PDA

View Full Version : the craziness begins...

David Gretzmier
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
has hanging lights for the past 7 weeks gotten us ready for tomorrow? maybe? I would say we are more ready than we have ever been with 4 returning guys from last season. 2 crew foremen are multiple year returners. but the third and fourth crew leaders new leaders this year, and they are on thier 2nd year with us, having helped on crews last year.

I don't know if you can ever truly be ready to split up your guys into seperate crews until you actually do it. the first few days of november stuff always seems to get forgotten and left at shop, tools and magic boxes disappear, etc.

The first few days I try not to book any appointments in the morning until around 11 when the hand holding is usually done on the new guys. after a few days the trucks are usually loaded with everything they might need for the season.

the good news is weather is looking really sweet for the next 10 days, lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's. no rain predicted. hopefully, we should get alot done.

you guys making a big launch tomorrow?

addictedtolandscaping
11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I start hanging if not the end of this week then the beginning of next. All of a sudden finally heard from renewals, about 1000 in add on so far, two estimates scheduled, only 2 renewals left, have reached out twice so far, one more shot and then just keep going.

First round of direct mail hit and phone rang, second is due in 2 weeks, third right behind it. Hoping for 10-20 new clients. More lawn signs going out this weekend.

turf hokie
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
2nd crew was supposed to start today but had a scheduling hiccup and will start them tomorrow.

Really hoping to land a couple of the commercial jobs we have estimated so we can put a 3rd crew out there but that is just wishfull thinking at this point.

Birchwood
11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Started today, two and half rehangs done. Finish last half of the rehang tomorrow and start 2 new one also tomorrow, one of which I sold today 120 Ln ft on 1 story ranch, great! All five jobs are on the same street. We ran 5 guys today including my self. 2 guys are from last year including my ladder/ roof guy, but he is gone at noon. If scheduled right should work well, knock out roofs first, and he is gone. Also 2 new guys working on training one to do ladder work and one a tree guy. My other old guy is great at garlands, I feel comfortable with him drilling and fluffing, makes me wonder what he did in the past.:confused:

After this week I will feel good about leaving the site. The next 2 weeks are full 6 days each, with a mix of new and rehangs, 20 plus jobs, everything sold to this point will be up by Thanksgiving leaving December for a few rehangs, restaurants, and new work.

TexasFire221
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
well really havent been on top of my rehangs like I should have. I have heard back from a few but will need to do some calling tomorrow. Sold about $2000 worth of add-ons so far. Have about $1000 in new sold with the direct mailers doing well so have two appointments on wednesday. We wont start hanging until next week sometime. Door hangers should be here by Friday and yard signs the same. I ordered them late should of had them already. I have a big order made up for HBL but havent ordered yet. mainly c9 cord, jumper cords, add ons, and extension cords. Might wait until after my two appointments on wednesday to see if they sign before I order. So far all is going well.

christmas79
11-04-2010, 10:59 PM
First day doing lights!!! I love it! Started to sleet when doing lights today!

David Gretzmier
11-06-2010, 12:03 AM
we are clicking along, 3 crews running tomorrow, but trying to work everybody late and give everybody sunday off to rest. 84 jobs still need to go up as of the end of today by thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is Nov 25th this year, so we officially have 18 working days left if you do not count this sunday to get those done. we have to average better than 5 per day done to add any new jobs this year. that is a tight schedule even if we get no rain.

lawncarede
11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Holiday Lighting has really become popular over the last few years. I see craigslist ads for it constantly. Seems everyone is starts the first week of November

David Gretzmier
11-07-2010, 11:55 PM
all my competitors do. we start Sept 13. having the trucks running with full graphics sells jobs early.

Don M.
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don M.
11-08-2010, 12:40 AM
A ton of cheap people out there. Im sick of hearing "we did it ourselves last year and it took xxx amount of lights and 2 hours and you want $800".

We'll see how this week goes. I've got several bids to do this week. Maybe get a portfolio book together to show to customers.
Posted via Mobile Device

addictedtolandscaping
11-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Don M you have hit my thoughts on craigslist like a nail on the head.

turf hokie
11-08-2010, 08:04 AM
A ton of cheap people out there. Im sick of hearing "we did it ourselves last year and it took xxx amount of lights and 2 hours and you want $800".

size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size]

My Response:

No offense, but we are not decorating like you or with box store lights, we are taking your display to a whole different level...

Or

Then why did you call me if you did it in 2 hours and it was so easy?

I have more but it depends on how aggravated I get.....

David Gretzmier
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
when folks tell me about a cheaper bid I tell them to hire them. I make it simple, I am the most expensive guy out there because I have the most experience and I know what it costs to run this business. I have the insurance to do this, and I will not scrimp on training my guys when it comes to carefully putting things on a house that can burn it down. The last statement needs to be said with proper emphasis on training. mention amp meters and circuit testers to ensure that no strand or circuit is overloaded. mention the cost of insurance when you have a policy in place to protect the property and the employees that may fall off the roof.

I tell folks to hire the cheaper guy, but let them know there is a reason why they are cheap, the homowner's risk is much higher with guys who don't know what they are doing.