PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Measuring lots on the Internet???

Ric
11-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Goilawn.com is no longer a free site. I have been ask to bid a Common ground vacant lot Fire Ant Control job. All I have to go on at this point is, it takes 6 hour to mow with a 60" Grass Hopper. If I have to pay $ 3.00 a lot plus $ 10.00 user fee it will be a very expensive Bid cost. I know the Neighborhood and hopefully can get Sq ft off of a Internet Mapping Measuring program.

Pythium
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.findlotsize.com/

I have used this. Works great for what you are looking to do with it.

MarcSmith
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
ya lazy beeotch get off your arse and start walking...

Google earth has a measuring device as well for linear aps. no area calculations.

many hand held GPS receivers will calculate area as well so all you'd have to do is walk the perimeter. or if you have a PG or riding mower. hope on and ride...

Ric
11-01-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.findlotsize.com/

I have used this. Works great for what you are looking to do with it.

Pythium

Thanks it work great both fast and easy. It took me about 10 minutes to Mark off and add up 11 different areas for a total of just under 26 acres. I have been ask to bid Fire Ant Control on this land. Of course on that much land they want a cheap price and I might not make it into the Ball Park because I would rather not bid cheap and lose money. Even with my Boom Sprayer some one is bound to under cut me. But I have to put in a realistic Courtesy bid if I want this management company to every ask me for a bid again.

Google earth has a measuring device as well for linear aps. no area calculations.

many hand held GPS receivers will calculate area as well so all you'd have to do is walk the perimeter. or if you have a PG or riding mower. hope on and ride...

Marc

Talk about the pot calling the Kettle Black. Your Lazy arse hasn't been out of your air conditioned office all summer long except to get a cold beer. You haven't hit a lick at a snake in the past 10 years and you are half my age. Careful or I will Tell everyone on Lawnsite you play with toy RC sail boats like a 12 year old,

cgaengineer
11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Does your county not have a plat database online? Our does and it has an area measuring tool.

sedge
11-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Google does have an area app. Wish Bing maps did, they are closer map views in many localities.

Does your county not have a plat database online? Our does and it has an area measuring tool.

Some have stopped due to privacy issues.

turf hokie
11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
try this one
www.measurefromouterspace.com

Snapper12
11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the other links guys... goilawn is rip off.

Neal Wolbert
11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the other links guys... goilawn is rip off.

Not sure anyone is ripping you off, but no matter which program, just how you would measure anything under trees?

Neal

ted putnam
11-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Not sure anyone is ripping you off, but no matter which program, just how you would measure anything under trees?

Neal

I agree with you Neal. In Rics case it may be OK. However, I got a new customer because he called me for an estimate after receiving an estimate using online calculators from a very large competitor of mine over the phone. Turns out he had 2 huge Willow Oak trees(6ft dia) on the border of his property that he had lanscaped almost out to the drip line with azalea beds. I suppose you can't see these from "outer space". Imagine that! I showed up with a measuring wheel. I measured 19k of "turf area". There calcs were over 5k more than mine. He told me he appreciated my "personal touch", and after a few minutes of conversation, we both had a chuckle after figuring out the reason for the variance in total ft sq of turf.

Ric
11-04-2010, 07:10 AM
I agree with you Neal. In Rics case it may be OK. However, I got a new customer because he called me for an estimate after receiving an estimate using online calculators from a very large competitor of mine over the phone. Turns out he had 2 huge Willow Oak trees(6ft dia) on the border of his property that he had lanscaped almost out to the drip line with azalea beds. I suppose you can't see these from "outer space". Imagine that! I showed up with a measuring wheel. I measured 19k of "turf area". There calcs were over 5k more than mine. He told me he appreciated my "personal touch", and after a few minutes of conversation, we both had a chuckle after figuring out the reason for the variance in total ft sq of turf.

Ted

In Ric's case it was only a back up so it was OK. The Management company called me just yesterday with the measurement they had. The girl said there were 46 Vacant lots that were each + or - a half acre. That is approx 23 acres and I measured very wide and rounded up to 25 Acres off of the link given by Pythium. I will stay with my 25 acre figure for pricing. Here is the actual link I used. Boundaries are, canal to the N.E. Long Road to the N.E. with connecting roads. Wet lands and Harbor to the South.

http://www.findlotsize.com/?a=Grassy+Point+Blvd&c=port+Charlotte&s=FL&submit=Go&st=l1

What I did not do until this morning was Zoom in and get a larger picture of the individual lots. I believe zooming in might be a better measurement. The homes in this Neighborhood are 5 to 10 K of living area. Typical of these upscale HOA they want me to pay them for the privilege of doing their work.

