PDA

View Full Version : Cover Lawn with loom?

AAATreeLandscape
08-19-2002, 09:00 AM
I have a customer that isn't happy with his existing grass and claims that the previous guy who hydro seeded his yard used a cheap mix. I am doing some land grading and he wants me to cover his entire lawn with like an inch of loom and hydro the whole thing again. My question is will this work ok and what should I do to prep the ground or existing lawn before the loom and seed is set down? Thanks so much!

1grnlwn
08-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Loam? Depending on the size, I would aerate the heck out of it before top dressing. Try to keep from making stratified layers. PH test and proper timing and fertilization.

Mark

tremor
08-19-2002, 06:43 PM
LOOM is an old New Englan thing. Kinda cute.
Here. most say LOAM, but we're on the cusp. There are an equal number of Yankees & RedSox fans just north of here.

Marks right. Whatever you do, don't create a layer. Shallow incorporation is key to proper rooting & drainage later on.

One other option is a very shallow tiller. NOTE VERY SHALLOW! Don't make more work for yourself than you have to. Even a Reno-Thin or Renovator should suffice here, but if nothing else, triple aerate before spreading the top-soil.

Lime according to a soil test of a sampling of both the new & old soils.

Use a good starter fert too.

Steve