PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs-Tulips etc...

Tony Harrell
08-19-2002, 04:46 AM
Just got several mailers about bulbs, tulips and such. They look good except when they wither. According to the mailer, you're supposed to clip the tops after they die off and let them wither. That looks just awful to me. Do you mix them with other plants to counter this or just rip them up when they die and plant new bulbs in the fall every year?

AL Inc
08-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Tony- We generally try to mix them with other perennials and shrubs to camoflauge(sp?) the withering bulb foliage. Daylilies are great for this. I have found that if you cut back the foliage too soon, the blooms aren't as good the following year. Tulips we treat as an annual and re-plant every year. Daffodils are great because they are tough and come back year after year after year. Good luck with your bulb planting, I have found this to be a great add-on service in the fall. Mike

LawnLad
08-19-2002, 01:22 PM
We plant daffodils in bed areas that are more naturalized to begin with. This way when the bulb is done blooming, we can either tie down the leaves or just let them go floppy in the back sections of the bed or ground cover areas.

Tulips we treat as an annual and pull them in late May as we prep the beds for summer annuals. The bulbs aren't really hardy enough to last year in and year out - though many do if you let them go. If we waited until the third or fourth week to pull the tulip leaves (when they pull off the bulb easily), our summer annuals would be behind. Not worth having lousy looking bulbs in the ground doing nothing at Memorial Day.

Tony Harrell
08-27-2002, 05:50 AM
For you guys that pull your bulbs, do you save them for the fall or just put new ones down? I've noticed that tulips cost between 20-5o cents per bulb on the mailers I have. They're less in greater quantity than 100.

Mark50
08-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Since you are in NC Tulips should be cuttoff or yanked out. The weather in the spring is too warm for the bulbs to regenerate and they do not get enough cooling in the winter to meet their requriements. Always buy the largest Tulip bulb as this gives a much larger flower. One last tip. Turn the tulip bulb with the flat side of the bulb facing to the outside of the bed. That is were the largest leaf comes out of the bulb and will give the bed a fuller look.

KerryB
08-28-2002, 09:53 AM
The leaves can also be braided if you can spare the time. This gives a very neat well kept appearance while letting the bulbs store food for next year.

vardener
09-16-2002, 11:33 PM
I'll use that braided idea. Good call.