BTW If you pan south from this location across the harbor or river you come to more canal Neighborhood where I do most of my business. These lot have special need being on canals and Z Sprayers don't fit the program. This is upscale Retirement country and Disney land type landscape is not only the norm but expected. As a cook once told me "you got to know your onions" this is not Pasture Grass country. The same retired Farmer who excepted crap up North won't accept it in Florida's Disney Land keep up with the Jones.

turf hokie
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Dont think that all of us use the links provided as our only means of measuring. It is nice to double check, especially in cases like Ric had with commercial properties.

We have done large commercial properties this way and been pretty darn close. We will do a site visit to get a lay of the land, trees, hills etc and measure a few areas, but when talking 20+ acres it is much easier and convenient to be able to measure from the desk.

Again, the idea is not to use this as the only way to measure and not really terribly accurate on small residentials.

Ric
11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Dont think that all of us use the links provided as our only means of measuring. It is nice to double check, especially in cases like Ric had with commercial properties.

We have done large commercial properties this way and been pretty darn close. We will do a site visit to get a lay of the land, trees, hills etc and measure a few areas, but when talking 20+ acres it is much easier and convenient to be able to measure from the desk.

Again, the idea is not to use this as the only way to measure and not really terribly accurate on small residentials.

Turf Hokie

In my case I have been doing work in that Neighborhood for years. My former Company is still mowing the vacant lots that how I got ask to bid Fire Ant Control. But I know the lots and their problem of being too low and staying wet most of the year. The Dry season they are perfect environment for Fire Ants until the high water chases them into the Higher build up lots of the homeowners. We have an all day, maybe two day Rain today and these lots will go under water or have standing water. Of course I had to bid this job at Wages because it is Pasture Grass type work. If I get the Job for wages I keep other companies out of the picture and away from my high paying Homeowner accounts in the same Neighborhood.

ted putnam
11-04-2010, 08:41 AM

Agreed Hokie...and you are spot on. There are some, as in my case that may be trying to do everything with it and it just doesn't always work that way and in some cases like mine, it cost them a $650+/yr customer because it didn't impress the customer. Great tool for large properties that are impractical to hand measure though. JMO

Ric
11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Guys

Yep I had to ask for a Measuring program so that should tell how much I use one. But As several have said these is a perfect way to measure large properties. I think you still have to put an eye ball on an bid just to be sure.

Might sound kind of Dumb But, Here I am putting a Address and a description of a 25 acre bid on the Internet and I haven't even submitted the bid. I think that should tell anyone thinking about bidding against me something. I am locked in because my former employees who bought me out, already have this as part of a larger contract. They used to work for me and now I work for them.

Kevin M.
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Ric

I have one question and one statement :

What product would you use on these open lots since we have tons of developments here in my area that have open spaces since the real estate market went in the tank ?

And the second is really a statement about what you said that you would lower your prices on the open lots to keep the competition out of your neighborhood to get the bids is something that I totally believe in and use here everyday !

Ric
11-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Ric

I have one question and one statement :

What product would you use on these open lots since we have tons of developments here in my area that have open spaces since the real estate market went in the tank ?

And the second is really a statement about what you said that you would lower your prices on the open lots to keep the competition out of your neighborhood to get the bids is something that I totally believe in and use here everyday !

Kevin

The competitive bid is based on the fact I can do the treatment start to finish and never get out of my truck. 25 acres of open lots won't take but a few hours to treat. I have a Herd Bait Spreader that hooks to my Reese hitch on the truck, or a ATV or a Zero Turn mower. I simply load the spreader and drive the area. To buy a Herd Spreader just for this job would not be profitable, But I already have a Herd Spreader and it has made me plenty of money on large properties. The only problem is finding those large properties willing to buy Fire Ant control. I am lucky in the fact I have several accounts I use the Herd Spreader on.

I believe I might be the only bidder on this job. I am bidding it to a former employee who sends me lots of work. It is only fair I let him get some gravy also. I think the guys I network with will tell you I am not selfish and pretty fair about letting them make money. But then I need them more than they need me.

cgaengineer
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Ric, don't you wish you had the option to unlock the rear differential on your ATV for driving on lawns? Mine would be perfect for spraying...even has a digital speedo but the thing can really destroy the turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snapper12
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Is it just me, or does that whole area look like it's just going to role off to sea....

Ric
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Ric, don't you wish you had the option to unlock the rear differential on your ATV for driving on lawns? Mine would be perfect for spraying...even has a digital speedo but the thing can really destroy the turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

CGA

While there is a lot of application Equipment designed for ATV and Herd Spreaders being one, I don't own a ATV. I use Golf Carts for some application which I rent for the day. This job is so open I will use a Pick up Truck.

Snapper12

That is Florida. Water Water everywhere and not a drop to drink. We are under water restrictions. BTW these vacant lots are for sale for only million each. But remember, Rich people are also the cheapest and that is how they got rich.