuming its out of warranty you can do injectors for less than 2k. They have extended the warranty on LB7 duramax's to 200,000 miles.

These trucks if maintained will easily go 300k + with no major engine problems, OTHER than injectors. Within that time you will expect to replace them atleast once, but as long as its sub-200k it won't be out of your wallet. I am currently at 210k and my truck runs great. Could use a few new bushings and stuff. And I have had to replace both hub bearings at a little over $100 each. But other than regular maintenance, not many other problems. The duramax/allison is an awesome combo with great power. Add a programmer and if you have never driven a diesel you will be amazed at how will it moves the truck and how well it moves heavy loads.

My .02

Picture Perfect Landscape
11-21-2010, 11:52 PM
to clarify the 200k warranty only applies to injectors. Also, don't freak about injectors, because more times than not it does not leave you stranded. I drove on my for months before I fixed them with NO related issues. As soon as I fixed them everything went back to normal, but the truck was perfectly driveable. Had full power, just smoked, got worse mileage and fuel filled the crankcase.