PDA

View Full Version : snow removal for foreclosed and vacant homes

ROC lawn and landscapes
11-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Hey guys and gals. As the winter months are approaching I got to thinking about offering snow removal to foreclosed and vacant homes. Last friday I went around to some real estate companies offering my services to them and didnt feel like I got the best vibe. Should I be going around to banks and asking or do any of you have a great ideas that I could try? Thanks for any help!

Craig3
11-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Hey guys and gals. As the winter months are approaching I got to thinking about offering snow removal to foreclosed and vacant homes. Last friday I went around to some real estate companies offering my services to them and didnt feel like I got the best vibe. Should I be going around to banks and asking or do any of you have a great ideas that I could try? Thanks for any help!

maybe it's because we don't get that much snow here....but I guess I don't understand why they would pay someone to remove the snow @ a place no one lives.

topsites
11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
I found the worst advertising is to go out there and actively solicit my services,
even when I'm dead on target, unless it's a regular customer of mine and even then
it doesn't always go over well.

Like door-to-door salesmen, know anybody who wants that?

That's not to say there don't exist effective ways to advertise, but I thought I'd mention the above as my experience.

MarcSmith
11-01-2010, 07:55 AM
.but I guess I don't understand why they would pay someone to remove the snow @ a place no one lives.

Craig that would be my thought as well....if there is that much snow on the ground. agents are not real busy showing houses. and more likley the bank is already upside down on the house so the last thing they want to do is spend even more money to maintain it...

now in some cases the are city/town ordinance that require snow to be cleared from sidewalks 24 hours after the last flake falls. so that might be an option.

poncho62
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
What I would do is send a letter to these agents.....When they need to show a home, you can make sure it is accessible and presentable......But, that could screw up your schedule too.

Wayne 55
11-01-2010, 08:44 AM
What you are talking about doing here is taking a huge risk. The house is in foreclosure which means simply there is no money. Going to the banks is going to be a time consuming task as many of the mortgages have been sold many times and the lenders might not even be local to your community. The real estate companies have no right to contract plowing adding to the bills of the forclosed property. If the banks do agree for plowing you will be on the bottom of the list for payment after the sale or auction. Payment then would be nothing more than a crap shoot. Why risk it.

txgrassguy
11-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Personally, I shy away from any sort of work on foreclosed or vacant homes.
In the past I have completed significant work at these properties for banks, work such as irrigation installation completion, tree trimming/removal, landscape planting and with the exception of one bank at one property payment has been a real problem.
Plus I seriously loath real estate agent's tactics of attempting to strong arm me for work at the lowest possible pricing while taking 60 + days to pay.
Poncho has a good idea but unless you can arrange for payment up-front or get a signed contract that stipulates payment with-in ten days or late fees, etc applies - personally I wouldn't do it.

afd226
11-04-2010, 03:54 AM
You can make good money by cleaning up property for banks and mort. co. Not only cleaning up the outside but hauling the trash left inside also. Makes a good rainy day project and the banks like dealing with one company they can count on.

ROC lawn and landscapes
11-07-2010, 12:12 AM
You can make good money by cleaning up property for banks and mort. co. Not only cleaning up the outside but hauling the trash left inside also. Makes a good rainy day project and the banks like dealing with one company they can count on.

Who would I need to talk to at the banks (what department) to get my foot in the door? thanks for the post.

ROC lawn and landscapes
11-07-2010, 12:16 AM
now in some cases the are city/town ordinance that require snow to be cleared from sidewalks 24 hours after the last flake falls. so that might be an option.

Exactly... There is a demand for it... yah payment may be a little on the slow side but how would a bank or realtor get away without paying?:nono:

DitchDr
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
We dont get snow down here, but I deal a lot with real estate agents on a daily basis. I make it known payment is due with in 10 days. Some will try to wait until the property sells, but we wont do business with them. They do not want a bad name with the housing market being what it is, so usualy they pay pretty prompt.

stan the man
11-07-2010, 09:11 AM
i do mowing and plowing for a Realtor very slow paying. started out mowing her house lawn. but i don't have to rush plowing the driveways. i all so do the snow racking roofs for her. she give me a lot of work.

freshprince94
11-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I know around here, the banks only pay to have the lawns cut once a month at most...based on my experience with banks and realtors, I don't think they really care about snow. Just another thing for them to pay for.

Darryl G
11-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow...any time I mention snow the thread gets closed by a moderator after a note to bring all such discussions over to plowsite.com

944own
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
This would fall under what I mainly do for income and it is called property preservation. The thing about it is the bank is only gonna do things to the property that the city could complain about (cutting grass, removing debris, securing houses, trimming bushes, ect.) where I live we dont get much snow so not sure about the snow removal but if it is something the city would get on them about you may be onto something. google field service companies and give some a call ask about your area they could tell you right off if you should give up. hope this helps

JDKSERVLLC
11-08-2010, 08:52 AM

ROC, If I can give you some advice, don't waste your time trying to get into this market, focus your time promoting your company and building your client base for the services you provide. My company was in this business for a number of years and we finally got fed up with the crap from the clients and stopped taking work. There really is no money to be made in this business unless you’re the banks client. It's a pyramid payment structure and by the time the sub-contractor gets paid, it's whatever is left after everyone takes there cut. Plus, you need to have 2 mill in liability ins plus E&O ins if you plan to perform other services in the business like trash-outs, clean-for-sales PCR’s and so on. Save yourself the headaches and stay out of this cut-throat business.