PDA

View Full Version : Ford LCF vs Isuzu NPR

f50lvr2
11-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Hi all, I'm looking to switch to a diesel cab over style truck for next year and was wondering if anybody had any insight into the Ford LCF and/or the Isuzu NPR. I can't seem to find much info on the Ford but I've seen a few for sale and they seem to be less expensive than for a comparable NPR.

I'm hoping to go with a 10-12' staked flat bed or dump bed hopefully 2005 or newer. Any user experience would be greatly appreciated regarding either model including; mpg, durability, parts availability, maintenance, running costs, etc.

Thanks

dbear
11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Well, I don't have any longterm experience with either. Used a little Isuzu (don't recall the model) maybe 12 years ago for a extended weekend; I found it a little lacking in the oomph department, but still very capable, highly maneuverable unit. Isuzu has been a leader, if not the leader, in COE light and medium trucks for quite some time. Chances are you don't get that way by accident. The Ford LCF, which is no longer offered by Ford, was a rebadged International CityStar (http://www.internationaltrucks.com/Trucks/Trucks/Series/CityStar) which also seems to be a well-spec'd, and supported, truck from a highly respected truck manufacturer. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with either.

lawn king
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Isuzu is a time proven truck/diesel. I would be very cautious on buying an iternational light duty diesel. The 6 & 6.4 had some serious issues going? Not sure what the deal is now-days?

hosejockey2002
11-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I would look harder at the Isuzu than the LCF. The Isuzu offers more options- automatic or manual, GVWR from 12K to 19K, a crew cab in some models, even a gas engine if you are so inclined.

Gravel Rat
11-02-2010, 02:54 PM
GMC/Isuzu is a far more proven truck they have been on the market for a lot longer than any other brand besides Hino. If Hino still made cab overs for the North American market it would be my first choice.

The easiest option is GMC Isuzu the next would be a Mitsu other than that I would stay away from International LCF.

wellbuilt
11-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a ford LCF and have not had much trouble with it .(35000 mls)
The truck is heavier then the mets or the isuzu heavy frame breaks front end parts .
I pull 10 /14,000lb trailer with no problems.
The icf is much cheaper then the other 2 trucks .
Ford has been having more luck with there heavy trucks and buses .
John

f50lvr2
11-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a ford LCF and have not had much trouble with it .(35000 mls)
The truck is heavier then the mets or the isuzu heavy frame breaks front end parts .
I pull 10 /14,000lb trailer with no problems.
The icf is much cheaper then the other 2 trucks .
Ford has been having more luck with there heavy trucks and buses .
John

It's nice to hear from someone with actual experience. I've been leaning towards an LCF because as you say they are far cheaper. A comparable NPR in price to the Fords I've seen have double or triple the miles and are much older.

I'm only going to be pulling a smallish (7x14/16) trailer with it but am moving about 30 miles out of town and my gas truck only gets about 11mpg. I was hoping to improve on this with a diesel cab over. In your experience, has the truck been a good investment as far as cost of ownership (mpg, insurance, maintenance, etc.) compared to its capabilities?

BrandonV
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Go over the lcf very carefully. There are a bunch of duds in that run and ford is not standing behind them. We have one and it's constantly overheating, eating though fan belts and all ford can say is "it's within spec.". Other than these problems I love the truck but of the 2 years we've had it (new) it's been in the shop for 2 months.... Ford doesn't see a problem with that.
Posted via Mobile Device

wellbuilt
11-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Brandon's over heating problem is a problem with the lcf but mine has been fine with that .
I slid into a rock at 5MPH and broke my dip stick front bumper and drivers side step bummer the truck was 4 months old .
Then i was having a problem with the battery's dieing ford said . It is in spec no problem .
I figure the truck was sitting on the lot for ever and the battery's froze and where week when i bought it . No big deal
Then the ALT dies 3 days out of warranty 600 bucks latter im back on the road . Im pissed They should have comped me the repair since ive had battery issues since new . No big deal im over it .

The fuel line broke off on the engine block after 1 1/2years The truck us toed and fixed under warranty Thank god

Then the truck was hit in the rear Axel @ 50 mph. bummer .
The rear Axel was bent and i need a new rim & rear spring .
It took 2 weeks to get the parts. bummer .

The next thing was the front tires tore the belts up and came apart with 35000 miles on them .
I think the alignment could be out but i thru new rubber on the front and will keep a eye on them .

I think the problem is with ford not the truck .
The LCF has to be repaired at a heavy truck dealer with the f650s) and up so dealer are limited here .
Parts ? every time i need some thing ford tells me the part is not in this county ? WTF I dont want to hear that . The part comes in a few days ? My truck was 31000 dollars even money trade for my F 350 .
I really liked the limits 4x4 but its only 14500 gvw and 60000 bucks'

I get about 10mpg around town and 15 /16 on the hi-way empty or pulling 10,000lbs
Pulling 14000lbs around town the mileage really drops off to 7/8 mpg may be less ?
I pull a dump trailer @ 3500lbs empty and the truck doesn't even feel it .
I dont think the lcf will give me 200,000 trouble free mils like the F 250 350 did in the past but it should go 100,000 +

30 mils in a dump is kind ofa long and bumpy ride . Ive had guys get sea sick on the hi-way . bring pukkkkk bags.
John

lawn king
11-10-2010, 05:08 AM
2011 will be my 9th year running my npr diesel, very little problems over 75000 miles & i work this truck hard year round!

gasracer
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
If you need HP then get the NQR or FRR version with the 6 cylinder.

f50lvr2
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
So far it sounds like the Fords are cheaper for a reason. I'm still considering a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a dump bed or insert but they're so expensive compared to the cab overs. I know you get more power but I like the idea of having a cab over with a 10-12' bed on the back. Gives me more options and capabilities come leaf season and on landscaping jobs.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled over the winter for an Isuzu.

gasracer
11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
So far it sounds like the Fords are cheaper for a reason. I'm still considering a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a dump bed or insert but they're so expensive compared to the cab overs. I know you get more power but I like the idea of having a cab over with a 10-12' bed on the back. Gives me more options and capabilities come leaf season and on landscaping jobs.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled over the winter for an Isuzu.

Here are some websites to check for trucks.
http://www.trucker.com/Trucks.aspx?make=isuzu
http://www.truckpaper.com/default.asp?GUID=8b7e7fdbe89b4806a616ce48ff40f0eb
http://www.usedtruckstogo.com/home.html
http://www.truckertotrucker.com/trucking/isuzu-trucks.cfm

f50lvr2
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM

There's an FRR for sale near me with a dump bed. I've been struggling to find info on them. What I have found on them they look to have only about 20hp and 20lbft more power. Being a much larger engine I'm guessing the mpg would be considerably worse, but again have no experience on this issue.

gasracer
11-11-2010, 07:27 AM
There's an FRR for sale near me with a dump bed. I've been struggling to find info on them. What I have found on them they look to have only about 20hp and 20lbft more power. Being a much larger engine I'm guessing the mpg would be considerably worse, but again have no experience on this issue.

The 6 cylinder is about 275 hp and the 4 cylinder is 175-190 hp

dbear
11-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Per the 2011 literature, the NQR is the 5.2 four-banger. The entire N-series is only available with the 4 cylinder; the F-series has the 6. If you're looking at used, I don't know what year the change might have occurred.

Also, the F-series lit off their site, despite this being almost 2011 now, is dated 2008, and doesn't mention an FRR model, only FTR, FVR, and FXR. Is the FRR a discontinued, or the new, model?

hosejockey2002
11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Per the 2011 literature, the NQR is the 5.2 four-banger. The entire N-series is only available with the 4 cylinder; the F-series has the 6. If you're looking at used, I don't know what year the change might have occurred.

You may have missed that the N-series 4 cylinder is actually a bigger engine than the Ford V6. It also virtually the same power specs as the Ford V6. I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.

wellbuilt
11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to laugh about .
I did not post that my truck ( LCF) was much better then the Isuzus / mitsu I just said the LCF looked to be heaver built Tires, breaks , front end .
I would have bought a 4x4 mitsu If it wasnt twice the price with less capacity .
As far a the repairs most of them are no fault of the truck.
Its bad luck on my part .
I was just trying to give a fellow poster a some honest feed back .
Excuse me . John

dbear
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
You may have missed that the N-series 4 cylinder is actually a bigger engine than the Ford V6. It also virtually the same power specs as the Ford V6. I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.
Yeah, I hadn't looked too closely at the Ford/Navi specs. Another one I'd seriously consider would be UD (http://www.udtrucksna.com/index.html), especially the 1800 and up, as the specs look pretty good on, and I've heard good things about, those too.

f50lvr2
11-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey everybody, thanks for the input and advice. I finally landed on an '07 Isuzu NPR HD. Automatic/diesel with a 12' landscape dump bed. Basically exactly what I was wanting, even has pw/pl, cruise, ac, and only 27k original miles.

Just got it home late tonight so I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. Just a quick question for NPR owners. On the drive home at 60mph the revs were right at 2500rpm. This seemed pretty high to me and it only got 11mpg (flat ground no real wind). Pressing the overdrive button did nothing. Is that the normal rev range for that or is it not getting into a final overdrive. Other than that everything seems to be in order.

PLS-Tx
11-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey everybody, thanks for the input and advice. I finally landed on an '07 Isuzu NPR HD. Automatic/diesel with a 12' landscape dump bed. Basically exactly what I was wanting, even has pw/pl, cruise, ac, and only 27k original miles.

Just got it home late tonight so I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. Just a quick question for NPR owners. On the drive home at 60mph the revs were right at 2500rpm. This seemed pretty high to me and it only got 11mpg (flat ground no real wind). Pressing the overdrive button did nothing. Is that the normal rev range for that or is it not getting into a final overdrive. Other than that everything seems to be in order.

Good deal, where did you find it. 11mpg empty!!!!!!!!;)

twward
12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Any updates on the truck?

f50lvr2
12-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Haven't done much with it yet because the bank messed up on some of the paper work so I'm still waiting to get it tagged and re-titled.

I've got a temp tag on it for a few more days and will be taking a load of leaves/branches to the dump tomorrow so I'll try to get a few pics of it tomorrow.

Seems to be doing ok so far, even starting in cold weather, although it does seem to take forever for the engine to warm up. Maybe that's a diesel trait, I have only had gas powered cars/trucks until now. Fuel mileage still sucks though and I haven't got used to the bumpy ride yet.

ConstSvcs
12-15-2010, 02:26 AM

Excellent advice :clapping:

f50lvr2
12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Here's a few pics. The truck has been useful but it could definitely use more power and longer gearing, this thing does not like highways and really sucks down the fuel.

f50lvr2
12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
a few more